String Tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by TG, Jun 24, 2001.

1. TG

TG Guest

Do higher string tensions produce more power or more control. I read somewhere that the higher the tension, the more control, and the lower, the more power. which is true?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it depends how hard you hit.

if you hit hard, tighter string will bring out your power. and looser string will make you lose power.

if you can't hit hard, tighter string will feel like a wood board, while softer string will help the shuttle propel.

remember, it all comes from your muscles, the strings has no power.

3. Jeff L

Jeff L Guest

yea i read that in a paper at my local badminton store as well, i just like to keep my strings around 20, nothing too high, or too low

4. sze

sze Guest

It is true that a higher tension string will produce more power. However, it should be clear that the power of the rebound not only depends on the string tension. It also depends on the muscle of the player. For example, a little child should better use a lower tension racket instead of a higher tension one because he has not strong enough to use a high tension one. As a side issue, I want to supplement that the power of the rebound does not only depend on how hard you hit or the string tensions. In fact, it also depends on the materials of the string. For example, some strings are more soft and smooth in nature (68ti string) while some are more hard (75 ti string). In general, softer string will produce more control and harder string will produce more power.

5. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    it all comes down to your technique and shot power.
    if you hit hard, then you will need a higher tension to compliment your power.
    this is because a tighter string will not absorb your power like a softer tension would.
    but if you dont hit hard, a tight tension only hinders your power production.....the tight setting will not have enough rebound.
    so if you dont hit hard, u will need a looser setting.
    I personally use 23x25...tho i dont think thats such a good idea anymore, since my racquet cracked after i broke 2 main strings.

6. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I find that 20 is too low for me. Or maybe its just that i'm trying this tension on new strings that loses tension fast. I dunno...

Well anyway, i find that tensions like 25lbs are not so suitable for me because I have to consistently hit it in the centre of the racket or the shot may not turn out how you want it. So i prefer to keep my tensions at about 22lbs

7. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I think u should not keep anything more than 22Lbs.Yonex does not even recommend such kinds of tension.

Yeah it could be a marketing Stratergy for their strings but, i am very sure that u can get great control and power with 20-22 Lbs.

I think I fu are na offensive player u would love to keep something like 22Lbs and if u are a defensive player then u would love to add a little more.

I think it works for me with string tension like 22Lbs.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i disagree. i feel that the string can deliver more power if i string at 26lbs. i used to string at 24. and that was ok. but a change from 24 to 26 was noticable.

i can't even imagine going back to 22lbs. that would feel like noodle..

9. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    i agree with ya kwun ^_^

10. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    It depends on the racket as well in case some of you missed it. A boxed frame racket usually reacts better at high tensions than those of Widebody design.

For example, my Carb 25 feels fine at 24 lbs on BG-85. But my ISP900ss feels like a dud on BG-85 at 23lbs. Both were strung by the same person! But when I string it lower at 21lbs, it comes to life again !!

My interpretation is that high tensions actually case these 'softer' frames to seize up and thus make them very 'flat' and unresponsive. But if the basic sub-frame is rigid enough, it does not react to such phenomena so adversely.

I also agree with Byron that at high tensions, its difficult to play with it as its not forgiving at all. A slight mishit and you may end up with a sore arm or a totally off shuttle.

And strength wise, as Byron or Modious can attest for me, by smashes ain't lousy at all, though I usually don't put 100% into them less I'm sure of a kill.

But control wise, at high tensions, I find that I can push and smash more accurately. Usually within half a feet of where I want the shuttle to go. At lower tensions, it goes up to about a feet. Likewise for drops, they are sharper at higher tensions. Just note that it requires you to hit the shuttle earlier to do a proper base to base lob at high tensions. I usually string at 22-24lbs and no more. But more of the lower side.

11. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    My experience is a little bit difference. I found that I can play with higher tension on my Mizuno racquets which are very soft (26 to 28 lbs). However when I played with much stiffer racquets like ISO600Power, ISO900SX at 25/6 lbs, I found that it is very difficult to push the shuttle far enough.

12. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    So why BG85 is so powerful ? Isn't it a relatively soft string ?

13. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Kwun the quote was great!

Feels like a noodle at 22Lbs. But i would never ever dreaam again of stringing it at 26-27Lbs.

I did not like the feel of the racket.Either way as Gladius points out it could aslo be the material of the racket and how responsive the racket is to the kind of stringing.

14. Daniel Chen

Daniel Chen Guest

tight strings are very powerful but the sweet spot becomes very small. you have to hit very accurately and very powerfully.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my experience is a little different too. my Iso900SS was strung at 26lbs. and it feels absolutely great...

maybe there are are different techniques involved in the stringing for higher tensions?

16. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Byro,

Well for my racket, I used ot like 22 until I gotten a bit stronger becuase the tone which kept ringing on my racket did not last for long so now I gradually increased it from 22.5 to 22.75 now. If that doesn't work, I'll have to do 23 to get that great sounding ping I like. (well if you know music, it's that C sharp sound when I smash/clear)