any review of ashaway power gut 65?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by hydrocyanic, Aug 21, 2006.

1. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    found a good deal on reel of 200m, pretty sure i will get them later, but i want to see how their PFT thingy works anyways

thank you

2. Chilefeu

Chilefeu Regular Member

Student / Trainee
  3. violin_geek

violin_geek Regular Member

What exactly is the difference between the PG65 Neon and Power? Does anyone have pics of these strings? I'm curious about the color.

#3 violin_geek, Sep 7, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  4. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

I strung PG65 neon at 27x29lb using a variation of the 1 piece string pattern to maximises the possibility of string movement between mains and crosses. The string was a pain in the neck to push through shared holes because it was too soft. There was undesirable and severe spiralling in one of the crosses caused by a very tight shared hole. The string job took longer than hope because of the shared holes. Apart from these, there were no other issues relating to the stringing.

The user of the string was somewhat dubious about the string colour. It was the first time the user had ever used PG65. Previously, he used BG65.

During use, the user initially complained of poor service performance because the tension was higher than what he used previously. But he perservered. The user was sufficiently experienced to be aware that new strings take a session or two to settle.

As the session progressed, the string was observed to perform superbyly. Drop shots were deadly and very tight to the net. Smashes were mostly one shot kills against weaker opponents. Clears were sufficiently deep, and did not go out more than usual. Even though the string was new to the user, it did not seem to hinder his usual high performance. If anything, the performance appear to be a little better, although one session alone was inadequte to prove the string enhanced his performance. The string had to be adjusted by the user after every rally. That did not appear to unsettle him. I did not ask him, but I assume he was aware that it was normal for new strings to do that. In a smash, the sound of the string was a loud bang and sharper when contrasted the the smashes of the opponents who were known to use relatively lower tension. For non-power shots, the string sound reminded me of the POCK produced by high tensioned BG80. I did not ask the user's opinion on completion of the session. He appeared satisfied and did not ask for a refund on the string job :).

It is too early to tell on the durability of the string. But I just feel nagative on how durable the string could be given the high tension. Of course, my feeling may well be proven wrong. Given how the string is named, I presume Ashaway intended the string to compete with Yonex BG65 directly. If the PG65 can match BG65 in durability, I have no hesitation in concluding that the Ashaway string being a superior string, and that technically Ashaway has achieved their goal.

I believe PG65 is suitable for advanced players. Although this belief does not exclude the possibility the string is also suitable for players of other levels.

#4 CoolDoo6, Sep 7, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  5. morewood

morewood Regular Member

I use powergut 65 in my Nano Titanium, really nice feel on impact and I can generate a lot of power. Strings are pretty durable too.

6. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Futher to my previous post, the string broke out side of the frame after about 2 weeks of use. I traced the problem to one of the grommets being cut through by the frame. The graphite's contact with the string severed the string on a big smash at the 8'oclock position. Prior to the breakage the user was very pleased with the string performance, and intended to use it in a tournament. As I could not replace the string quick enough, the user had to make do winning the tournament using BG65 on a spare racket.

The broken string has been replaced, and at a lower tension of 27/27lb using a variation of the 1 piece pattern. The durability evaluation for the string had to begin all over again.

My scores for the string so far:

performance: 9/10
    sound: 9/10
    stringer friendliness: 4/10
    abrassion resistance: 5/10
    durability: changed from feeling negative to neutral