winex

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by shaun, Jun 22, 2001.

1. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    Had anyone had long term experience with winnex?
    if so, did you find it good....and how do they compare with other brands such as yang yang, karakal, yonex etc.
    any info is appreciated!
    cos my ti7 just broke, and if it is possible to have it exchanged, i was curious on how one of these winex racquets played
    thnx.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    your Ti-7 broke already? i thought you just bought it?

how did it break?

3. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    ya i just got it....
    well before i tell u how i broke it, let me tell u the string tension(if it has anything to do with it).
    its bg85 25cross 23main.
    ok so i was rallying.....with a friend...just doing underhand clears from the baseline...
    eventually, the bg85 strings snapped on me(2 strings on the main).
    i didnt miss hit.....i hit the sweet spot and the strings snapped....so i learned one thing: DONT USE BG85 FOR NYLON EVER AGAIN...anyway, after further inspection, i found that my frame cracked at the 12 o clock position....on the underside of the frame(where the bottom of the grommets are).
    so i figure, the racquet had to have something wrong with it prior to me using it, otherwise it shouldnt have broken like this....
    btw, i bought a ti7 DEMO from yos....so ya, other ppl have used it before i have

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    is it the 3U or 2U version? the 3U one is really flimsy, and IMHO, 23/25 is a bit high for that.

and the 12 o'clock position is the weakest part of a racket, it is really just wedged and glued together, most of the structural strength is being held by the middle 2 or 4 main strings. if any of those breaks, the total tension of the cross strings will squish the racket frame and it will easily snap right there. i have seen it before. it is not unheard of that the string breaks and the racket snaps with it right there.

so i believe that's just bad luck this time..... please. :)

5. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    lol ok so its just bad luck for me....
    i believe it......i broke 2 main strings.....and those 2 strings are pretty much in the middle of the racquet. and ya, i got the 3u version...so...how do winnex play? lol

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Winex.. well. winex is like the men's singles players nowadays. once in a while, a good one will appear, then the rest of the time, they are all just mediocore.

while Yonex is like Peter Gade, all the time dependable and above average, but only sometimes outstanding.

7. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I used 1 Winex Aerodynamic 200 for quite a while. Its not bad but too light. For today, i start to depend more and more on smashing and occasional trick shots. I actually tried quite a few today when i was playing with Gladius and Modious and some others. What Kwun said is true, very few of their rackets are good. And i've come across none, so far that have beaten my Slim-10 and Ti-7.

8. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    hmm i'll pass on the winex idea then.....
    thanx for the replies guys

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. actually, if you dig through the reviews, you will find that i liked the Kevlar999. that was the days when i used to believe in ultra-light rackets, and it was a good and light racket.

but nowadays, i am back to heavier ones.

10. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    i'm scared of light racquets after this ti7 incident....3u is bad, anything under 2u is scary lol

11. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    HO YEH!

My ti7 is covered under warrenty wohooo

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    kwun, you would make a great teacher/coach if u want to be.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Re: HO YEH!

i'm happy 4 u shaun. Dont know why so many bad incidents happened to u lately. Were u a naugthy boy in previous life?

IMO, i still think it is related to stringer's skill. The ti-7 shouldn't crack like that if the bg85 broke. One cant blame it on bg85. bg85 dont last as long as thicker string but breaking it after a few rally is likely caused by string got damaged during stringing. Even fishing line would last longer than a few rally. I have a client who i do his TiSP SS with bg85 for about a year now. He and i play plastic mavis 300 and his bg85 lasted about 2.25 months per string. He plays twice a week and 3.5 hrs each time. He is an adult player and i say his smashes are average.

also your ti-7 shouldnt snap like that if the string broke. Remember, not all stringer string them at specified weight, they just tell you but u cant tell what they REALLY did on the operating table, i mean on the stringing machine.

Look at peter gade's slim 10 at 31 lbs and CM's ti-10 at 28lbs. Are we gonna say that they snap his racket everytime their string broke? I'm sure men doubles pros's racket are all strung at over 27- 33lbs. I have strung lots of 3U's b4 but have not seen those racket broke, yet. (except in hard racket clashes).

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

kwun

kwun, are u saying that badminton rackets are put together in 2 pieces? That's new to me but i do admit i dont know everything :)

15. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!

well one thing i know for sure cooler, is that yo sports uses an electronic digital stringing machine....so my requested tension is exact....because it is the machine that pulls the strings...
    it could be the fact that i had bought a demo, and that the demo had problems with it previously...OR like kwun has mentioned, the main strings broke, so the crosses pulled the frame together and the 12 o clock position just cracked in the process

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

does yo sports strings tennis, squash and racketball rackets too?

17. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!

yes they do

18. harry

harry Guest

i'm pretty sure it wasn't yo's fault in this case cos he uses a constant pull machine($6000-$10000) with 6 thing to hold the racket down....all this doesn't matter cos it was the player's fault, which is me! the racket was strung with bg85 at 25lb which is considered pretty high especially for less than intermediate players like me and shaun. since i'm not that experienced of a player i'm mishit quite often from the sweetspot and when the ti7 also cracked after i switched from a mp77....considering that i'm not so experienced, the bg85 was at 25lb, since bg85 is a thin string the tension gets leveled even higher, and i just switched from a mp77 to ti7(diff frame, length....etc.), and i mishited near the top(12 o'clock)....i think the strings was bound to break.
    and like kwun and yoko said, when the string break at that part, all the tension from the cross strings no longer has the main strings to balance them therefore puts all teh tension and pull on the tip and bottom of racket....and obviously the top will break first knowing the top is thiner and i hitted near the top.
    i still feel pretty bad breaking shaun's racket and the string but he's getting another one from warranty so doesn't matter anymore...^_^

19. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student

Does Yo's have a website?

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: kwun

carbon fiber is essentially pieces of paper rolled and glued together to form the frame. so to form the loop shaped racket head, there must be a joining part some where.... or am i complete out of my mind here?