Suffering with Tennis elbow

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by sengkiang, Aug 28, 2006.

1. sengkiang

sengkiang Regular Member

Guys, those who are currently suffering from Tennis elbow or those who previously suffer from Tennis elbow; what do you guys do for sport?

The pain still there although 4 months....(I guess mine will take 6 months to heal).

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    get yourself a stress ball, or find something to squeeze. Tennis elbow comes from overworking of certain muscles on your arm. Stress ball or powerballs will balance out the stress and bring relief to your arm.

cn1766 likes this.
  3. LoveJoy

LoveJoy Regular Member

Ice, massage, rest and moderation...playing only twice per week and still it took 7 months.

4. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
    try to use lower tension for training and for matches,
    and also use thin string o,67 or 0,68 bg 85 80!
    this can help!of course massage!
    MING

5. BaddGolfer

BaddGolfer Regular Member

Do you have tennis elbow or golfer's elbow? You are more likely to get golfer's elbow by playing badminton. You can find info about them here...

http://www.golfers-elbow.com/golferselbow.htm

In addition to what LoveJoy said, I would add strengthening. See a trainer in the gym and strengthen your shoulder, arm/forearm. It also may help...

I would also like to add the standard BC recommendation...

"Go see a Doctor"

#5 BaddGolfer, Aug 28, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  6. jckuo

jckuo Regular Member

Businessman
    I had a tennis elbow about 14 years ago. I tried many methods to get rid of it without success for two years. Finally, my doctor told me to wear a tennis elbow protector. It only took about 2 months, the pain completely disappered. I remember the brand is "ACE" made in USA. It is a nylon plate with elastic to be worn about one inch below the painful elbow tightly. (Hard nylon plate is more effective than soft neoprene or other soft materials). While you need to lift or carry something, always wear it. Always wear it during the day until your elbow pain completely disappears. It can prevent the injured place from being torn again while it is still recovering. You still can play badminton if you are wearing it.
    Few years ago, I sometimes still wore it if I felt there was abnormal feeling on my elbow. But now I do not need to wear it even I play 5 times a week. Good luck.

7. Green72(CAN)

Green72(CAN) Regular Member

Sorry for sounding clueless here, but what exactly are golfer's elbow and tennis elbow?

8. sengkiang

sengkiang Regular Member

I am sure I am having Tennis elbow (I am still having my regular checkout with my Orthopadist). At the first time I got Cortisone - doesnt help. 2nd time Physiotherapy, it helps but take longer time to heal. I do stop badminton completely at this momment because the movement hurts(a lot). I do wear the Arm band (tennis elbow protector) for jobs(typing) etc - yes it helps by reducing vibration to the tendon hence reducing pain.

Stretch and ice help me alot. cappy75, I cant even squeeze because it hurts.

Green72, search tennis elbow in wikipedia, you will find a lot info about tennis elbow (it does not only occur to tennis player).

I still cant play Badminton....event with the protector..... :(

9. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

medial epicondylitis(golfer's elbow) and lateral epicondylitis(tennis elbow) are injuries to the muscle, ligament and connective tissues of the muscles in the elbow. medial epicondylitis is common to golfers, thus called golfer's elbow. while lateral epicondylitis is common to tennis players, thus called tennis elbow. but both conditions are not specific to golf and tennis only. one may develop tennis elbow thru playing other sports, especially racket sports, including badminton. these are what we call overuse injuries. too much stress on the elbow muscles caused by repetitive motion and poor technique are some factors that lead to pain in the elbow not to mention weak elbow and arm muscles.

one has to rest the elbow first and put ice. maybe use an elbow sleeve or tennis elbow support when playing. furthermore, a lower string tension would also help since it doesn't vibrate so much compared to higher tension.

10. sengkiang

sengkiang Regular Member

1. phaase 1, rest, ice, take anti-inflamation medicament (see doctor)

2. phase 2, strech

3. phase 3, strenghehing your elbow. (can only be done after the pain completely gone)

take up to 8 weeks depending on the problem it self (see doctor)
    i am on phase 2 (after 3 months ). I type alot, that is why it does not heal that quick. Tendonitis heal slow because , no blood flows in that area .

11. AMadan

AMadan New Member

How I managed the Tennis elbow problem

I had the Tennis elbow problem. Since I was new to racquet sports, I was clueless initially why my elbow pained after I played a few smashes. I read up on the internet and realized that applying Ice on the affected area would bring relief. It did work; because Tennis elbow is a condition of inflammation of the tendons and ice helps to cool down. And the other thing is giving it sufficient rest.

My problem was that the problem would come back once I returned to playing after a small break. I consulted an orthopaedic doctor and he suggested using an elbow wrap. The elbow wrap provides compression on the area and prevents inflammation. It has worked like a charm for me and I play for longer since I started using this wrap. I use the LP wrap. See here if you are interested - http://www.lp-supports.com/products/tennis_elbow_and_elbow_supports/ (No, I am not marketing for LP ;) ). The doc also indicated to me that there is no easy cure as such for Tennis elbow, you need to learn to manage it.

The doc also suggested using a cream before a few minutes of play which has helped as well. I have listed them in another blog post. Visit - http://golumolu.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9

12. rakisan

rakisan New Member

Hello, I had a tennisarm some maybe 2 years ago and it hurt so much, that sometimes I couldn´t shake hands anymore. I searched the internet and found this stretching excercise. Doing this consequent, I had no problems anymore after a quite short time. Heres the link: http://www.airbed.ch/tennisarm/behan1.htm#e Regards, Michael

13. ralph_lee

ralph_lee Regular Member

This is what I learnt from a Chinese physician.
    1) Bend your elbow
    2) Fist facing yourself (means finger nails facing you)
    3) Use another hand to hold your elbow, and press the tennis elbow with your fingers hard. Yes, it will be pain.
    4) Twist your fist towards front slowly
    5) straighten your elbow/hand.

Keep doing it, it will improve the condition
    Give it a try.

14. OliverHH

OliverHH Regular Member

Student
    My doc suggested I use Voltaren 3 times a day, for 14 days and streching the muscles regularly. When playing I used Ibuprofen pills and Voltaren. Did not help enough.
    So, ultimately, I switched from using a head heavy racket (AT900T) to using a lighter-headed racket (ARC8DX), and it has helped me a lot!
    This is still an on-going progress, and I still use Voltaren from time to time to get fully rid of the inflamation.

15. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

Cool - a 4 years old topic! ;)

Out of my own experience, I disagree with both ice and -especially- all kinds of pain killers like Ibuprofen or Voltaren.

Instead: stretching.

See http://www.airbed.ch/tennisarm/frm.htm?/tennisarm/behan1.htm (if you scroll very far down, the english version will appear). It worked for me, after a long time of trying a lot of other things (ice, ibuprofen etc.).

Plus, a lighter racket may help if you got a good steel modell right now. ;)

16. alexh

alexh Regular Member

My physiotherapist told me that tennis elbow varies a lot from one person to another. Different people respond to different treatments. So just because it didn't help you, it doesn't mean it's bad for other people.

Voltaren can have side effects for some people, so you need to be a bit careful (talk to your doctor or pharmacist!) But sometimes it can help a lot, at least for short term relief.

Ice can't do any harm, you may as well try it. Stretching is good too.

17. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

i will tell u the answer soon

18. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

19. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#19 blindaim, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  20. blindaim