Switching from ISO to oval

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by P1x44r, Aug 20, 2006.

1. P1x44r

P1x44r Regular Member

I only started playing badminton several weeks ago and my current racket is an ISO from Carlton. I don't really like it all that much(it's heavy), but I'd stick to it regardless if not for one concern.

I'm afraid that playing with an ISO will make my life more difficult once if switch to oval racket(which I'm planning on doing at some point). The head of my racket is larger than what most others use where I play and I don't know if I'll have trouble down the road adjusting to a smaller head.

Do you think it's a valid concern or should I not worry about it at all? I tried friend's Yonex MP30 today and it did feel like a much better racket compared to mine. Lighter, more comfortable for me to hold, etc. I don't really want to spend the money on one yet unless you tell me that I should stick to an oval racket from the beginning because transition might be painful later on. I feel that it is now when I develop my technique and I'm afraid that I might rely on ISO head too much to switch to ovals afterwards.

What do you think?

Thank you.

2. Lupine

Lupine New Member

I don't think the transition would be all that difficult, especially considering how long you've been playing. You're still developing your skillset (I've been playing for many years and am hopefully still doing the same!) so changing racket size & weight shouldn't be that bad for you.

And welcome to the sport! :)

3. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    Personally, I would worry more about the weight than the racket head shape. If you feel the racket doesn't suit you, try another one. I switched from oval to iso heads a few years ago and it only took me a few rallies to re-adjust. Th e technique doesn't really change, IMO.

4. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    Agreed with Tweak, perhaps you should worry about string tension, racket flexibility and weight more than the shape of the head. With technique you'll be able to hit well regardless of the shape but tension/flexibility/weight can dampen your play horribly if it doesnt fit you.

5. P1x44r

P1x44r Regular Member

Alright guys, what weight/string tension would you recommend for a beginner who's leaning towards tactical and not power play? I use drop shots a lot and smahes aren't a major part of my game really. I guess that makes me more of a defensively oriented player.

Thanks.

6. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    Most people would probably suggest 21-23 lbs, and then 2 lbs up on the cross (correct me if I'm mistaken) for most people. Not too much tension for a beginner, but intermediates/advanced players are still able to play with that weight comfortably as well.

Personally, I had my racket strung at 23/25 and it's suiting me well. Low budget though, so I can't experiment with different strings and tensions until I snap my current ones...

Added: I forgot to mention in my post, different types of strings have different properties as well. In addition to tension, the type of string you use can also be a part of your playing style.

7. snoopy

snoopy Regular Member

i play with both oval and iso rackets (carlton airblade elite and ns8000/9000 and at700) i have no real problems crossing over head shape, the diffrence in weight can be more of a concern.