Long and short.

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kwun, Jun 21, 2001.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    do you guys have problem adjusting between long and short rackets?

i use long rackets regularly, but couple of nights ago in the gym, i decided to switch to a short racket. and i had the toughest time adjusting, i need to conciously try to hit with different timing.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Re: Long and short of it.

kwun, i had similar experience too but the adjustment maybe not as bad as your.
    I think it is more have to do with adjusting to head heavier racket to regular or lighter head rackets, and not the adjustment to the sweet spot difference of 1cm.

3. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    lol i had a long time adjusting to this new long racquet i have(ti7 3u).
    i used to use that fake cab23 from RD which was a regular length......so my timing back then was totally different.....i tended to hit the bird slower cos the shaft was shorter....but now that the shaft is longer, it forces me to swing the racquet faster otherwise i'd hit the "Q" at the bottom of the racquet......
    so ya, i'm having a hard time adjusting

4. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I might have had this problem before when i switched from my Cab 8 to my Ti-10. at first i thought because my Ti-10 was long i couldn't play properly but then again i thought it could have been the weight, head shape, balance etc etc.... So i'm not sure if switching between long and regualar length rackets is the problem.

I seem to be able to play comfortably with both now. I'm currently using a Slim-10 which is regular lengthed...

5. Jeff L

Jeff L Guest

i was using my AB 900, which was regular. then i got a Ti-10, i noticed practically no change. no problem switching at all, i compared them. and itsn only a centimeter or so longer

6. bosch

bosch Guest

yah kwun, i had that problem when i switched from my Carlton Kevlar Hi-T to my old Ti8. actually i think that when switching from a standard to long racquet you can feel a difference, maybe just psychologically, but it does require an adjustment period although i haven't seen much help with a longer shaft hmm.

7. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

I have recently found that I actually frame more long racquets than I do regular ones. Don't ask why but I just do. I remedy it by holding the handle slightly higher up. I think my timing is just more suited to regular length. Power wise I don't really see a difference.

8. Howard

Howard Regular Member

Student
    I don't not,but i think it's just me because long and short don;t metter to me just witching ffom oval haed to iso head.I can adjust to long back to short with in a min.

9. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Actually for me,

Adjusting from short to long is ok, even instantly, but the other way round takes a few minutes.

I regularly switch between my Carbonex 25, Ti-10 and my MP-100 even within a game just try different ideas. ( I'm a little undecided as to which actually serves my need better .... )

Power wise? There is some subtle differences, but not trully significant.

But reflex and control is indeed some difference. But it may be due to the head shape too.