Hong Kong Open 2006: Day 3 (30/08)

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by badMania, Aug 29, 2006.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Quite a number of interesting matches today (particularly in MD). Predicted winners in bold.

MS ROUND OF 32 (with the next round also played today)
    Taufik Hidayat vs Lee Tsuen Tseng -- Taufik is regaining his form slowly...and I will be very surprised if he losses today.

Ng Wei vs Sony Dwi Kuncoro -- the local player to win.

Kenneth Jonassen vs Sairul Amar Ayob -- a tough but manageable match for the Danes.

Krishnan Yogendran vs Boonsak Ponsana -- the Thai to progress for possibly another rematch with Chen Yu later today.

Simon Santoso vs Lee Hyun Il -- it will be a major achievement if Simon can beat the Korean no 1 player.

MD ROUND OF 16
    Gan Teik Chai/Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif vs Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan -- (MATCH OF THE ROUND) and I hope the Indonesian pair prevail! With the withdrawal of Jens Eriksen/Martin Lundgaard Hansen, the path to the final in the top half of the draw is wide open for both Pelatnas pairs to meet each other in the semi-final.

Guo Zhendong/Xu Chen vs Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto -- Luluk/Alvent were once again pushed to 3 sets by the unknown English pair, while Guo/Xu also won after a deuce in the rubber set. Luluk/Alvent to win...but...at their current form, any pair can beat them!

Keita Matsuda/Tadashi Ohtsuka vs Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah -- should be a breeze for the veteran Malaysian pair.

Lee Jae Jin/Hwang Ji Man vs Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya -- a close candidate for match of the round...and the 2 pairs meet again after only 3 days. I think Tony/Candra will win yet again.

Eng Hian/Rian Sukmawan vs Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun -- the Djarum pair won their first match against the Singaporean brothers yesterday and it will be a major upset if they can beat Fu/Cai.

WS ROUND OF 16
    Zhang Ning vs Saina Nehwal -- a good experience for the Indian youngster.

Xu Huaiwen vs Jiang Yanjiao (MATCH OF THE ROUND) -- Jiang to win.

Lee Yun Hwa vs Wang Chen -- the local player to progress.

Wong Mew Choo vs Xie Xingfang -- unlucky for Wong to play Xie so early.

WD ROUND OF 16
    Chien Yu-Chin/Cheng Wen-Hsing vs Satoko Suetsuna/Miyuki Maeda -- no problem for the Chinese Taipei pair.

Jo Novita/Gresya Polii vs Gail Emms/Donna Kellogg (MATCH OF THE ROUND) -- if Lita/Nathalia can beat Emms/Kellogg, I think Jo/Gresya can do the same. They are on a roll...and I hope they can reach the semi-final.

Jiang Yanmei/Li Yujia vs Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen -- no problem for the Chinese pair.

XD ROUND OF 16
    Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms vs He Hanbin/Yu Yang -- the English pair is still not in their top form, but, they should win today.

Zheng Bo/Zhao Tingting vs Songpol Anukritayawan/Kunchala Voravichitchaikul -- the Chinese pair was stretched to 3 sets by an Indian pair with the score at 21-19 in the final set. The Thai no 2 pair should pose a threat.

Hendri Saputra Kurniawan/Li Yujia vs Anthony Clark/Donna Kellogg -- a tough match for both pairs and I hope the Singaporean pair can win.

Robert Blair/Natalie Munt vs Sudket Prapakamol/Saralee Thoungthongkam (MATCH OF THE ROUND) -- again, a tough match but Sudket/Saralee should win for another encounter with Nova/Butet in the QF tomorrow.

Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir vs Robert Mateusiak/Nadiezda Kostiuczyk -- the Indonesian pair was once again stretched to 3 sets in the opening round by the Korean pair Hwang/Ha. They should have an easier task today before the tough battles resume tomorrow with possibly Sudket/Saralee, Xie/Zhang (their main threat) and Zhang/Gao or Robertson/Emms all waiting for them if they are to win back-to-back titles. I personally don't think they can win the title this week.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Watched Gan and Zakry last night. I like them! They look hungry. Flanndy and Sigit didn't have any fire or really seem to want to win! So the young M'sians rolled out a straightforward win.

3. kemana

kemana Regular Member

"Lee Jae Jin/Hwang Ji Man vs Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya "

it's like the KO md final rematch

4. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer

Yes...both of them are hungry for success and have improved a lot since Rexy took over....they communicate really well on and off court.....

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic..

Hmm, Sigit just wants to go shopping, so does Flandy...hehe:p
    I don't think they really care if they'll win another title or not; they're just joining the trip for sparring purposes for the younger pair & playing to "kill time" til next yr, so no pressure..Besides, they're in Hong Kong!..:p ;)

#5 ctjcad, Aug 29, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I agree! In fact, they have won the Singapore Open title this year and are not in contention for the WC. It's time for PBSI to promote Hendra Gunawan/Joko Riyadi to the main team. I thought they would play in Korea and Open, but, apparently, they are still being grounded at home. They are also not included in the Singapore Satelitte.

Pelatnas No 2 Team is in full force for the Singapore Satelitte this week and probably JPGG Surabaya Satelitte next week. Time for Yoga/Yonathan or Frans/Rendra as well as Nitya/Nadya to win some titles. I hope to see some of their matches later this afternoon.

7. rudy6713

rudy6713 Regular Member

I looked at website from Match schedule..it seems that taufik thru 3rd round, Simon lost to Lee and Sonny Dwi beat ng wei and face Chen Hong.All chinese are thru

8. kemana

kemana Regular Member

i thought Lindan beat ng wei yesterday?:confused:

9. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
  10. byelnats

byelnats Regular Member

Poor Simon. Guess the No 1 Korean player is still too much for him. Hope he gets going soon. We will need him in the near future.

Good news of Sony beating Ng Wei. It will be an interesting match against Chen Hong. I hope Sony will win.

11. kemana

kemana Regular Member

oh, my fault,hehe, i took him wrong

12. rudy6713

rudy6713 Regular Member

Lin Dan def. Agus

13. kemana

kemana Regular Member

yes,i made a mistake:)

14. yingcheng

yingcheng Regular Member

robertson/emms lost?? oops~~~

15. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Woog Mew Choo will face XXF...Hope she can win but is hard...Never mind..Gain more experince when playing with the china

16. Arun V

Arun V Regular Member

Student
    19 year old Kashyap P of India through to the pre-quarter, as all other Indians lost.Kashyap bt Wacha Przemyslam (POL) - 17:21,22:20,21:13.
    Kashyap will now play Taufik in the pre-quarters, which will be a good experiance for the yongter.

17. Arun V

Arun V Regular Member

Student
    Anand Pawar of India extendes Lee Chong Wei to a 3 setter -22:20,6:21,11:21.

18. Bombat

Bombat Regular Member

Glad to see Taufik steps to the next round..I Hope he can win this tourney at the end. Well done for Sony too beat the host player..I think he is one of talented player but inconsistent..Unlucky for Simon..:(

19. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

In women single

Zhang Ning bt Saina Newhal 21-11 21-10
    Yao Jie bt Anna Rice 21-10 21-12

20. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

Lin dan bt sapkulchananart 21-11 21-15
    Yeoh bt Jayaram 21-16 21-16
    Taufik Hidayat bt Lee tsuen seng 21-17 21-7
    Chen hong bt Bobby Milroy 21-9 21-11
    Jonassen bt Ayob 21-10 21-7