User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was how we looked like in the 70s. Long hair was the fashionable then. A pointer from the Great Wong Peng Soon at one ofthe Thomas Cup Training sessions at the Stadium Negara.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, you are absolutely right. Foot Lian is on the right in the top picture and swee Leong was standing at the left in the bottom picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bchaiyow View Post
    Hint: they were all part of a national team
    This is one of the many reunion in KL. Full turned out at SOO Kee Mee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bbn View Post
    Seriously speaking it could be promising player of that time Lim Cheng Hoe.

Haven't seen him for 30 years so forgotten abt him.

Moe Ching Keat or Cikgu is a "father " to all the Thomas cuppers,

this era has no records but Moe can tell you all about them in his memoirs.
    Yeah Moe Chin Keat (CIKU) is one of the most dedicated coaches of all time.. He coached us for FREE and he fixed our guts and also provided shuttles.. He took good care of all his students..

I've played with most of the players in the picture as they all come back to play with CIKU once in a while... I wonder who will comeby for this Sundays game with CIKU as its his birthday tomorrow...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

perhaps u could take some photos and upload them in this thread? thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will take some pix tonight and upload em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Young fan of Malaysian TC1976

Quote Originally Posted by CHC7576 View Post
    This must be the Thomas Cup team that least remembered by fans. The first ever team that came together for the 75/76 Thomas Cup competition, played first time in the Thomas Cup series and went straight to the Final in Bangkok. For those who are in the 40s and 50s, they would be able to remember them. From left, James Selveraj, Moo Foot Lian, Quek Chew Peng, Cheah Hong Chong 9CHC75/76), Dominic Soong, Saw Swee Leong, Pua Ah Wah and the most dedicated Camp Commandant, Mr. Moe Chin Keat.
    Really appreciate what you share with us this important bit of Malaysian badminton history. Most of us were too young if not born to remember the history created after we beat Denmark. If not mistaken, the papers hailed the team as the Magnificent Seven. I remember I rooted for Saw Swee Leong (the Penang Phine Kia, by his gangster style) to upset Swie King but it wasn't to be. Phua Ah Hua was the battling kid from Kelantan. I remember Dominic and you gave a good fight against the Indonesians. Also Moo was having so much trouble with his service. I was disappointed the team didn't go on to challenge the Indonesians in the latter years. That's what I remember as a young fan 33 years ago.
    koaylt

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have not seen Lim Cheng Hoe for a long time. Has anyone able to trace him. I would love to hear from him.
    No, that is not Lim Cheng Hoe and I would have recognized him if he is so. Lim was one year my senior at Shaw Road Primary School and later in San Peng Secondary School in KL. Lim was actually a very good table tennis player as well as in badminton, champion in both. He picked baddy and went on to play reserve for MAS team. His brother was in my grade and a good karate guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    No, that is not Lim Cheng Hoe and I would have recognized him if he is so. Lim was one year my senior at Shaw Road Primary School and later in San Peng Secondary School in KL. Lim was actually a very good table tennis player as well as in badminton, champion in both. He picked baddy and went on to play reserve for MAS team. His brother was in my grade and a good karate guy.

Hi One ToughBirdie, I came to this site by chance......this is the karate guy you are talking about.....which means I am Cheng Hoe's brother Anyone of you outhere wants to know about him or take contact with him......I am at your service.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have not seen Lim Cheng Hoe for a long time. Has anyone able to trace him. I would love to hear from him.

Hi CHC, I stumbled here by chance....I am Cheng Hoe's brother. If you see this and still would love to contact my brother....just give me a howl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karate Kid View Post
    Hi One ToughBirdie, I came to this site by chance......this is the karate guy you are talking about.....which means I am Cheng Hoe's brother Anyone of you outhere wants to know about him or take contact with him......I am at your service.......
    I knew you better than your brother...this is a small world indeed...actually, if I remember, you lived near San Peng Road and attended San Peng Road School 2 (not 1, there were 2 sessions in this school), you would know me and I had been to your house and you had a fish tank with a fish that fed on other fishes, right?...or hmmm, I could have mix them up. Now, what are you doing in Norway, care to pm me, thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more thing, I recalled in one karate tournament when you were still in your teens, you beat a multi-Dan japanese guy in the SF and supposed to meet another multi-Dan Japanese guy in the final but you conceded a WO cos this fella was too tough...now, this happened in 1973, and that is 35 yrs ago, if my memory serves me right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot recall your middle name but your third name is 'Keong', right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Who woulda thunk OTB would meet one of his long lost friends in BC??..

I knew you better than your brother...this is a small world indeed...and I had been to your house and you had a fish tank with a fish that fed on other fishes, right?...
    ..tis indeed a small world because of one thing: the power of the internet/information superhighway that can link/inform the rest of the world within a fingertip. Imagine 35 yrs ago, there would be no way this kind of information/contact would come around, would it??..
    A fish fed on other fishes??..Piranhas??..
    One more thing, I recalled in one karate tournament when you were still in your teens, you beat a multi-Dan japanese guy in the SF and supposed to meet another multi-Dan Japanese guy in the final but you conceded a WO cos this fella was too tough...now, this happened in 1973, and that is 35 yrs ago, if my memory serves me right.
    ..wow, still remember the accounts from 35 yrs ago, good memory..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 05-12-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..tis indeed a small world because of one thing: the power of the internet/information superhighway that can link/inform the rest of the world within a fingertip. Imagine 35 yrs ago, there would be no way this kind of information/contact would come around, would it??..
    A fish fed on other fishes??..Piranhas??..

..wow, still remember the accounts from 35 yrs ago, good memory..
    It is not a piranha...I remember it is a big fish roaming in that big tank...or I could have mistaken for another person...but definitely, we knew each other...one error I made, it is not 35 yrs cos' we attended that school between 1969 to 1971, that makes it 2009 - 1971 = 38 yrs ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew you better than your brother...this is a small world indeed...actually, if I remember, you lived near San Peng Road and attended San Peng Road School 2 (not 1, there were 2 sessions in this school), you would know me and I had been to your house and you had a fish tank with a fish that fed on other fishes, right?...or hmmm, I could have mix them up. Now, what are you doing in Norway, care to pm me, thanks.

Hi OTB, Wow....now my mind is searching and wondering who you are You are right about the aquarium....fish tank or whatever....San Peng Rd School 2 is correct ( also known as Sam Seng Rd School ) but no, I don't live near the school then. I was living in Salak South Garden. Memory slipped my friend Well, I am not sure about the big bully fish.......memory slipped me too

Ok, to your question what am I doing in Norway.....ready for a long Indian story? Oops.....no, sorry...hope James Selvaraj miss this one I am still the same ass kicking karate kid.....but promoted one up.....am now the national coach of Norwegian Traditional Karate Federation. Talking about Malaysia Boleh hehehe......

What is pm by the way? Been away since 1976.....losing touch with stuff like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, you make me sounds like a hero in one moment and a zero the next....and all in one breath You were right about the WO in the final....but I was taken (bungkus out ) to the hospital after the SF la......Meeee....surrender!!!??? Never I was a very hot headed teens who didn't know better way back then.....the tougher the better...nothing to lose.........it was 1974 by the way.....

Man, you sure know a lot.........

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast