string and tension combo

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by asiaexpat, Aug 24, 2006.

1. asiaexpat

asiaexpat Regular Member

hello

i have a Yonex Muscle Power 30 Racket and want to find the right string and tension combo to fit my game.

Wish i could tell you what string I use now but cannot--I think I have 21 tension though--the stringers tell me limitations inn tensions with my racket--I dont know

Anyway--i need more distance on my clearances and it seems as my sweet spot is quite small--a lot of of center hits resulting in lack of distance.

my buddy has an old cheapo racket that gives me much distance when I need but noone here can really tell me what string/tension combe I need for my racket.

can anyone suggest a good combo? I dont worry too much about losing smash power.

2. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

there is no "proper tension/string" because everyone is different. some might use 21 and some might use 28 etc.

3. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

As jump17 mentioned, the perfect tension is a personal thing and the only way to find it is by trial & error.

Do you still have the factory string on the MP30 or did you just recently had it re-strung?

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It sounds like you would benefit from lower tension.

Compare the sounds of your racket strings with the strings of your buddy, by tapping the strings with a racket. The one with a lower pitch probably has lower tension.

If his is lower, then you might like to restring your racket at a low tension. Try 18 lbs (given that you have guessed your racket is 21 lbs).

5. asiaexpat

asiaexpat Regular Member

I think the shop told me strung it at 21--we have a language barrier.

I might go to 19 first-but also would like to get the string that gives the best power or repulsion that I need--which is it power or repulsion? for the long clears??

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

"Repulsion" is a characteristic of strings; "power" is a characteristic of clears/smashes.

String choice is very much a personal preference. The specs are pretty meaningless, and are mainly used as a marketing tool.

String choice doesn't actually matter that much. Tension is more important.

I'm afraid it's all down to experience! Try a few strings and see what you think.

7. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

0.68mm diameter strings (eg. BG-80, BG-85) usually have more repulsion than thicker 0.70mm (eg. BG-65) strings. 0.66mm strings (eg. BG-66) have even more repulsion but at the expense of durability.

BG-80 is always a good choice of string, so try that.