Establishing a new line rule for badminton

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ChocoChipWaffle, Aug 20, 2006.

1. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

I personally hate people who cheat, or line judges that are biased or mistakingly judge something wrong.

i saw a tennis match a few days ago, and tennis seems to have made a new rule for line judging- if a player thinks a line call (that didn't go his way) was wrong, then he ask the umpire to do what they call a "Player challenge" Then, with those computer moniter playback thingies, they virtually show the shot on the big screen moniter, and if the ball has landed in, the rally is played over again, with no points awarded to neither players.

I think we should adopt a same type of concept to line calls, since it really is frustrating to lose a very tight match because some punk linesman didn't have the eyesight to see it, or the linesman is biased to a certain player. I think if a player hits a shot that is in, he deserves a point, period.

2. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

And how many times have you played at a tournament that has TV equipment, or even line judges?

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

It might only get used at the big international opens,
    but what's wrong with using TV replay when it is available?
    Don't they already do that in cricket and rugby?

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Nothing wrong I would think, if they're able to do the replays fast enough and not hold up play unduly. Badminton is a much faster game and there are more rallies, but I suppose with more experience all round, the productivity level will go up. Time will tell. Then there'll be more accuracy, less disputes and fairness, hopefully.

5. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

It's an easy way to get a rest, isn't it - complain about a line call.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Maybe they should issue a yellow card for unnecessary delays of this nature. ;)

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i believe what they're proposing in tennis is that each player gets 1 'line call challenge' per set. if you do challenge, and the replay finds that you're right, you get to challenge again in the same set. however, if the replay shows that you're wrong, you're not allowed to challenge again until the next set. seems fair to me .... and it'll limit the number of interruptions ...

8. Chire

Chire Regular Member

Well yeah, but there's much more money involved in tennis. Usually badminton matches are recorded with like, 2 or 3 cameras, sometimes even less, while in high class tennis matches there are like, 8 cameras plus that Electronic Hawk-eye technology they use for, not to replace the line judges, but to make the final decision when there's an argument.

Anyway, we should at first get slow-motion from different angles before even thinking about such an expensive purchase. Note that the tennis courts the tournaments are played on are tennis courts only. Badminton tournaments are often played in stadiums and such, it would be quite a hardship to always establish the system for a single tournament.

9. Will Ko

Will Ko Regular Member

Part-time Student, Full-time Badminton wanabee
    i wouldn't mind seeing the virtual replays like tennis and cricket where the computer can glide at any angle and see if it hit the line or not.maybe in the future

10. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    Instead of getting into blaming the linesman, cop it on the chin and volunteer to help them out sometimes. How do you know your call was correct? Probably half of the time it will be a TV replay that proves you wrong anyway.