good cities in china for badminton

Discussion in 'China / Hong Kong' started by fried_frog, Aug 31, 2006.

1. fried_frog

fried_frog New Member

Hello,

I'm planning to go to china to learn mandarin next year from jan to august. Since I'm a badminton fanatic, one of my consideration for a place is their badminton environment. I also would really like to get some coaching/training. So if anybondy can help me suggesting a place, I would be very happy.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u have to be more specific. Tibet?:rolleyes:

3. george333

george333 Regular Member

Associate Director
    Beijing is good, there are clubs everywhere. Each club would have at least a couple of people who are willing to train you.

4. Marcustzy

Marcustzy Regular Member

Yes Beijing is good as there are many badminton clubs with pretty high level of play. You may also consider Shanghai as it is one of the friendliest cities for foreigners.

5. Han_yaojie

Han_yaojie New Member

badminton camp

hello all.

i'm a 14 year old boy that loves badminton, to bad i live in norway. i'm a chinese so my language is no problem. i'm tired of being beaten by norwegians and i really want to get better. i figured out that the only way for me to improve fast and yet good then i need ot go to china.

i read the stuff you people wrote, but i need more spesific explanations like where the clubs and and if i can get in. but i can only stay there for my summer holidays(2 months)

please help me.

best regards

Han Yaojie

6. SeasonW

SeasonW Regular Member

student
    i will be in guang zhou soon to get training.I have heard thet guang zhou is quite a good place to get coaches.

7. AChan

AChan Regular Member

Rehabilitation
    But most Guang Zhou people speak Cantonese.

8. HongKongIp

HongKongIp Regular Member

Worker
  9. song111

song111 New Member

architect
    Beijing is good, not only for your mandarin learning, and with many Bad. clubs as well... welcome

10. winniee

winniee Regular Member

did you find a coach yet? if so, can you tell me more about it? like price and exact place.

11. Whipper

Whipper Regular Member

I would name Guangzhou,Nanning and Beijing as the top 3 cities for amateur players. I'm originally from BJ and find no problem talkin with people in mandarin here in GZ.

btw,I pay my coach rmb100 per hour (he now prices 150 to new trainees), one-to-one training, plus ¥30 for court rent.

12. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    wow..that's so expensive.How good is ur coach?Zhaojianhua's calliber?
    Dont forget zhejiang province,fujian province..they produces great players as well..n that means badminton education in those place is not bad as well

#12 Smichz, Jun 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  13. Whipper

Whipper Regular Member

well, my coach is good enough for any amateurs, he doesn't have to be anyone like Zhaojianhua but used to be senior mate of Lindan when they were at youth team.

14. winniee

winniee Regular Member

wer exactly do u train at in china?

15. Whipper

Whipper Regular Member

I mean Guangzhou.

16. winniee

winniee Regular Member

can you tell me the exact address please?

17. Whipper

Whipper Regular Member

Winniee, actually you can find coaches at every court in Chinese cities.talk to them, make your own schedule and you'll be at courses.

if you read Chinese, things are much easier. below is a gateway website of amateurs badminton games where all major clubs and fora are listed (clubs and fora are also entry to find coaches)
    http://www.chinabadminton.com/ball/Boards.asp?Assort=50

I play 3 times a week in Riverside Garden: Tuesday 8-11pm,Thursday 8-11pm and Sunday 3-6pm.
    My training time: Tuesday or Thursday at 7pm. Sunday at 3pm (like today)

18. Whipper

Whipper Regular Member

Training Courses in GZ for example:
    court rent on coach.

For children: 10 lessons/¥500
    Adult Starting courses: 6 lessons/¥350
    Adult Advance courses: 6 lessons/¥350
    Adult Mix : 10 lessons/¥500

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i can't find a suitable thread so i put it in here
    ----------------------------------------------
    Issue date: 2/11/10
    Sports
    Badminton? More like good-minton
    An inside look into one of China's most popular sports from a Hopkins student studying abroad
    By Eric Goodman

I'll start off this column with the same phrase that opened my last one - "I love sports. Plain and simple, they are the best thing ever."

Even though I'm studying abroad in China this semester, I still make an effort to get to the gym every week (and when sub-20 degree temperatures subside I'll go play some soccer or basketball), and I follow sports events on the Internet.

The Chinese are very fond of sports, especially ping pong and soccer, but badminton may be the most beloved.

Last weekend I had a great experience with my host family here in Beijing. After having a delicious lunch of Peking duck, we drove across the city to a gymnasium. While it looked like a barn from the outside, inside were a swimming pool and two large floors filled with about ten badminton courts each.

Badminton (in Chinese pronounced you mao chee-oh) is one of the most popular sports in China. Players use a lightweight racquet to hit the shuttlecock over a net and onto the opponent's side of the court. The feathers on the shuttlecock create much higher drag, causing it to decelerate more rapidly than a ball.

That being said, the best players can hit the shuttlecock at speeds upwards of 200 miles per hour!

The sport was invented in England in the mid 19th century, but over the last few years China has boasted many of the world's most dominant badminton players.

Since making its debut as an Olympic sport in 1992, China has won more medals in badminton, 30 overall - including eleven gold, more than any other country (the United States has a big goose egg in the medal count).

Currently, the world's reigning badminton player is China's Li Dan, the 2008 men's singles gold medalist. Li is a major celebrity in China and has found a way to spice up and bring attention to the sport through his demonstrative and tempermental personality, in what is usually considered a civil sport.

While I had played badminton at the Hopkins recreation center, it was usually on a casual level. But this was a whole new ballgame, or shuttlecockgame if you will. The Chinese take their badminton very seriously.

At first I was not sure of the proper Chinese sports etiquette. Was I supposed to go all out and try to be as competitive as possible? Was I supposed to let the host win? Was I supposed to go easy against the wife?

I soon realized how competitive the Chinese treat the sport, as within five minutes I was drenched in sweat from running around the court.

My host family dad is 51 years old, and it was not a stretch to say that he absolutely destroyed me in about ten minutes of badminton. He tried giving me some pointers (in Chinese) such as not gripping the racket as hard, letting it loose in my hand, and using my wrist to hit the shuttlecock to prevent putting too much strain on the arm. Playing along with us on the other courts were about 15 other men between the ages of 30 and 60.

We would play for about twenty minutes at a time with breaks in between. It was interesting to see the similarities and differences between eastern and western sports culture.

For example, what do athletes in America do during their breaks? They drink Gatorade and rest up while making small talk. What did these guys do during the breaks? They drink tea brought from home and smoke cigarettes while making small talk (one of the guys engaged me in a conversation about the United States' controversial sale of military weapons to Taiwan).

Yet there were interesting differences to note. When I asked if there was any place I could buy bottled water, I got some blank stares and a resounding chorus of "no."

And unlike America where most sporting recreational activity is done in shorts and a T-shirt, the Chinese prefer to play in full sweats. Also, it was not improper etiquette to spit out onto the side of the court during stoppages in play. Regardless, the atmosphere was actually quite comparable to pick-up sports in America.

It's a neat experience to check out another country's sports cultures. Two winters ago while vacationing in Rome, I went to a professional basketball game and was fascinated by the similarities and differences in sport culture.

The same thing happened when I went to Ireland last summer and attended a championship hurling match, one of Ireland's national sports. If you get the chance to travel or study abroad, I highly recommend seeking out sporting events. You will not be disappointed.

For now though, since if you are reading this you are probably stuck at Hopkins, take a break from studying and trek over to the recreation center to take part in some good badminton.

20. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

its good to see a sport like badminton has found a place & flourished so much in china in the last few decades.i can't imagine withought them playing a major role,badminton could be on the way to extinction.maybe it's meant for tabletennis and badminton to make it big in china? if not for china,then th eonly other coutnries who'll play thesport will be those southeast asian countrries.