Can the 21 rally point system extend the lifespan of pros?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ChocoChipWaffle, Aug 15, 2006.

1. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

The circuit right now has alot of older players whom i don't want to see retiring so soon... like for example i like peter gade alot, and i hope to see him win something big over the next few years...and so will the new 21 rally point allow them to do this more easily?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I don't think so.
    In WS, now the winner has to take the games to 21 point, before it was only to 11 points.

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Taking it by Category is th best way, since each game has been altered timewise:

MS: Games are almost all shorter, so Stamina is less of an issue and speed is more of an issue. This helps younger players, since in general speed comes with youth and stamina is better with age. Thus new system should disadvantage older players

WS:Better games are shorter, but most are longer. For the opposite reason to MS this should give advantage to older, more experienced players.

MD: For the same reasons as MS this should advantage younger players, however MD is very much more about control and tatics, so I say the split should be even

WD: Games are much shorter, so should be advantage quicker players. This has been omost visible in the Korean pairs, who have been much closer and even beaten the chinese players under the new system. The koreans are shorter and slighter (with exception of Lee hyo Jung) and so CHN cannot rely on power and stamina to break their opponents in a long game.

XD:As MD, should advantage Younger players, but even moreso than MD tactics and control are important, but I still say even.

One thing that is noticeable over all disiplines Is the added importance of mental stability and being able to focus on every point and play it well, without dipping your level. Strong mental players, and people who could not concentrate for long matches previousley should do better.

For this reason I think the ENG XD pair robertson/emms should be more successfull, since their biggest weakness is maintaining their concentration throughout the later stages of a long match, which should be aleviated only playing for half an hour at a time. I would not be surprised to see them win a Major tournament now. (which I would have been before).

Lin Dan I say will not be as successfull, since he has occasions where his concentration dips and he tended before to be a slow starter. We will see.

4. rlaurel_7

rlaurel_7 Regular Member

Student
    I think the new scoring system will encourage veteran players because the rally point system gives the weaker or lower ranked player a better chance. In Gade's case he is now starting to win again showing good form beat Lin Dan of China in the China Master and Lee Chong Wei in the Thomas Cup...
    Well say whatever you wanna say thats only my view.