Hong Kong Open 2006 FINALS (02/09)

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by badMania, Sep 1, 2006.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

It's the finals tomorrow and NO, it will not be an all-Chinese sweep this year :D Too bad I will not be in the QE stadium this year to support the Indonesian players :cool: Just a note, 3 of the finals are similar to last year's.

According to the schedule:

WOMEN'S SINGLES
    Zhang Ning vs Xie Xingfang -- yawn...yet again another encounter between these 2 players. Zhang to win!

MEN'S SINGLES
    Lin Dan vs Lee Chong Wei (MATCH OF THE DAY) -- amazing comeback by LCW today. The question is does he have the stamina to beat Lin Dan? I think Lin Dan will win, but I would love it if my prediction is wrong!

MIXED DOUBLES
    Zheng Bo/Zhao Tingting vs Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir -- Nova/Butet were absolutely in their top form today, esp in the second set. They simply destroyed Xie/Zhang. Zhang Yawen was particularly frustrated as they trailed by so many points. Another Chinese pair tomorrow and another tough match in store. Nova/Butet have beaten Zheng/Zhao in the Indonesia Open QF with a very close scoreline. It will be tight again and I hope the Indonesian pair can win their fourth consecutive title this year!.

WOMEN'S DOUBLES
    Gao Ling/Huang Sui vs Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen -- another yawn...similar as last year's final. Yang/Zhang to win.

MEN'S DOUBLES
    Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan vs Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah -- a close candidate for match of the round. Choong/Lee will be the top seed at the WC whether or not they win tomorrow. It will be a tough test for Kido/Hendra as they have had a bad record against Choong/Lee, losing in the SEA Games last year and this year's ABC. They have done extremely well in reaching the final, now, do they have the mentality to win tomorrow? Even though I predict that the Malaysian pair will win, I do hope the youngsters prevail and win their first title of the year!

#1 badMania, Sep 1, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  2. khwong

khwong Regular Member

Self Employed
    Yeah the WS and WD are a big YAWN! I sure hope an upset by LCW but i think highly unlikely. I think best bet for a MAS victory is CTF/LWW.

3. mikemike

mikemike Regular Member

boss
    actually,only one match ...

lin vs lee

who will win?

4. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

For my opinion, both of them actually underperformed in the semifinals. I was expecting more from them, they were like kinda 'dreaming' in the 1st set. :eek:
    So tmr whose form is better will be the winner.

5. emms626

emms626 Regular Member

student
    hope lcw will win.......

6. elwin81

elwin81 Regular Member

no matter what, I just hope all the players give their best and fight till the last. Then, they can have some good rest and prepare for the coming WC in weeks.

7. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

having seen LCW live, i seem to like him. LD doesn't seem to be playing well. LCW's come back win will definitely give him that extra boost of confidence. really played solidly in set 2 and 3. LCW for the MS

to be honest, Natsir looks quite cute in person!! :p so they should win the MXD

Zhang Ning should win the LS

Gao/Huang for the LD

and the MD, i'm for the Malaysian pair for their on court antics and personality

slightly OT, anyone notice that the chinese pair of Cai/Fu, prior to serving, will make signals with their fingers behind their backs?

8. zzz...

zzz... Regular Member

that is common for all China Doubles team, they will prepare their partner.

9. elwin81

elwin81 Regular Member

can u share what u see for the MAS MD pair? They are really great in term of personality. I like them so much.

Yes, I noticed CY/FHF, some time they do 5. Some time 1. I think they are indicating their partner what kind of serve he will do. Maybe in term of position???

10. zzz...

zzz... Regular Member

For the MD, I really hope Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan to win. Don't like Choong Tan Fook, he is too arrogant, always blaming Lee Wan Wah.

11. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer

CTF arrogant????? :eek: ....he is a very nice guy....in court sometimes you have to pump your partner up.....and both of them complement each other very well thats why they have been partners for soooooooooo long :D

12. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer

yes they make a signal so the partner knw wher he is servin and can anticipate the return.......table tennis players do that....another pair that does it is Tan Bin Shen/Ong Soon Hock of Malaysia:p

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Lin Dan & Lee ChongWei has really brew into a nice rivalry. strangely, even being a normally chinese supporter, i am hoping to see LCW win this HK Open. i simply like his style and attitude towards the game.

Zhang Ning & Xie Xingfang - i like Zhang Ning attitude too but i like XXF's style more. in either case, these two will be too a close match to judge the outcome from a technical view point.

Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan & Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah - CTF/LWW have the edge on experience here. if they are playing in the right mood, they can beat anybody the world. let's hope they are in the mood of beating the INA pair tomorrow.

Gao Ling/Huang Sui vs Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen - YW/ZJW is in much better form than GL/HS. perhaps age is catching on...

Zheng Bo/Zhao Tingting vs Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir - the reigning world champions definitely has an edge when comparing to the 3rd chinese pair.

having given my prediction, i noticed that, unintentionally, i have chosen:

LD + XXF
    ZJW + CTF

how sweet if that turns out to be the case...

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

badMania, thanks again for the previews...Sorry, you couldn't make it back in time to join the rest of the gang in HK..But hope you're hanging in there..;)

Looking at the matches, esp. for the MS match, I think LCW will be on a high esp. after his win in the SF. I doubt being tired will be an excuse cos he had lost in earlier rd. @ the KO. A good performance by him vs. LD, win or lose, will set his psyche up for the upcoming WC.
    As for XD match, it will be interesting to see how the INA pair come out and establish their game. This time, they are a bit fortunate to not have to face ZJ/GL, again. Yet, they will face another "unknown" CHN pair. Nova/Lilyana have a shot of going to the WC on a positive note and good rhythm if they're able to win. Side note:They seemed to take the NSS and adjusting to it quite well.
    Lastly, the MD match should be a fun one. Both pairs have slightly contrasting style of play; one pair is much younger and on the way up whilst the other has seen 'em all. I think it will be down to which pair can limit their own errors. ;)

#14 ctjcad, Sep 1, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

yes and actually there are pictures of them making those hand/finger signals to each other, in this forum...anyone remember from which tournament(s) and might post them??..:confused: ;)

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

hehe, kwun, you picked LCW instead of LD...;)

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ops...

i guess i did.. never mind... :p

18. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    Aiya... just came back to find out that Fu/Cai lost! :crying:

My prediction (left side are winners): :D
    Lin Dan vs LCW
    Xie Xingfang vs Zhang Ning
    CTF/LWW vs Kido/Setiawan
    Gao/Huang vs Zhang/Yang
    Widianto/Natsir vs Zheng/Zhao

19. elwin81

elwin81 Regular Member

LCW and XXF have huge height difference.

20. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    The only time when LCW will is able to beat LD if they are in Malaysia.

Lin Dan all the way.