User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uselessmail: were you pushing yourself too hard while you played? it might just be you worked too hard and your body wasn't used to it (happens to me sometimes). singles normally does make you move more than doubles, though you might feel more tired in doubles since you hit everything harder in doubles. i don't know what causes cramps, but it seems unlikely that your food was not enough.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Fish View Post
    uselessmail: were you pushing yourself too hard while you played? it might just be you worked too hard and your body wasn't used to it (happens to me sometimes). singles normally does make you move more than doubles, though you might feel more tired in doubles since you hit everything harder in doubles. i don't know what causes cramps, but it seems unlikely that your food was not enough.
    Well ya I guess I was pushing hard. Whether it was too much, I honestly do not know. I do know though that I wasn't sweating as much as I usually do after a 3 setter in doubles. I was feeling good about myself and the mistakes I made weren't due to fatigue but just some careless shots here n there. Overall I was having a good day, you know some days when you just feel good about playing and everything clicks and then other days when just nothing works out and you lose everything... well I sure was having one of the former!

I reason I guess may have been the food I had eaten before playing. The game started at 5.30 in the evening. I was busy in the lab in the morning and could only go to the cafeteria by around 2.30pm. There was nothing much left so I had a bowl full of Salad. All different kinds of leafy veggies along with one boiled egg. I was feeling full and satisfied actually. I wasn't feeling hungry either when I started playing, so I know that it wasn't the amount of food that was the problem. Could it have been that the amount of Carbs were lacking? I did eat 2 bars of Snickers in between the games but it probably wasn't enough!

Ah well!!! I have been doing a lot of soul searching since yesterday. It pains me more thinking that I had 'prepared' for this eventuality and it still happened, with even more severity! I'll just have to accept it and move on I guess...

Thank you guys for the support and advice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drink chocolate milk. It's the ultimate recovery drink. There are so many articles about this. Here's an example of the research . I guess you can drink before and after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive had them, Ive fixed them. Im a sports massage therapist. If it happens every time you play esp in the 1 leg, most likely you have a minor "pulled muscle" as such in your calf (a knot), this needs to be rubbed out by some1 who knows what they are doing. You are doing the correct thing by stretching the calves but its like an elastic band with a knot in it, if you stretch it, the knot is still there and you may make the knot worse!!

Also what can help is strengthening the calfs. I used to get cramped calfs after 2/3 hours of play (weak calfs from the length of time of play) so i started running hills and doing calf raises with weights which has sorted this problem.

My belief with the story above is your footwork for singles is different and you could be forcing your feet more to get the extra distance but as you play a lot of doubles which is shorter more explosive movements, your legs could be very tight so with this extra forcement of movement, the legs are getting tired and cramping.

Did you rest for 2/3 days before this tournament??

I would advice a good sports massage on the legs front and back to get them all loosened out and the knots sorted. Then get back into a stretching rountine. Also with the amount you play especially intense, do you take a recovery drink or eat after you play?? Always advisible to help the muscles recover faster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start having Tonic water before, during and after a match. Was recommended by a doctor and stopped my cramps.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alom View Post
    Start having Tonic water before, during and after a match. Was recommended by a doctor and stopped my cramps.
    Well the FDA disagrees with you!
    http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm108799.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't work!

http://journals.lww.com/neurotodayon...___Some.2.aspx

The above journal mentions that the reasoning for the FDA control was due to " quinine use resulted in serious and life-threatening reactions in 24 cases". Not because it did not work.

Quote Originally Posted by uselessmail View Post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2