6 Month Badminton Training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Crazypeetee246, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Crazypeetee246

Crazypeetee246 Regular Member

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum but I have been reading the posts around for a couple weeks now. I just wanted to ask what you guys do to get in shape for badminton season.

Here is some background of myself: I'm still in high school, and our badminton program is kind of overshadowed by the basketball/football/volleyball/etc. etc. etc. We only play for about 4 months, 2 of which involves training. I'm relatively new to badminton, I started about 6 - 7 months ago. I am 5' 8" 130 pounds. I used to be a tennis player.

As I mentioned above, I would like to know what everyone does to train. Maybe I can take some advice :D . There was this kid in one of our rival schools who was the Ukrainian youth National Champion, I saw the way he used his wrist and could clear amazingly far with seemingly no effort. I saw a video by some Chinese guy teaching badminton and his wrist strength amazed me. Any advice on how to strengthen wrists?

Plus, is 90g of protein per day enough?

2. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Wow! You sound lanky.... or you make me feel fat.

Don't the give proper coaching in your two months?

3. Crazypeetee246

Not really, our badminton coach isn't much of a trainer. Shes more like ......yell at you from the sideline person. Shes probably like....5' 3" and over 200 pounds. This is why i've been taking lessons from videos, and hopefully from some of you guys.

4. Monster

Monster Regular Member

You're already familiar with the basic footwork, grip and stroke? I spent a huge amount of time on these even till now !!

5. Crazypeetee246

Yes, those basics I know. However, switching from tennis to badminton was quite hard. Tennis was forearm and shoulder using a huge sweeping motion. Badminton obviously isn't that. My wrists still aren't strong enough and I can't find something that works well to strengthen them.

6. Monster

Monster Regular Member

have you tried wrist curls in the gym ? i have quite strong wrist which was why my early smashes were purely from the wrist and was very steep but lacking power compared to ppl who smashes from forearm pronation

7. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    sounds like the badminton program in my school, lol thats why i ended up here, learinging alot, i registered like less then 2 weeks ago:) lol were in the same position, kool, well here is what i am doing, since i have tennis practice in the mournings, i only get home till 12, i have lunch, then i play shadow badminton with my racket, using proper grip and swing for various shots, including new tricky shots i learnt(hehe) for about a hour, then i get properly hydrated again and take a 1/2 to a hour break, then i go for a hour jog around the neighboorhood(probably around 10km, yes it seens far its not that bad with a ipod, i have super stamina, and so should you, ur play tennis) and then i take another 1/2 hour break site on my ass go to BC lol , then i do some weight training, basicaly all the arm muscles for badminton : forearm, backarm(backhand part of your arm w.e its called), shoulders, triceps, biceps(not necessary but mind as well:) ) , sit-ups, crunchs, push-ups, and those finger sweezing things for the wrist. and thats what i've been doing all summer almost hehe im so ready, and those are the days im not on the courts, training on the court it a whole diffrent thing, my post is getting to long if you want to i can post some drills i toke the time to memoriz

8. Monster

Monster Regular Member

martin, seems like u spend an awful lot of time on stamina training..extreme man !

i have less patience and go straight to the court while having fun learning and playing the same time.

9. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    "Effortless" wrist shots will come with practice-- mostly, it's in the timing of the technique. Can you hit your racket's sweetspot for instance?

Strength training, in some sense, won't be very useful until you can get the timing down. In fact, I find that many players are hindered by strength training-- not because muscles make them slow or something, but it's crutch. People tend to muscle through shots that could do way more efficiently with proper technique.

I suggest you look at the basics in the other threads-- the grip guide, the threads about timing and hitting proper forehand clears. Keep in mind that in game, the quality of your shots will be affected by other factors too, such as footwork.

10. Crazypeetee246

I know the basics. I'm just not as fluid as I can be because most of the movements are new to me. I'm not used to using the wrist, im more used to using the arm and shoulder as in tennis. Also, I'm not used to the extensive lunging in badminton. I'm working on the footwork, personally, I think its getting better. Its just the wrist that I can't find a way to improve. Practicing more hasn't seemed to make it stronger, only more efficient. I want to be able to hit backhand drives and smashes from almost everywhere on the court. As of now, I can only do it when it is like.. 2 feet away from my shoulder.

11. Monster

Monster Regular Member

How long have you played ? It seems like you want to master all these which after a year plus, I still haven't fully mastered.

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

First, the wrist is not a significant contributor towards power in badminton.

You often hear players (and even coaches) say, "Badminton is all in the wrist". This is a myth.

Your wrist alone will never provide you with much power; it's really the forearm that provides most of the power. Training the wrist is unlikely to improve your power unless the training method also trains the forearm.

The fingers and upper arm muscles can also provide a moderate amount of power, for certain types of shots ("finger power" strokes, like net kills). Again, it looks like the wrist is providing the power, but it's not.

Second, you cannot expect to hit backhand drives and smashes from any position. There are optimal positions for various strokes. All strokes are more effective when played away from your body; if your racket gets close to your body, then your power will be reduced.

13. atimtam

atimtam Regular Member

student
    sounds a lot like my former description =P
    true. myth it is. you can't depend on your wrist, and a lot of power can be gained from the forearm. just gotta learn to use it properly.
    don't rush yourself. get the basics first. treat tennis and baddie as two COMPLETELY different sports. don't compare them so much, learn it as a new skill. you sound like you want to be really good in such a short amount of time. take it slow, like others have said before. maybe it would be a good idea to get a 'proper' coach to help you out. just don't set your expectations too high too soon...

14. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    use a squash racket for the wrist and tennis racket for arm

You can get an old squash racket (preferably with the cover on) and, after warming by properly stretching your wrist, start out with 15 forehand wrist snaps (slowly at first) emulating a smash then 15 backhand. When you get stronger, you can go up to 30 or 40. Make sure you warm up properly to avoid injury.

With your tennis racket (again with cover), do the full arm (with wrist) motion. Start again with just 15 forehand and 15 backhand, and work up to 25, 30 or 40.

Also do walling with the shuttle. At first, when you're not used to it, you'll be pretty near the wall. As you get stronger, move a bit further away, so you have to hit stronger to have the shuttle return to you.

Another technique is to get an old bicycle pump and hold it with one hand against the wall and pump it with your racket hand. Do the various badminton motions, starting with a few reps until you can go up to 3 sets of 20.

vip

15. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    How to train? Play badminton GAMES everyday. Games work better than rallies because the mindset makes you want to win more and that means your going to be practicing in a much more realistic situation.

As for training the wrist, just stretch it before games and when doing smashes and clears in practice, think about bending your wrist all the way back then snapping it forward when you conect witht he shuttle. I agree w/ the other posters though, strength doesnt come from the wrist, only angle does. Though when it comes to mid court smashes, angle is more important than speed :).

General training; focus on footwork first, then strokes, then fitness (IMO).

16. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    hahaha i wish i had a job, to much spare time, unfortunatly im stuck on my computer for a couple days, i hurt my ankle yesterday on the courts, i dont think its sprained but it happening more often, im going to go buy some more shuttles and a ankle support 2morow, hope it helps

P.S. i forgot to strech this time, so their prof that streching reduces chance of injury!
    and do alot forehand curls

#16 martin8768, Aug 31, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  17. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

With your (lack of) playing experience, what would work best would be a training program that heavily emphasizes technical training by using a high training volume. Most likely, you'll be lacking refinement in many strokes and footwork patterns, so it's a matter of putting in the time to get them fluid and consistent. This means a lot of:

- continuous single bird corner to corner running drills
    - drives and variations of drive drills
    - multi-bird drills to practise hitting side-to-side smashes, intercepts, smash & high-takes

Have fun!

18. jko9830

jko9830 Regular Member

Student
    well for me, i stared only like 1 yr ago and i remember that the first thing that my coach taught me was foot work. coz there's no way of hitting the birdie if you dont now how to get there.
    to strengthen ur wrists, bring out ur old tennis raquets and start moving ur wrists like wut you would do w/ ur raquet. ect move it back/forth/in a circle but remember, NEVER bend ur wrist so much that it starts to hurt. coz if you dont, you'll injure ur arm.