How do you train your wrist?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by zydoce, Sep 2, 2006.

1. zydoce

zydoce Regular Member

Student
    I have problem using wrist..
    I think when I played badminton, I'd used arms all the time..
    When I used my wrist, I think all my shots have no power at all.. :crying:
    I'm also having trouble with backhand..
    Everytime I did backhand, it's only enough to do drop..
    I can't clear with backhand as if I'm about to clear, the shuttle will only went to the middle of the court and my opponent could easily finished it..
    My smashes also have no power at all as I've been using arm to smash..
    I know in badminton we must use our wrist, but I just can't..
    Please help me how to overcome this problem..

2. ggagnon

ggagnon Regular Member

Engineer
    Your problem might be related to the way you hold your racquet... i'm not an expert on how to hold a racquet but i do know that i can clear and smash quite strongly with my backhand. You don't hold your racquet as you would in baseball. Your thumb and index must make a V shape. Your thumb position on the racquet is key to a powerful shot when you do backhand. I think your index is key to a powerful shot when you do a forehand. I can't explain the details of the grip on this site as it would require me to show you in person.

3. chikkubhai

chikkubhai Regular Member

I had the same problem anyways I am improving day by day after seriously watching in slow motions the foot work, and the arm wrist movements of players whose foot work and game are good. anyways you are on the right sub forum however the answer is somewhere in here plese do a search on back hand clear etc., you should get an answer. Conclusion: Work it out yourself and see or compare with others movements and so on... youll figure it out very soon.

4. zydoce

zydoce Regular Member

Student
    How do you guys train your wrist to make your wrist flick more quickly and can do more powerful shots?

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    To increase wrist speed practise with a squash racquet or a badminton racquet with the cover on. For wrist power, there are three areas to work on. One is to ensure your wrist commands your forearm movement, and use your forearm rotation appropriately, not against it. Two, use 'circles', big or small, to get leverage. Without leverage there is no power-like using a jack to jack a car weighing 2 tons (this is using leverage) or lifting the same car yourself (this has absolutely no leverage). Three, you can strenthen your wrist with the appropriare exercise.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just my 2 cents..

zydoce, there are quite a few threads in this sub-forum on this inquiry...however, i can give you 2 links from the top of my head; 2nd link is to be learned after you're comfortable with it..good luck and the key is keep practicing it..;):)
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34756
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35189

#6 ctjcad, Sep 3, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2006