accessment/testing for newcomers

Discussion in 'Lee's Badminton Training Centre' started by Augster, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Augster

Augster Regular Member

question coming from newcomers who have played badminton before (mainly recreational) and are going to be accessed/tested by a coach to see which class/level they should apply for/capable of entering.

what are some of the requirements/stuff u should be capable of doing to get the greenlight to enter higher intermediate (3 and 4) or advance (4 and 5) classes?

2. devilcat

devilcat Regular Member

Don't worry too much! I used to take their level 3-4/4-5 class! They make is sounds so professional :D but the main purpose of group lesson is to provide fun, discipline and sparring to each player! Do not expect too much in their group lessons if you want big improvement, however, inorder to get a greenlight........they'll be looking at your acceptable footwork and consistency of your strokes! Hope it helps!

3. Augster

Augster Regular Member

would this be a general idea of acceptable footwork? ==> no need to take more than 2 steps to reach a shot, always stepping out your right foot first (right hand players) and using your left as a pivot for reaching corner shots. after hitting the shot over, u return back to center, mid court position.

i'm a right-handed player. for starting position as a receiver, should u be having your right foot forward or left foot forward? because i've been mainly hearing u should have your left foot forward (and it feels correct to have left foot forward) but then this youtube video on footwork (a guy that looked like a coach) showed otherwise so i just want clarification.

for types of strokes, do u mean doing types of shots like drops, lobs, clears and smashes? what % would be considered "consistent"?

thanks for the reply.

4. devilcat

devilcat Regular Member

I'm not a coach but I suggest you do a search here! I'm sure you can find some help! Relax and enjoy it!

5. mathdude1284

mathdude1284 New Member

For a right handed player, you should have your left at the front when you recieve a serve.

To get into a higher level group lesson, you will need to know atleast the folowing:

- Front and back footwork
    - high clear to the base line
    - drop before the indicated spot
    - nets both sides
    - serve to base line
    - maybe six corner footwork
    - touch sidelines

Im not sure if im missing any...its been a long time since i've been in group lessons since joining the team.