STRING MIXING...

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Kelvin, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Hey all,
    Yes as you know... I've been away, I've been doing ok. (heh that rhymes)
    Anywho... as some of you may know I've gotten a huge crap load of bg88ti, and bg85 from Tokyo.
    No I'm not selling any of it... bwahahhahahaaha.

Anywho... my question is...
    HAVE ANY OF YOU TRIED USING DIFFERENT TYPES OF STRINGS ON YOUR MAINS, AND YOUR CROSSES???
    IF SO LET ME KNOW HOW IT PANNED OUT PLEASE???

I've been contemplating this idea for a long time now...
    Now that I've got the best type of synthetic string available I thought I would tinker around with my racquets.
    Also... the lucky stringer of my racquets will get some free complementary reels from me; cause I'm not too confident in my own ability to string my own racquets yet LOL.
    I know Cooler might want to be the first in line seeing as he's from the same home city as me... along with a few other posters on this forum...
    If not I'll get it strung out east here.... and man I must say it was pretty damn humid, and warm out here for those few days.
    Talk to you guys soon.
    -Kelvin

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hey, since you are experimenting, have you tried Gosen or Mizuno? i heard their strings are better than Yonex.

i have had terrible luck with Gosen. whenever i string it on, it'd break on the first day. however, for all the people who managed to survived through the first day (ie. everyone but me) said they played really well. and they are relatively cheaper too.

as for Mizuno, supposedly as good as bg85, but more durable. but i have never tried it myself.

oh, and welcome back. :)

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh. and to answer your question... no. i haven't tried string mixing beyond mixing different colors of bg65 (long story). but cooler is a big string experimenter, so you should definitely talk to him. btw, have you guys found out his identity yet?

4. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    gosen strings are nice. i like the new aermet one. the microlegendXL isn't bad either. i used both of them yesterday, not for tha tlong, but they were nice.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    3 weeks ago i've strung for a client a 'fake' isometric 900 ACM boron (thanks to matt's feedback on identifing fakes) with a crack (not from me) at 12 o'clock (yes, i keep getting rackets that proshops wouldn't do) using gosen micro tech 4 string (0.69mm) at 25 lbs. The string does feel different than yonex string but the filament construction looks similar to bg65. Last check my car and house windows are still ok so i assume his string and rackets are still holding :)

sorry, got to go now, it's badminton night 4 me.

6. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Yeah..SDBS accidently strung my racket with BG-70 Pro main and 65 Ti cross...biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. Don't string blend..not unless for color purposes.

7. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    wow look kelvin is back! lol.
    well an answer to ur question: ari spoke to me about mixing strings for a very short period of time.....he said string bg66 cross and bg65 main....which i thought was odd, because cross strings are usually tighter.....but he said ppl usually do it this way anyway...he asked me if i tried it and i obviously didnt......
    so the only thing i can tell u is that the "norm" (if there is one lol) for mixing strings is that u get the more durable string on the mains.....most likely cos its the mains that usually break and not the cross

8. May

May Guest

I haven't, but a senior of mine did. She said there wasn't a difference, I'm not too sure as to whether you should trust what she said to me because she changes the type of string each time she strings and the only difference is durability, according to her anyway. I suppose she means she hasn't found her dream string yet:D

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I haven't tried.

I don;t know of any pros who do this.

10. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Man, u guys get great ideas.

But dont u think it could be a costly proposition.Nearly twice the cost!

Immaterial of this iam gooing to try this out.Gosen armet and Babolat Natural Gut on AB 2000.

I'll let u know the result.

11. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Ashaway had this string some 8 or 9 years ago that had 2 different blends for mains and crosses supposedly better for ....... .Blah Blahh .... but it bombed!

So what do you guys say of this example then ??

12. Howard

Howard Regular Member

Student
    Hey kelvin, Do you think john would be able to mix strings???

13. May

May Guest

You know, I think you've gotten it all wrong. They were talking abt different strings for the crosses and the mains.

14. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    I know what I'm talking about May.

Ashaway used to pack a 'string' that was essentially 2 different strings as a package for the mains and the crosses. I was supposed to be a breakthrough in terms of power and control/ touch ....

But sad to say it bombed and people have been saying sucky things about Ashaway strings ever since ....

I thik it was called the 'Cross-fire' or something. Anyone remeber them ??

15. May

May Guest

oic. I thought u meant that the 2 strings as 1.

16. Brett

Brett Regular Member

It's not uncommon in tennis. Hard hitters who want control sometimes will use one set of Kevlar strings and one set of a weaker but better control type of string.

17. Quan

Quan Regular Member

BP(Badminton Player)
    I think Gosen has a string that has different string composition for the crosses and mains.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    But not in the same racquet, right? They will change racquets between a service game and receive game.

19. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Yes, in the same racquet. From what I read in Tennis magazine, only the really hard hitters will mix the strings in order to obtain some control without having to switch to a new racquet every few rallies. If I remember correctly, Agassi might have been one of the players trying out the mixed strings.

20. Quan

Quan Regular Member

BP(Badminton Player)
    Yeah, the mixed string from Gosen is for tennis. I think it is called polyblend or something.