What are the popular badminton magazine in Asia and Europe?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by cirrus, Aug 14, 2006.

1. cirrus

cirrus New Member

Can anyone tell me which are the good badminton magazines to subscribe in Asia and Europe? Do they take subscribtion in America? Especially the ones which covers equipement, tournament, and player interviews. Thanks. :rolleyes:

2. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Hi, Cirrus,

Unfortunately in Asia, there isn't many badminton magazines out there despite the popularity of the sports. I have lived both in Hong Kong and Singapore, and I have never come across a magazine fully dedicated to badminton until a while back when the new Badminton Asia magazine was launched (see the link).

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33481

The second issue has just been out.

This magazine is sold at SGD10 each (or USD5.90 equivalent), which is pretty expensive compare to other sports magazines or lifestyle magazines. It is also not sold in common news stands, but at specific sports chain stores. So it is focusing on a very narrow group of readers (i.e. the badminton fanatics :p ).

I guess for any magazine to survive, it needs commercial backing and this has to come from corporate advertising in the magazne. There were not many on the inaugural issue. This reflects the irony in this part of the world where the badminton is popular and many great players have come and gone, there just arn't propotionate enough money coming from the commercial side compare to other less popular sports. Most of the fundings for the players usually come from the state/government, which are limited.

I sincerely hope that this magazine would survive.

3. cirrus

cirrus New Member

Thanks Linus,

I am completely surprised that there's not a main one by the Asian badminton player population.... Well, I am guessing that online news and blogs are the outlets of badminton fanatics now. But having a hard copy mag will legitimize the success of a certain lifestyle, badminton will have to strive it's way up to somewhat mainstream to have corporations putting money in mag advertising. This is how skateboarding become what it is now if we look at 10 years ago. Getting more players and young bloods internationally into this sport is seed of it all I presume.

Have you ever read the badminton mag from UK or Scottland? Are they any good?

4. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Nope. I am not familiar with the UK's badminton magazines. So would let other UK or European-base members to answer that.