User Tag List

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gosh didn't know it happened until just now.

I love playing and watching racquet sports. I remember in a Grand Slam quarter final (it should be wimbledon), because of some silly mistake, Venus William's opponant was given one more point in a tie-break. Eventually Venus lost the match.

In her interview Venus was asked how she felt when she knew that the score went wrong. She said one point cannot affect the whole match, and she thought her opponant deserved the win and she was the better player.

In Tennis and Badminton, there are often misjudgements, good line calls, bad line calls and (thus) controversial line calls. Players (regardsless of whether it's badminton, tennis or table tennis) with bad temper would throw their racquets, shout at the umpire and/or the line judge. Of course it's not a good show of sportmanship or manner, but personally I think it's okay to vent your anger to a certain extend, so that you can continue to play. What's more is that spectators sometimes like seeing players with character.

Not to compare Badminton to Tennis, but I saw John Mcenroe, Mark Philippoussis, Marat Safin screaming like mad men on the court because of (what they thought were) bad line calls, but NONE of them left the court just like that. They all knew that they are professional players, and they understood that sports is a form of entertainment, and they were there to give a good match and to entertain people who have bought tickets to see them (according to a lot of players like Lindsay Deventport, Amilie Mauresmo, Martina Navratilova, and even John Mcenroe). Without people watching them, there would be no matches, there would be nothing on which professional players can live.

Yes of course the players are playing for themselves. But this is exactly why they need to continue despite the calls against them. This is how they make themselves professional. They are playing for their professionalism. God knows how many bad calls there can be in a match, it might not be as fair as one wants to be. But isn't it the reason why you want to win the match even more?

I have never seen a tennis player forfeiting the match because of a bad line call; I have not come across a respectable football team leaving the field early because of an unfair red card (I have seen crazy fans killing the judge cos of so though); and none of the table tennis player I know gives up the game cos of a call based on a misjudgement. I don't see why a badminton player has the previledge to leave the court just because of a line call (which may or may not be bad) against him/her.

Leaving the match like this is not only UNprofessinoal, but also immature, and not respecting the audience, as well as the players themselves.
    Last edited by Pokla; 08-31-2006 at 06:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unless Taufik got permission from the umpire, he should not have left the court (16.5.2 under Laws of badminton)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pokla
    Gosh didn't know it happened until just now.

I love playing and watching racquet sports. I remember in a Grand Slam quarter final (it should be wimbledon), because of some silly mistake, Venus William's opponant was given one more point in a tie-break. Eventually Venus lost the match.

In her interview Venus was asked how she felt when she knew that the score went wrong. She said one point cannot affect the whole match, and she thought her opponant deserved the win and she was the better player.

In Tennis and Badminton, there are often misjudgement, good line calls, bad line calls and (thus) controversial line calls. Player (regardsless of whether it's badminton, tennis or table tennis) with bad temper would throw their racquets, shout at the umpire and/or the line judge. Of course it's not a good show of sportmanship or manner, but personally I think it's okay to vent your anger to a certain extend, so that you can continue to play. What's more is that spectators sometimes like seeing players with a character.

Not to compare Badminton to Tennis, but I saw John Mcenroe, Mark Philippoussis, Marat Safin screaming like mad men on the court on (what they thought were) bad line calls, but NONE of them left the court just like that. They all know that they are professional players, and they know that sports is a form of entertainment, and they are there to give a good match and to entertain people who have bought tickets to see them (according to a lot of players like Lindsay Deventport, Amilie Mauresmo, Martina Navratilova, and even John Mcenroe). Without people watching them, there would be no matches, there would be nothing on which professional player can live.

Yes of course the players are playing for themselves. But this is exactly why they need to continue despite the calls against them. This is how they make themselves professional. They are playing for their professionalism. God knows how many bad calls there can be in a match, it might not be as fair as one wants to be. But isn't it the reason why you want to win the match even more?

I have never seen a tennis player forfeiting the match because of a bad line call; I have never seen a respectable football team leaving the field early because of an unfair red card (I have seen crazy fans killing the judge cos of so though); and none of the table tennis player I know give up the game cos of a call based on misjudgement. I don't see why a badminton player has the previledge to leave the court just because of a line call (which may or may not be bad) against them.

Leaving the match like this is not only UNprofessinoal, but also immature, and not respecting the audience and the players themselves.
    well put .... bit long but well put!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vsdelfin
    *looks at your profile*
    9.16 posts per day
    My bad, I forgot the #1 rule of posting on a message board:

You signed up with this account an hour ago...why don't you post with your real handle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now now, keep it clean, this is not the place for personal stuff, we're here to discuss the tournament ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DinkAlot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taufik-ist
    i have missed the drama ....

hmmm i was dissappointed with what taufik did ...

wc (lindan vs taufik) is getting hotter for sure
    i feel the same, really feel bad for the fans there, they must be very dissappointed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vsdelfin
    can anybody state any IBF rule that Taufik broke?

... that's what I thought
    The Laws of Badminton Rule 18.5.2:

"Except at the conclusion of a match, no player shall leave the court without the Umpire's consent."

TroLL = oWNED!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahhaa. his afraid obviously, because he know what he sad earlier on doesnt make some sense, that if all players can leave as and when during a match, then i think this is the worse outcome ever!

player's motto, never say die till the match is over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taufik looks to be reasonably calm in the photos. At least he shows respect for his opponent by shaking hands - bad luck for the crowd I guess.

I think he chose not to continue as his focus was drawn away from the game - a mental setback from which he thought he could not recover.

Lets see if he can keep his head for the WC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, actually the bad calls happened to Taufik at 2002 Thomas Cup Final when he played Lee Tsuen Tseng in Guangzhou-China. Two calls had been controversy and it affected so much on Taufik's play. Finally, since he was so emotional then he lost the game. It think at this time, he also felt the same emotion and based on the experience there is no use to continue the game since he doesnt have the mood any longer to play. Sure at the end if it is continued, he could have been defeated by LD easily. So the solution is, Taufik's coach (Mulyo) has to train his emotion instead of his technique and strategy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rhinovinda
    You know, actually the bad calls happened to Taufik at 2002 Thomas Cup Final when he played Lee Tsuen Tseng in Guangzhou-China. Two calls had been controversy and it affected so much on Taufik's play. Finally, since he was so emotional then he lost the game. It think at this time, he also felt the same emotion and based on the experience there is no use to continue the game since he doesnt have the mood any longer to play. Sure at the end if it is continued, he could have been defeated by LD easily. So the solution is, Taufik's coach (Mulyo) has to train his emotion instead of his technique and strategy.
    i agree with 100 %

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taufik plays badminton already for an age.... he should know such a situation. This thing not the first time & it could happen everywhere.
    Even in Indonesia Open some player also got bad calls.

I just think .. he might be affraid lose to Lin Dan... it makes him not confidence for the World Championship in Madrid.

If he is really a good sportman, he would keep continue the match & show to audience that he can play well & beat Lin Dan and.... proves he self is a good shuttler to the world.

What a pity !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he thinks he is gonna lose only because of the bad line calls, he should look back at the Indo Open when he defeated Bao Chun Lai. Should Bao walked away as well in Indo Open after numerous bad calls ?

TH is going down the drain lately, he is just being childish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, sometimes emotions run wild in certain situations where you fight hard for the ball but your luck doesnt seem to give in

and sometimes your thoughts also run about and you start realizing all the training, the effort you put in, has gone down the drain, all these can affect the player especially taufik, who sometimes cannot control himself because he has a strong character and believe strongly in his actions..

but in my opinion, i feel that he shouldnt give up just because its just a bad call and should prove to the audience that the bad call wont affect his play plus, taufik has the skill, so why worry? why think so much about just a bad call? for the sake of pride? learn to let go and never give up, if he thinks in such a way, " anyway, im not the only one with the bad call, just my luck"
    i believe he can still win... its all in the mind.

i still remeber lin dan vs lcw in macau open where lin dan did a fake shot and drop after the net but it landed out, he protest abit but still in the end gave in and continued playing,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstone
    If he thinks he is gonna lose only because of the bad line calls, he should look back at the Indo Open when he defeated Bao Chun Lai. Should Bao walked away as well in Indo Open after numerous bad calls ?

TH is going down the drain lately, he is just being childish.
    numerous? Hahahaha.... It was only one as I remember and it was at the end of the match. Well.....Bao walked out of court anyway in the following 3 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What was the score?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast