Would like some help with stringing machines/etc.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by JoeyC., Aug 28, 2006.

1. JoeyC.

JoeyC. Regular Member

Hi, I was wondering if someone could suggest a good stringing machine, I will be stringing for myself and club members, my price range is roughly $1,000, I was thinking about an electronic Eagnas machine (http://eagnas.com/electron.html). I would also like to know what other tools I would need to string badminton racquets, and where I could purchase yonex strings in bulk for cheap. If anyone has had any experiences with these machines and could review them it would be greatly appriecated:) !
    Thanks!

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Service from Eagnas is somewhat to be desired unless you live in L.A. You might want to consider Gamma at www.gammasports.com

3. JoeyC.

JoeyC. Regular Member

Thanks for the advice, would you happen to have any idea which model I should get from Gamma for about $1,000, and accessories? Thanks again :) .

4. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

6004 w/ the 6-point mounting system. Or, the 5003 w/ the 6-point.

You may want to also look at Alpha and Silent Partner machines. Contact Mark Gonzales (mark@alphatennis.com) for info on Alpha models. Their website is long out of date.

HTH.

#4 Quasimodo, Aug 29, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  5. JoeyC.

JoeyC. Regular Member

Thank you for the reply, I'm thinking about the 5003, but I have some questions, like whats the difference between 2-PT and 6-PT machines and table top and upright machines?
    Thanks again!

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    joey, i would highly recommend that u read up some threads found on the stringing technique forum first before asking numerous basic simple questions that we don't like to repeat them again over here. Stringing is not for everybody. I know many have jumped into it and quit later, after spending $$$ investment. Be prepare to spend an hour per racket, and that's after u know how to string. If you think stringing is just weaving, u got it wrong. Be ready to string 10+ rackets before u begin to know about stringing. Your first 3 rackets may require you 2 to 3 hrs each to do. I see u r 15. U will be missing alot of teenager activities and school studies if u plan to start stringing for your club.

#6 cooler, Aug 29, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  7. JoeyC.

JoeyC. Regular Member

Thanks for the heads up, but I am prepared to spend numerous hours stringings racquets, since the only other stringer seems to be not that experience and has deformed my racquets, I would rather learn and string it myself. And as for the basic simple questions I have tried using the search button to find what 2-PT, 6-PT, difference between table top and upright, but I haven't been able to find any answers. I'm also sorry if its a nuissance to you hearing the same questions over and over but I just can't find out the answers:confused:.

8. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

You may also want to browse the USRSA website as well as other stringing forums such as stringforum.net, Tennis Warehouse, Grand Slam Stringer, etc. When I did my research before I got into stringing, I found the USRSA website particularly helpful in answering most of my basic questions. IMHO, you should also consider becoming a member, if only for a year. Because when you join they send you a stringing guide packet that contain a lot of good info. Granted that most, if not all, of the stringing info are dedicated to tennis racquets; but, the same principles apply to badminton racquets.

FWIW, HTH.

P.S.: As far as 2-point or 6-point support, the latter's better in minimising outward racquet distortion that happens during stringing. This is especially obvious when you're using high tension (i.e., >25 lbs.). So, if you've got a choice between them, all else equal, choose the 6-point support.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Unless you really plan to open a business and average 10+ rackets a day, I don't see the point of spend $1000+ on a fancy machine. Some well made table-top machines (crank or drop weight) are well under $400 range. A good 6 point, crank machine should guide you through at least 3-4 rackets per day (after enough practice to get experience, of course) without any problem. If you plan to work on no more than 3 rackets per day, and mainly low tension (below 25), a 2 point drop weight machine can do the wonder. This types of machines are even cheaper, might be under $200 range.

Personally, I average about 5-7 rackets per week (string for local players), and most are below 25lbs range. I use a Klipper M140 (2 point, drop weight) mahcine for years, and never had a problem (besides once, I had to do 7 rackets in 1 day :cool: ).

10. JoeyC.

JoeyC. Regular Member

Thanks all for the great information, I really appriecate it. As you suggested I probably will go for a tabletop machine :) .