Any Tips for a newbie stringer???

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Shuttle_Slicer, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Shuttle_Slicer

Shuttle_Slicer Regular Member

Cardio-Vascular Surgeon
    I'm going to start stringing soon and i want to open a local business doing it....since there are alot of badminton players and the stringing labour is very expensive...if anyone has any advice i would be very pleased to review it before i start stringing my first racket! I am buy this stringing machine and if you could give me any advice on using it...that would also be great!!

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    If you do it as a business, an electronic machine is suitable. I assume you are looking at more than 10 racquets day.

3. Shuttle_Slicer

Cardio-Vascular Surgeon
    Thanks for the Advice!

thanks for the advice but...this is the only stringer that is going to fit my budget...:crying: if anyone else could give me any tips for my stringing machine...then i humbly thank you!

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u can opt for a cranking one.
    drop weight is just too slow if u r in the business

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If you are going into the stringing business your criteria is to get the cheapest machine that can meet your requirements. To buy a machine that fits your budget, regardless of whether it meets your needs, may not be such a good idea.
    As a business, you need to get a machine that has a very fast stringing job turnaround, one that can string badminton, squash, and tennis racquets, and a machine that allows you to both string racquets very fast and at the same time string racquets at very high tensions for special customer needs.
    You would be best off getting the cheapest Eagnas 6-point, Hold-down, crank machine that can string all types of racquets. Also you need to make sure that, if necessary, the side arms/supports can be moved outwards to give you more room when speed stringing without side supports (effectively using the machine as a 2-point machie), usually at lower tensions, is required. For higher tensions, which require more time, you can then use the side supports.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Shuttle Slicer, if you are considering the Eagnas AT-200 then it is a bad idea. This machine is ideal for the DIY player who may string a few racquets here and there for friends, but it is too slow if you are setting up a stringing business. This machine is only good for badminton racquets and its fixed side supports cannot be moved out of the way. It will be a nightmare if you are looking for fast stringing turnaround, which only 2-point machines (gold standard for fast turnaround) is capable of.

7. Shuttle_Slicer

Cardio-Vascular Surgeon
    Sorry Guys...

Very sorry but i forgot to post the link of the stringing machine i'm deciding to get:crying: ...thanks for all of the advice so far!:p Well heres the link its the Eagnus ST-250. http://www.eagnas.com/st250.html#yst250

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Eagnas ST-250 has better head support (built-in load spreader). But for a business you should seriously consider a stand for the ST-250 or a complete stand-up machine with fixed swivel clamps.

Electronic machines are much more consistent than crank, plus the constant pull and pre-stretch features. If you live in the US, you might want to consider the Babolat Star 5 at USD3,000. Financing (monthly payment) is available. Another brand is the Gamma 8800 ELS. Both companies offer excellent supports and services. With Eagnas, you have to be lucky.

#8 Pete LSD, Aug 20, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) This is a badminton machine only. The mounting system will not work for most of the tennis racquet.
    2) Make sure the machine come with PN-3050 floating clamp, not PN-3091 or PN-3091P floating clamp. they can only go up to about 25 lb (may be 27 if you are good)
    3) Is this a stringing only shop or are you going to carry some other product too? If it is a stringing only shop, make sure you take cash only to avoid donating your hard earned $$$ to your goverment.
    4) If this is a stringing only shop, don't quit your regular job, just consider this as some extra income.

Good luck

10. Shuttle_Slicer

Cardio-Vascular Surgeon
    Thanks for all of your help so far!! I think i am ready to open my shop!!

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The Eagnas ST-250 is a suspension mounting system with V-shaped side supports. It is a little faster than the ST-200 but it is still a very slow machine if you plan to go into the stringing business. Also the ST-250, being a suspension system, cannot be used as a 2-point machine for speed as the two points do not support the frame at all.
    If cost is a factor then shop for a used 6-point hold-down system machine with fixed or swivel clamps that can string tennis, squash, and badminton racquets. Get a crank machine.

12. Shuttle_Slicer

Cardio-Vascular Surgeon
    The ST-250 is a crank machine isn't it??

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, but if you use this machine for your business your productivity will be way down. This is not a professional machine specifically designed for sports stores. Your competitor, with a professional simple 2-point hold-down machine, can outstring your ST-250 4 to 1. Now that is real business. You are going into serious business, not indulging in a part-time hobby.

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Not to put you down, buddy. ;)

However, from the time you get your machine, to the point that you can get a string job done with decent quality within an acceptable timly manner, it requires a lot of practice, and might be some painful experience as well. Here are some tips based on some personal experience:

1. Never practice the 1st several trials on expensive rackets / strings. Usually, it means a waste of $$ and put risk on your rackets. Start with some junk string and some cheap rackets. Then, move on to the real job once you have the "touch".

2. Start with low tension (e.g. 20lb or around). Get several trials under belt, then move to higher tension, if necessary.

3. Try to stay positive, if you hit any bump during the learning process. I've seen quite a few local players, they had such great expecation to "save $" when they purchased their own machine. However, most of them did quit after they found out the process is actually harder than they ever thought about. They mostly gave up, and ended sold the machine or let it collecting dust.

4. It takes time to build you reputation, but it only takes 2-3 bad ones to ruin it. Therefore, take more time to refine your work, before jumping into the business in like 20 min after you open the package. The relationship between a stringer and a customer should be "trust". Ppl will come to you (might take a bit time, though) if you are reliable, and doing a good job on their "babes".

5. Practice, practice and more practice... ;)

#14 LazyBuddy, Aug 21, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching