getting tumblers

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by tonyw85, Aug 12, 2006.

1. tonyw85

tonyw85 Regular Member

Say both you and your opponent are at the net, and he hits a nice tumbler. You get to the birdie in time and can catch it just below the net level, and... what do you do? Do you hit it as soon as possible, or wait a bit for it to stop tumbling? Whenever this happens to me, I, being taught to catch the bird at as high a point as possible, hit the bird back right away, but most of the time, because its tumbling, the bird hits the racket at a weird angle (or even by the feather side) and ends up going out of bounds or into the net.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Usually, you will have to wait until it stops tumbling. That's the main reason to play tumblers -- to force your opponent to wait!

It will be difficult to play an accurate stroke while the shuttle is tumbling, although sometimes you can play a tumbler yourself! You need to match the spin direction rather than go against it.

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    If it is more than about 6in below the net I say let it drop and execute a good lift and start over in the rally. If you are quick enough to catch it there or higher you can hit it flat or more attacking without too much trouble, but you connot play a stroke whilst it is tumpling, it has to be a quick movement to hit the shuttle, otherwise it is easy to carry the shuttle, hit it twice, and generally not hit a quality shot.

4. tonyw85

tonyw85 Regular Member

mmm I see. Thanks!

5. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    How about a cross court net? Or a flick over your opponents head?

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Cross court net would be very dangerous unless you are very accurate and skilled in this shot. since your opponent has tumbled the previous net shot he is close to the net and attacking, so a cross court is likely to come across him, so unless it is perfect it is likely to get put away.

Flick over him is one of the options as a quick stroke. better than cross court, and more attacking than waiting and lifting, but difficult to execute well.

7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

If you get there really quickly, you can go for the brush kill while the bird is still above the tape. Tumblers generally fly up a little more than hairpin net shots (unless you tumble and it rolls over the net) so there is always that possibility. I would use the brush because it is a bit more of a "dirty" shot and you won't be hitting the shot cleanly at all.

It's effective, but might damage the bird as well, so perhaps something to save for competition?

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think there are basically two reasons to use the brush kill:
    1. The shuttle is extremely tight to the net, so that an ordinary "tap" kill would hit the tape;
    2. You are off balance/ out of position, and need to be able to hit the shuttle from a slightly awkward position -- the sideways movement of the brush helps you to adjust your hitting point.
    In other situations, I would use a simpler net kill because it is a more consistent stroke (the brush is harder).

And there's no point saving your brush net kills for competition! You need to practise them in ordinary games so that they become reliable. And if you're worried about damaging the shuttle, then you wouldn't play any slices either....

9. BuntaMarui

BuntaMarui Regular Member

Student
    Since your opponent is at the net too and tumbling shots seem to be a problem to u , i would wait for it to stabilise and do a cross-court clear to earn time