Any Place close to North Bay, ON

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by martin8768, Aug 20, 2006.

1. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    i've been asking people i know if their is any badminton club in north bay or even tournaments (other then school tournament) because im prety sure their isent a club, and the YMCA sucks for trying to play badminton, i went their once because the CFB gym was closed and the whole gym was booked by a "birthday party" and they kicked me out, anyways, the CFB gym is a great place to go but i need to invite people i know, their isent any organised badminton that i know of in north bay, can anyone point out somewere? someone said soemthing about Canadore college but im not sure.

2. txyu

txyu Regular Member

Manager Fitness Facility
    I think CFB was one of the only places to play badminton since the Canadore team folded a few years back.

There are still a couple of North Bay badminton players tho. CFB should have a guy by the name of Paul Best....or might know how to contact him.
    He's your best bet to trying to find a regular group to play with.

Worse case scenario, you drive 1.5hrs to Sudbury and play with us.

As for tournaments, Northern tournaments are generally held in either Sudbury or Sault St. Marie.
    North Bay used to hold them but once again, it died with the Canadore team.
    Us Northerners now travel down south to play...Oktoberfest, KW Valentine, Georgian, etc. I think our first trip will be to Oktoberfest.
    There may be a Sudbury tournament in the fall so if I remember, I'll PM you about it.
    Hope this helps
    Tim

#2 txyu, Aug 23, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  3. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    thanks alot, maybe you can email me some info about the sudbury club, depending on the time and frequency of the meetings I might be able to come:) i hope so, just need a ride, which could be a pain for my parents, but next time i go to CFB I will ask them about the badminton or the person u mentioned. thanks for the invite thow.

4. txyu

txyu Regular Member

Manager Fitness Facility
    It'll be a long drive for ther person giving you the ride....

1.5hrs here, then 3 hrs playing then 1.5hrs home

Usually, we play Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8pm-11pm.

I think it will be changing this year but not sure as to what days or times. I'll let you know tho.

Calibre is from intermediate to a little below advanced (B level players, A players being advanced)

We play with primarily feather during tournament season and nylon in the summer. But we usually don't have an issue playing with nylon if there's no tournaments coming up soon.

We generally travel as a group to tournaments and you are more then welcome as part of the group if you need to cut costs for hotels etc. We also have a small contingent from Sault St. Marie that travels with us at times.

I'll make some phone calls and msn'ing to see if I can gather some more info for you for North Bay specifically.

Keep an eye on this post.

Tim