User Tag List

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 'X-Men' star plays Badminton

Hi hkhung,

You like 'X-Men', and I found this article.

Thought you might be surprised that a 'X-Men' star plays Badminton.

Rebecca Romijn Uses badminton To Spice Things Up

Cheers... chris@ccc

====== start article ======

From eCANADA NOW
    24-Oct-2006

Rebecca Romijn

Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O’Connell spice up their relationship by playing badminton.

The couple - who have been together since August 2004 - say they’re addicted to the racquet sport and love to play for hours.

Jerry, 32, revealed to People magazine: “I can’t believe I’m saying this publicly but we play a lot of badminton.”

‘X-Men’ star Rebecca added: “We can do it for an entire weekend. We’ll play for four hours a day straight.”

Jerry also revealed he and Rebecca have become addicted to ballroom dancing.

He confessed: “Rebecca and I are really into the TV show ‘Dancing with the Stars’.

“We’ve been taking ballroom dance lessons as a result.”

The pair, who are due to tie the knot, have decided to ditch lavish wedding plans for something more low-key.

Jerry explained: “It’ll be something very small, with just our siblings. Rebecca has a sister and I have a brother.”

Rebecca, 33, recently revealed she is desperate to start a family.

She explained: “I can’t wait. It is actually getting to the point where I get tears in my eyes when I see a pregnant woman. “Family is a priority for me.”

====== end article ======

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a similar note, here is an article about a hong kong singer Sally Yeh and her love for badminton

http://www.internationalbadminton.or...CFA3602045F%7D

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Singer/Actor Sally Yeh playing Badminton

Quote Originally Posted by hkhung

On a similar note, here is an article about a hong kong singer Sally Yeh and her love for badminton

http://www.internationalbadminton.or...CFA3602045F%7D

Good one hkhung,

Singer/Actor Sally Yeh playing Badminton.

I thought I will copy this article in our thread before it disappears.

LilyC should be very proud of this 'Taiwan-born' singer/actor playing Badminton.

Cheers... chris@ccc

====== start article ======

IBF FEATURE

SALLY YEH IBF'S WINNING FORMULA

13th July 2006

Sally is a woman who has stood the test of time. Her voice is amazingly beautiful, exceeded only by her physical beauty

So says an adoring Canadian fan of Sally Yeh, beauty queen, actress, songstress and more recently the International Federation’s first Ambassador of badminton. But what this gentleman from North America fell short of highlighting was the fact that Sally is also an articulate speaker, a great public relations personality and has badminton written all over her - being a player herself and a staunch supporter of one of America’s most popular and vibrant clubs – the Golden Gate Badminton Club.(Image r. Kang welcomes Sally to the IBF)

Anyone who has had close contact with this exceptional lady will tend to agree with this summation of the multi-talented Sally, and that probably is why the IBF zeroed in on the Taiwan-born Canadian beauty from a long list of potentials when the world body was scouting around for someone most suitable to help ‘sell’ the sport to a wider international audience.

Says Punch Gunalan, deputy president of the IBF, “She is an amazing person with a genuine desire for the sport and our interest. I was very impressed with her the very first time I met her. She has excellent understanding of the sport - she plays the game quite well, but more importantly she appreciates our needs and believes that she has the capacity to respond to our desires.” And council member Eraj Wijesinghe was quick to add, “We want our sport to entertain the audience and Sally looks the right person to help us reach that point. She is intelligent, inventive with enormous experience in public relations and promotions. She is a lovable ‘extrovert’ with a bundle of energy. As an entertainer, she is loved by the public and has a great following.” So, who is this lady, Sally Yeh the IBF literally ‘fell in love’ with.(Image: With Kang, Punch and former Olympians)

Sally was born in Taiwan in 1961 but grew up in Canada. When on a holiday trip to the Chinese island in 1978, a local film producer saw her at a fried chicken outlet and asked if she wanted to be in a movie. That was to be the start of a career that spanned more than a decade and included such memorable films as Shanghai Blues, for which she received nomination for Best Actress and The Occupant, both released in 1984, Two years later she reached the pinnacle of her film career when she was adjudged Best Actress for her performance in Peking Opera Blues. Some years later, she played the role of a blind piano-bar singer in John Woo’s production The Killer, released in 1989 which received wide acclaim in the West.

Speaking of her involvement in films, Sally says, “I was probably the only English-speaking Chinese in the Asian entertainment industry. And standing a foot taller than many other performers, I was perceived as "interesting."(Image : A winning combination – Sally & Bang Soo Hyun)

Though her film career brought her much fame and a legion of fans, Sally was destined for something different in show business. “While acting I was also singing and I realized that I was good at that too.” She must have been because since she started professional singing in the early 1980s, she has done 30 albums, plus forty-odd compilations and live recordings. Apart from a good record track of original hits, Sally Yeh has also done a number of Western songs. She holds the distinction of being the recipient of Hong Kong’s ‘Best Female Singer’ award four times.

This Taiwan-Canadian charismatic beauty attributes much of her ability to live up to the demands and competitiveness of the world of entertainment to her inherited Western culture. “I had a lot of American character in me - which was very open dialogue, not afraid to do or say this or that, at a time when everyone was still very traditional and introverted. I believe those brought me some plus points in my association with the entertainment industry.”

But what about the IBF; how did she get involved in it? “It was rather easy for me to say ‘yes’ to Punch when he approached me to be a part of the IBF effort to further enhance the popularity of the sport world-wide. Believe me, badminton is a great sport, I love it and I play it. It is one of those sports that helps keep me trim and fit, helps me work out a sweat in double-quick time and yet provides me much entertainment and fun.”

But while accepting that the sport has made great inroads in recent times, Sally still believes that much more needs to be done to make it really a ‘chart-topper’. “We who play the sport know how exciting it is; a great lot of our fans, who watch it, know that too. But the larger population probably looks at it as just another sport,” expresses Sally with an air of resignation. “This is unfortunate because badminton has a whole range of qualities that some sports do not and yet they enjoy greater spectator and sponsor participation.”

Why so? “I probably will point a finger at ‘packaging’. The sport needs proper packaging. We accept that badminton is an exquisite game with beautiful people playing it. Just look at the girls – they are beautiful. So we have to look at the image side, the presentation of the sport becomes very important. We need to incorporate the excitement and the beautiful people into one wholesome deal. And of course the TV and radio commentators can help. They are in the best position to inject ‘emotion’ and excitement through their presentation. Put all these together and we have a winner!”(Image : The multi-talented Sally in ‘pocho-pocho’)

“The sport has the ingredients to win markets. The American market for instance is there for the asking because those in the West are basically sports-cultured. Badminton incorporates speed with aggression, agility with accuracy, stamina with intelligence and these are winning points in any market, let alone American”, says Sally.

Sally Yeh is conscious of her responsibility to the world body. “We need to change the mind-set of the public and our marketing strategy, create a new identity for the shuttle game – we are talking about a new awakening and I am here to help the IBF achieve that.” And Sally Yeh is a proven winner!

====== end article ======

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Friday night, 27-Oct-2006, is our CCC Session#28, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Hi everyone@ccc,

Friday night, 27-Oct-2006, is our CCC Session#28, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

We will still welcome friends of yours or anyone new to join us in our session.

To Date: 123 players have attended our CCC Friday Night Social.
    We are still welcoming players to join our CCC Membership. Our membership will be closed when membership reaches 32.

Send me an email to ask me for a CCC Membership Form.
    My email address is chris@cccbadminton.com

Players are to print out your Membership Form and to fill in your details before you attend.
    Players without printer can fill in our printed forms when you arrive. Just ask Llewellyn at the reception desk.

As usual, I will be out coaching on Friday so I won't be replying mails.
    But you can get me on my mobile phone = 0419-542-037.

CCC Handicapped Competition: Participants are asked to;
    1. Organise yourself with a Doubles Partner earlier before the night.
    2. Arrive to inform us of your Doubles Partnership, so that our competition boards can set up earlier.
    3. Note: When the attendance is low, Singles Competition will be played instead.
    4. The Selecting Team per MAGNETIC BOARD is to draw empty boxes on the SCORE BOARD.
    5. The Winning Team of the Match is to fill/update the empty boxes on the SCORE BOARD.

Don't forget: We are going for Supper(wine-and-dine) at Kingsways, Glen Waverley, after our session.
    May more ideas be suggested @SUPPERTIME.

Our Wednesday CATS & B-Grade Social was also excellent on 25-Oct-2006. You can read about it (POST#77) in this link= http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35687

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sally beats Susi

TAKING fans by surprise, Sally Yeh beats Wang Lian Xiang during the official opening of the IBF headquater in Kuala Lumpur. Or are they sandiwara ( Malay word for play acting).

Wikipedia:-

Lucia Francisca Susi Susanti (Chinese: 王蓮香, pinyin: Wang Lian-xiang, born in Tasikmalaya, West Java on 11 February 1971) was an Indonesian badminton player. Sometimes her name is also spelled Susy Susanti. She won the Olympic Gold medal for woman's singles in the 1992 Olympic in Barcelona and the bronze medal at the 1996 Atlanta Games. She is married to Alan Budikusuma, who also won a gold medal winner in 1992 Barcelona Olympics.
    Often considered the finest female badminton player Indonesia produced, Susanti dominated the women's singles event in the early 1990s, winning the All-England in 1990, 1991, 1993 and 1994, the World Grand Prix from 1990-1994, and the World Championships in 1993. She also led the Indonesian team to win the Uber Cup in 1994 and 1996.
    Currently she is running a badminton racket maker company with her husband called Alan Susy Technology (Astec).

Don't we all have hidden talent? i think I should try " Ginseng fry Kueh tiau'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't we all have hidden talent? i think I should try " Ginseng fry Kueh tiau'.
    What is this dish?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Astec brand sounds nice. I want one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hokkien lah...

Ginseng fry Kueh tiau
    For those of us that did not graduate from Hokkien Uni , it means

人参炒河粉

GinSeng stir fry flat noodles...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Too complex...

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc
    CCC = Clever Court Coverage !!!
    Hi Chris,

For a beginner like me, it could also mean

CCC = Convoluted Court Coverage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Fuji,

Very modest of you to say that of yourself!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Relak...

Quote Originally Posted by andrewghw
    Hi Fuji,
    Very modest of you to say that of yourself!!
    Hi Andrew,
    I am hoping by saying I am a beginner, maybe next time when we play, you could 'weaken' your smashes just by a tiny little bit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Really Sally Yeh??

Hi everyone@CCC!

Firstly...
    Am I thinking the right Sally Yeh as you guys here?
    葉倩文??? I'm so surprised!!!
    hehe~~ but good on her!!! *thumbs up*
    That's the spirit!!! very impressive!!!

*cheers*

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sally Yeh is the lovely GGsally

Quote Originally Posted by LilyC
    Hi everyone@CCC!

Firstly...
    hehe~~ but good on her!!! *thumbs up*
    That's the spirit!!! very impressive!!!

*cheers*
    Hi LilyC,

If you are a fan of Sally Yeh, maybe you can PM her ???

Search for her @BadmintonCentral. Her nickname is GGsally.

And she is the owner of the Golden Gate Badminton Club.

Good Luck !!!

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Report for Friday, 27-Oct-2006 (Session#28)

Hi everyone@ccc,

Another GOOD SESSION for Friday, 27-Oct-2006 (Session#28)

Start of 3 courts for Doubles Matches and 1 court for Singles.

For those who were absent.
    >>> CCC Members Attendance = 9
    >>> Casual Visitors Attendance = 10
    >>> New Player(s) Welcomed = 2 ; Brandon-C, Richard-T
    >>> To Date: Out of the 125 players who have attended Friday CCC, 19 have become members.

Last night 18 players took part in our CCC Handicapped Competition. Llewellyn is still not fit to play.
    For the most part of the night, 14 played Doubles Matches, while 4 played Singles.

Results To Date: The Handicaps for our 19 CCC Members are listed below.
    Handicaps for our Casual Visitors are recorded, but not listed here.
    -8 chris@ccc
    -8 Andrew-N (absent)
    -8 Jason-F
    -8 Jason-K (absent)
    -8 Kevin-C
    -6 Yih Sheng-C
    -4 Kee-F
    -4 Peter-L
    0 Lisa-C (absent)
    0 Monica-H (absent)
    +2 Andrew-W (absent)
    +2 Julian-H (absent)
    +2 Laurie-C (absent)
    +2 Lily-C (absent)
    +8 Helmut-H
    +8 Ken-H
    +8 Llewellyn-H (not fit to play)
    +8 Mei-W (absent)
    +8 Ned-D (absent)

Participants in our CCC Handicapped Competition were asked to;
    * Organise yourself with a Doubles Partner earlier, before our next Friday session.
    * Arrive to inform us of your Doubles Partnership, so that our competition boards can set up earlier.
    * The Selecting Team per MAGNETIC BOARD is to draw empty boxes on the SCORE BOARD.
    * The Winning Team of the Match is to fill/update the empty boxes on the SCORE BOARD.

Suppertime: Attendance = 9
    Discussions @Supper:
    *Fuji explained to Jack-Y why he should join our CCC Club Membership.
    *David-Z was told who belong to the nicknames of DoublesPlease, smashed_1, Fuji, BadFever, hkhung.
    *hkhung talked about gathering players from our various CCC venues to form his team for our Inter-Club Matches.
    *DoublesPlease and Ian-M had a game of Checkers/Draughts.
    *chris@ccc introduced 2 more games on the Checkers/Draughts Board.

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's her alright, in fact i remember seeing a fan giving her a giant shuttlecock as a present in a concert.

*hkhung talked about gathering players from our various CCC venues to form his team for our Inter-Club Matches.
    It's more like hkhung "prayed and begged" about gathering players to form a team.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Captain hkhung to get teammates from CCC@Waverley first

Quote Originally Posted by hkhung

It's more like hkhung "prayed and begged" about gathering players to form a team.
    Hi hkhung,

If you are to ask other CCC trainees to join your team, you should first ask those trainees from our Wednesday CATS@Waverley, since they all live closer to Waverley.

Most of our trainees at our CCC@Boroondara live in the Eastern Suburbs, like Balwyn.

And, most of our trainees at our CCC@MSAC live in the Western Suburbs, like Altona, and the Southern Suburds, like Sandringham.

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To LilyC:

I am trying to organise another interclub comp against another club. I wonder whether you like to join my team. Please let me know.

If you like to join, let me know about your final exam date.

Time: after your exam (4 weeks from now on) so all your uni people can come

To Chris:

If you are to ask other CCC trainees to join your team, you should first ask those trainees from our Wednesday CATS@Waverley, since they all live closer to Waverley.
    Will do. In fact Helmut and Hai Feng has already said yes. And Ramond said yes if it's after the exam. That means i only need 4 more then, shouldn't be too hard since there's still 4 weeks to organise.

I am worried whether Merisa can get 4 pairs though. This past sunday she only had another person plus me for one court. Just goes to show how difficult to organise these things.

By the way, do you have Merisa's email address?

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast