Advice much appreciated ! =(

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by PandaLord, Aug 18, 2006.

1. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    I just got my rackets back from being restrung yesterday and i'm so unhappy with it. My shots were unbelievably weak (struggled to get over to backline) and there was no more 'ka-POW' sound from it. I believe that its due to a high tension.

1) Usually let my father handle these things but i want to be more independant in my equipment,etc. Problem is, here in Brunei, people say '60','63'..'70' or something ! Does anyone know what this is in actual KG/pounds ? (its 63 now btw, whatever it is, but i know its too high for me).

2) I also restrung it in a different manner, i think the string-ment is called 'Indonesian style' or something where the it looks like a string (the 3rd from below) is missing. Does anyone else use this, what does it do ? I might restring it back to cover the whole thing since i cant afford to reduce tension AND THEN realise its this type of pattern also.

Additional info - I use MP77 with BG66 strings almost religiously since i cant afford to test out other strings. I heard people say its bad and so no pros use it though, quite disheartening..

Help is so much appreciated, i feel like i have no mood to play if i continue playing in such a manner.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

For you info, kg to lb conversion. 1kg~2.2lb so if you have 63kg ~ 28.5lb. it's your call to see if that is higher than what you use to.
    You can ask the stringer to string it with regular yy pattern. If stringer would not do it, take it to the next shop.
    BG66 is a very good string IMHO. it just break too quick for most of hard hitter. Some people avoid it because it snap in the middle of a point quite often.

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
  4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

63lb is 28.5kg. 63lb would break any badminton racket. the thread posted above explains most.

Agrree that BG66 is not good if you hit hard, or are inconsistent as it is thin, and expensive, so breaks easier and more expensive.

5. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

28lb and no power ? Sounds like the tension is too high. If you are not careful, you arm is going to hurt from either the shock or from over exerting yourself trying to make the shuttle fly.

6. silentheart

Sorry, my fault, and you are right. I was day dreaming when I wrote the last post. Sorry again.

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Man, you have severe marriage symptoms :D :p :cool: :).

8. silentheart

Nah, that is when you just got married and still in honeymoon. I only wish I have a window office that can see the people walking down the street and fix my eyes on the good looking girl only.:D I was wondering today is Friday, what the FROCK am I doing in the office and chatting on the BF while I should go over to a gym and kill a couple of birdies.

Dirty Old Man

#8 silentheart, Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Dink! You said it MASTER :cool:.

10. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    Omg, so 60 is actually 60kgs ? If so im playing with 27.3 lb of tension. Im pretty sure alot of people here dont go that high and i doubt im one of those few that do.

As for the 3rd cross missing, i read the (whole..long) discussion :p and i guess it would be safe to say that it would be rather safe to play with it ? Perhaps with a bit of durability cut off. I might just go with it again and see if it does give me anything (even if its psychological boosting)

11. silentheart

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think this numbering system dates back to the old days and has nothing to do with lbs or kg. Perhaps someone from Brunei or old stringers from the days of Wong Peng Soon can help you. I remember Wong Peng Soon used to string his racquet to a ref number quite similar to those you mentioned.