Korea Open 2006: Day 2 (22/08)

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by badMania, Aug 21, 2006.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I am quite impressed with the way they spread out the matches. Tomorrow's preliminary rounds will be MS and WS Round of 64 and XD Round of 32. Wednesday's will be MS, WS, MD, WD Round of 32.

Here are some selected matches with predictions in bold:

MS ROUND OF 64
    Roman Spito vs Simon Santoso -- I hope Simon can reach at least the third round (round of 16). If he wins tomorrow, he should play Shoji Sato in the next round.

Andrew Smith (9/16) vs Kuan Beng Hong -- suprisingly, the English player is seeded. Can he beat the out-of-form Malaysian?

Boonsak Ponsana (5/8) vs Sony Dwi Kuncoro (MATCH OF THE ROUND) -- as I mentioned earlier, I don't think Sony can win.

Kendrick Lee Yen Hui vs James Chua -- Kendrick should win and face possibly Eric Pang in the next round.

Stanislav Puhkov vs Taufik Hidayat -- should be an easy workout for Taufik, although I won't be surprised if the Russian player creates some problem for Taufik.

Yousuke Nakanishi vs Lee Tsuen Tseng -- both players won the recent opens. The Malaysian player to win.

Sairul Amar Ayob vs Przemyslaw Wacha (9/16) -- despite being seeded, I don't think the Polish player can beat Sairul.

WS ROUND OF 64
    Petya Nedeltcheva vs Julia Wong Pei Xian -- can young Julia beat the more experienced Bulgarian player?

Yoon Yeo Sook vs Saina Nehwal -- I hope the young Indian player can progress.

Helene Nystedt vs Li Li -- shouldn't be a problem for Li. Her next opponent is likely to be Cheng Shao-Chieh.

Xing Aiying vs Kanako Yonekura (MATCH OF THE ROUND) -- a tough first round match for the youngster. The Jap girl should be too strong for her.

XD ROUND OF 32
    Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir (1) vs Koo Kien Keat/Wong Pei Tty -- a tricky tie for the top seed, but, shouldn't be a problem.

Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms (3/4) vs Jonas Rasmussen/Britta Andersen (MATCH OF THE ROUND) -- likewise, a tricky tie for the English pair as the Danish pair has improved in the past few tournaments.

Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter-Juhl (5/8) vs Anggun Nugroho/Vita Marissa -- a tough match for both pairs. The Danish pair has a slight edge.

Mohd Rizal/Gresya Polii vs Yoo Yeong Seong/Ha Jung Eun -- contrary to the report in Jawa Post, the winner of the qualifying match earlier today is not going to meet Lee/Lee in the first round. Now, Rizal/Gresya face a tough encounter against another young pair. I hope they can go through.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Talking about Andrew Smith of England, I was surprised to see Ghaffa Aamir's name on the draw list. I thought he has retired after the Melbourne Commonwealth Games as England's no.1 singles player. Is he making a comeback and will he be competing in the Madrid WC? :confused:

3. rhinovinda

rhinovinda Regular Member

Scientist
    HOw was Flandy and his women partner? Don't they qualify?.

4. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    flandy is former MD player

nurlita is falndy's partner, they lost to korean pairs with 3 sets

#4 taufik-ist, Aug 21, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic..

badMania, you're still here, i thought you're on your way w/your trip already??..;)
    anyways, thanks for the preview..:cool:

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I will be going off on Tuesday evening :D

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Where did you hear that?

Maybe there was a mis written article. He is no longer British number 1 rankings wise. Definitely not retired though.

8. event

event Regular Member

My choices for match of the round would be Yoon / Nehwal or Jang Soo Young vs. Tine Rasmussen. Both of these young Korean girls are really improving. In theory, they have a home court advantage but in practice, with 4 courts going and few spectators and no one in Korea knowing anything about professional badminton (in other words, few in the crowd will have ever heard of them before), they aren't likely to hear much cheering. They might "feel" the support in other ways, though.

Yesterday, the only match with a cheering section was the last one because it was the only match in progress and featured a Korean pair vs. a non-Korean pair (Indonesia's Flandy/Lita). It was also very close and featured some spectacular rallies.

9. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    I think they meant retired as injured during MCG...
    hehe.. I think he injured his ankle during MCG... thus out of action for a period of time:)

10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Early results in XD:
    Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir beat Koo Kien Keat/Wong Pei Tty 21-17, 14-21, 21-15 -- phew...it proved to be real tricky test for the top seed, with the Malaysian pair managing to push them to 3 sets. Their next opponent on Thursday will be Ingo Kindervater/Katrin Piotrowski.

Shen Ye/Tian Qing beat David Lindley/Suzanne Rayappan 21-10, 19-21, 21-15 -- another 3-setter...and the young Chinese pair will meet Sudket Prapakamol/Saralee Thoungthongkam in the next round. It should be Nova/Butet vs Sudket/Saralee in the QF on Friday.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No, it was my own impression since I did not see his name in all the major Opens after his Melbourne appearance. Then I saw Andrew Smith instead and I thought Aamir was still England's no.1, yet it was Andrew who came to Asia for a number of events.

Glad that he is still active, though. ;)

12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

There are already some upsets in XD.

Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms lost to Jonas Rasmussen/Britta Andersen -- 21-11, 11-21, 13-21 -- not a good outing for the third-seeded Robertson/Emms as they lost in 3 sets to the much-improved Rasmussen/Andersen. The Danish pair will meet Lee Yong Dae/Hwang Yu Mi in the next round.

Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter-Juhl beat Anggun Nugroho/Vita Marissa 21-17, 21-14 -- the Danish pair won at ease. Their next opponent will be the Polish pair Robert MateusiakNadiezda Kostiuczyk who beat the Asuncion brothers in 2 close sets 21-19, 23-21.

Mohd Rizal/Gresya Polii beat Yoo Yeon Seong/Ha Jung Eun 21-19, 21-19 -- not bad...tight as expected and the young Indonesian pair managed to beat their Korean counterpart. I personally think that this pair will be the best back-up pair to Nova/Butet/ They will face another tough tie against the more experienced Anthony Clark/Donna Kellogg in the next round. A quarter-final placing will be a bonus!

Hwang Ji Man/Jung Youn Kyung beat Songpol Anukritayawon/Kunchala Vorawichitchaikul 22-20, 21-11 -- the new pairing beat the Thai no 2 pair in 25 mins. The seeded pair Jens Eriksen/Mette Schjoldager awaits in the next round.

Tsai Chia-Hsin/Cheng Wen-Hsing lost to Lars Paaske/Helle Nielsen 17-21, 18-21 -- the Danish pair will meet Robert Blair/Natalie Munt in the next round.

Cho Gun Woo/Ahn Jung Ha lost to Lee Jae Jin/Lee Hyo Jung 15-21, 13-21 -- no problem for the second seed and they will face the young Chinese pair He Hanbin/Pan Pan next.

#12 badMania, Aug 21, 2006
  13. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Wow...I am happy enough that KKK/WPT can push the indonesia top XD pairs to the rubber set...This is already a big improvement...Although finally they lose...but well done...It is just they are very unlucky to meet the indonesia top pairs early...

14. deROSE

deROSE Regular Member

student
    wad about the results for the ms or md matches?any idea?

15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

MD will only be played starting from tomorrow. MS matches will start after the WS matches are completed.

16. wynn000

wynn000 Regular Member

Thanks for the result!!where u get it??

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, Nova and Lilyana got pushed to 3 sets..:rolleyes: And it should get tougher for them ahead, eventhough Nathan and Gail suffered a close upset..
    As in most cases, usually the winner in *most* XD matches, has a more consistent & "stronger mentally" female partner. This is the difference between losing and winning, esp. one which involves "evenly-skilled" pairs and tightly-contested games. As long as she can fend off and keep her partner well balanced, that pair will have a greater chance of winning. Of course the male partner has to be the one setting up and controlling most of the tempo, but when attacked and under pressure, it's usually the female partner who will be targeted by the opponent..
    Thanks again for the updates, badMania!:cool:..Btw, will you be doing previews and updates for us in your upcoming trip??..:p ;)

#17 ctjcad, Aug 21, 2006
  18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I will try my best...hehe....perhaps for the HK Open since I will be in Singapore by next Monday.

I think Gresya Polii has emerged as a strong WD as well as XD player. Her partnership with Rizal should blossom into at least a top 10 pair.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, so i guess this will be your last report(preview or review) til next week??..Oh, you're going back to S'pore again??..
    Yah, i concur with you, Gresya has been coming on strong the last 1 yr or so, esp. in her WD. Been playing very consistent and improving each time.

20. rhinovinda

rhinovinda Regular Member

Scientist
    is there any llive scoring?. Please provide the link. thanks.