Do you notice this?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Crazypeetee246, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Crazypeetee246

Crazypeetee246 Regular Member

I'm sure that as people become badminton fanatics, they get addicted to watching the professionals play. Does it ever happen to you where you try to imitate them too much? I've been doing the following:
    • Trying to act smooth when i'm not
    • Lifting my right leg as I smash (i'm right-handed, so my right leg is in back)
    • Trying to drop too much
    • Trying to serve with the raised elbows on forehand serves (I used to serve with a relaxed racquet hand)
    • etc. etc. etc.
    I was just wondering if any of you guys did this :rolleyes:

2. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    erm.....yup...i do the serve thingy too

3. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    haha sounds exactly like my serve, the left legy thing is the right leg thow, but that pretty much sums it up wen i try to think about the match i watched last night the next day at badminton practice. lol

4. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    yea, but i think this is more of a positive thing as i play better when i am trying to imitate the pros, it kinda gives me confidence.

For example, like Taufik's backhand slice crosscourt drop, so i kinda learnt from it and use it in real life. So does PG's chopping.

5. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    yea, but i think this is more of a positive thing as i play better when i am trying to imitate the pros, it kinda gives me confidence.

For example, like Taufik's backhand slice crosscourt drop, so i kinda learnt from it and use it in real life. So does PG's chopping.

Sorry for the double post. I cant seem to delete it. I got disconnected and i thought the post didnt go through because it didnt load to the other page.

#5 jas1121, Sep 2, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  6. huynd

huynd Regular Member

There's nothing wrong watching and trying to imitate pros. When we commit to improve our techniques, watching pros does not neccessary show us what it need to hit correctly, but at least it is like a reference point which keep us from drifting too far from the correct techniques (unless you always have a coach out there any time to tell you what is wrong). Besides, it can gives us a moral boost, like jas211 said.

When i watch the pros jump smash, i notice they lift their racket leg up prior to smashing. This help wind up the body and give them more explosiveness. I just manage to do it lately (after 3 years, there are so many things to learn :) ), and it improves my smash drastically.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Nothing wrong to "learn" from the pros. However, we need to work on our fundamentals 1st. Once the base is soild, we can move on. Even when we come to a stage to able to get "fancy", we might want to carefully flirt which pro(s) we want to learn from. Everyone has his/her own style, no way we can get a combo of "all in the world". :rolleyes:

8. setaa

setaa Regular Member

i did kinda try.. but didn't work for me. it just feels like i'm not playing the way i usually play

9. jko9830

jko9830 Regular Member

Student
    I dont get ur serve thing w/ ur elbos up. :confused: