Smashing Cross-Court Trouble

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kenny, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Kenny

Kenny Regular Member

High School
    I was just wondering....How should my body be positioned, ie. where should my feet face, how should i rotate my arm/wrist if i want to smash cross court? I am a right handed player but i don't know what kind of positioning i should have in order to achieve a cross court smash....any help would be appreciated!

2. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

theres never any static or standard position... badminton is about dynamic movement and positioning. everything affects the shot, not just how you're positioned before the shot, since you're never really ever in the same "perfect position" to execute a shot in a game, right?

a cross court smash should be done the same as if you were smashing straight. you have to consider what position you're in right before you execute your smash. the rest comes from your arm and body in adjusting the aim.

i might also add that cross court smashing is often limited in effectiveness... atleast thats how i see it. i'm sure there are others that share my opinion.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

depends on the situation... are you smashign around-the-head, or forehand? did you get a straigth lift along the line, or do you plan to cross smash a cross lift?

if you do it forehand on a straight lift (most common one) try to prepare like a straight shot (maybe jump..i dunno) and then try to 'open up' your racket 'face' as late a possible (deception) and rotate the rest of your body a litlle more.

if you do it ath (around-the-head) do the same, cycle through your regular ath steps. and hit your ath 'later' (your swing start at your left shoulder, swing threw more than a regualr ath smash)

on a cross lift...I'm nto gonna talk about it..a straight smash is 80% of the time more effective..

also rember the time whén to cross smash...you can get yourself into serious trouble...peak in the corner of your eye to see if your opponent is hugging the sideline (standing way to far on one side) or for a real finnishing shot..