Roslin Changed Style to Defeat LCW - ATTACK!!!

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by Loh, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The writeup by IBF reporter, Raphael Sachetat, which appeared in IBF's website today should be of interest to cooler and chris@ccc regarding the preferred style to use under the NSS.

How Roslin defeated Lee Chong Wei by changing his normal Defensive style of play to that of Attack.

Quote:

"I had never beaten him before, but even if we don’t train every day together (Roslin trains with Misbun Sidek and Lee under Li Mao), we still know each other’s game pretty well.

I think today I was able to change my style of play and I was confident I could do something as he probably didn’t expect that. So in the first and third game, I tried to put some pressure on him and kept up the pace, unlike my usual defence type of play. This time, I tried to ATTACK and put some speed into the shuttles,” said the 31-year-old Malaysian.

It worked wonders as every time he (Roslin) would play at a faster pace, his defence was also sharper and put Lee under pressure, missing out some attacks he (Lee) wouldn’t usually miss. Hashim’s defence was as good as ever and it took 50 minutes for the veteran beat a player almost 10 years younger than him, with a 16/21 – 21/14 – 21/18 score, concluded on a serve too long from Chong Wei. :D

Unquote

2. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    hmmm roslin has revealed LCW's weakness :)

3. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I am glad he came up with the winning strategy -- it is a hallmark of an intelligent person to be able to that. I wish Kuan Beng Hong can be like this, then perhaps Malaysia will look good -- KBH clearly lacks an analytical mind like Roslin's.

I urge all the young guys to learn from the veteran....good one Roslin.

4. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

What ? KBH again ?:D Can KBH get through Sony Dwi Kuncoro in Hong Kong Open round 1. For the past 3 months, KBH lost to Nguyen Tien Minh from Vietnam ( Philippines Open), lost to Singapore's Ronald Susilo Round 1 ( Singapore Open), lost to German's Roman Spitko round 2 ( Malaysia Open), lost to New Zealand's John Moody Round 1 ( Thai Open) and now England's Andrew Smith Round 1 ( Korea Open). What can we expect from Kuan Beng Hong to beat Indonesia second singles and 3 times Asian Champion ?:D

5. taufik-ist

it administrator
    hmmm.... KBH shouldn't be sent to any stars tournament, he should compete in a satellite tournament :rolleyes:

6. TKG2609

TKG2609 Regular Member

he just have bad day ... upsss ...bad year only ... hehehe

7. taufik-ist

it administrator
    no punish and reward in BAM ?

8. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    I think BAM is simply to kind...

9. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer

KBH will not travel to HK open

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    your reflection of roslin's comment is too simplistic and you didn't read up ALL the comments i've made regarding the NSS tactics.

11. court_king

court_king Regular Member

No sending Hafiz either!!! The way he lost to Chen Jin in Thailand Open is already embarassing enough. He gave up so early that the fat lady hasn't even clear her throat yet, not to mention begin to sign.:mad: I wasted my time watching that pathnetic performance of his... although I like watching Chen Jin's tactics and improvement over the years.

12. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

U misintepreted my posting --- I said I wish KBH can be like Roslin then Malaysia would be having a good future.

KBH does not have a quick brain. He is a liability -- against not so good strategists, he performs well but against the better players, he fumbles because he cannot think fast enough.

13. fifteen luv

fifteen luv Regular Member

Never mind as long as a Malaysian player continue all the way to the final and win the KO for Malaysia 49th birthday. Merdeka! Merdeka! Merdeka!:D :D :D

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The last time he competed in the Singapore Satellite, about 2 years ago, he lost to Kendrick Lee in the Final. :eek:

15. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I think KBH needs to look at videos to study his opponents more; he is not learning fast enough. Probably too lazy to do any homework. To play good badminton these days is not just smashing and net plays training. You need to strategise and learn how to change your own game to suit against players.

Video training is fast becoming a learning concept --- look and learn from videos. Get the mind to visualise and familiarise with movements such that it gets ingrained into your own mind and movements become instinctive. I noticed the top players like LD are almost 'precise' in returning a shot from the opposition --- they know where to return it to.

Players like KBH impresses coaches with their badminton skills but they lack skills in reading their oppositions as well as changing to the right techniques to match their opponents. Their instincts are not good enough because they do not know enough to cater to the different types of plays.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Agree absolutely, X Ball. Even at a lower level, coaches are using the videocam to capture thier trainees' footwork, movements, strokes, court coverage, etc, for training purposes and to discuss their shortcomings during breaks and how these could be corrected.

I'll be very surprised if KBH or his coaches do not have access to this training tool and also recordings of their opponents.

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

They may have but I am sure they don't watch and study diligently. I can almost tell watching KBH : when they lose a few points, they start playing lousy.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Roslin tells it very simply and I like and understand it. ;)

No, I didn't have a chance to read your 'thesis' on the NSS tactics. When we discussed this topic started by chris@ccc, my understanding was whether an attacking style of play or a more defensive and rallying style is better suited for the NSS to win a match. And my preference has been the attacking style, all else being more or less the same, eg, skill, stamina, fitness, etc.

I'm glad Roslin came forth openingly to let us know how he defeated LCW, who is himself an attacking player, probably fitter than Roslin. Another positive trait that is now revealed of Roslin is his confidence and ambition to become the World no.1 again, which he briefly held some years ago. He is confident because he cited another veteran example - that of Poul-Erik Hoyer-Larsen of Denmark who became the 1998 Olympic Champion in his early 30s, I believe, when he defeated Dong Jiong of China, 15-12, 15-10, whilst Rashid Sidek of Malaysia received the bronze. :)

#18 Loh, Aug 25, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  19. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    it was 1996 atlanta olympics not 98

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The Olympics MS Gold Medalists

Thanks, you're right - typo error. :eek:

As many would know,the Olympics is held very 4 years, and so far there were 4 competitions. The first was in 1992 when Allan Budi Kusuma of Indonesia beat countryman Ardy Wiranata 15-12, 18-13 (note the score in the second game "18". I think it must have been deuced at 13-13, set to 5 points. During that time one can set deuce at 13-13 or 14-14, set to 3 points). Both Thomas Stuer-Lauridsen, Denmark, and Hermawan Susanto, Indonesia, shared the bronze for the last time as there was only one winner for the bronze medal subsequently.

A happy coincidence during 1992 was when Allan Kusuma's future wife, Susi Susanti, perhaps the greatest woman player ever from Indonesia, beat Korea's Bang Soo-Hyun, 5-11, 11-5, 11-3 to clinch the women's Olympic crown. Pretty Huang Hua and Tang Jiuhong, both from China, shared the bronze.

The last Olympics was in 2004 when another very popular Indonesian, Taufik Hidayat beat Seung Mo Shon of Korea 15-8, 15-7. Yet another Indonesian, Soni Dwi Kuncoro, took the bronze.

As stated previously, the second Olympics for badminton in 1996 saw the veteran Dane, Poul-Erik Hoyer-Larsen, defeating the younger Dong Jiong of China. with Rashid Sidek capturing the first Olympic badminton bronze medal for Malaysia.

Except for 1996, Indonesian players were featured in the MS final. In 2000, Indonesian Hendrawan lost to China's Ji Xinpeng , 4-15, 13-15, with another Chinese, Xia Xuanze, getting the bronze.

So far 2 Indonesians won the Olympic gold, the other two gold medals were won by a Dane and a Chinese. The silver medals were shared by 2 Indonesians, 1 Chinese and 1 Korean, whilst the bronze medals went to 2 Indonesians, and 1 Dane, 1 Malaysian and 1 Chinese.

Final tally: Indonesia 6, China 3, Denmark 2, South Korea 1 and Malaysia 1.