User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 18

Thread: Single tactics

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Proud to be Malaysian
    Posts
    351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Single tactics

    Yesterday I've entered a tournament..
    My first opponent in the schedule is someone in my u's club..
    I thought I could beat him but it happened negatively..
    I was so tensed about the match, so it made me played safe only..
    I haven't smashed at all and all that I've been doing is just drop only..
    My trainer told me not to play so safe after the first match was over, but I couldn't..
    I don't know why but all my shots always went to the net..
    I've become so tensed as I was thinking that I couldn't afford to lose to a person who I could beat him easily..
    Please give me an advice as I'm going to enter another tournament this coming saturday..
    What is the proper tactic to use when in a match?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zydoce
    Yesterday I've entered a tournament..
    My first opponent in the schedule is someone in my u's club..
    I thought I could beat him but it happened negatively..
    I was so tensed about the match, so it made me played safe only..
    I haven't smashed at all and all that I've been doing is just drop only..
    My trainer told me not to play so safe after the first match was over, but I couldn't..
    I don't know why but all my shots always went to the net..
    I've become so tensed as I was thinking that I couldn't afford to lose to a person who I could beat him easily..
    Please give me an advice as I'm going to enter another tournament this coming saturday..
    What is the proper tactic to use when in a match?
    Looks like you were under pressure and put even more pressure on yourself by thinking that you have to win. I have experience the same thing as you and also the exact opposite which is being too confident and lost.So dont think of winning or losing, and concentrate on the game.

    I was also tensed first and second time and i too played safe by not dropping and smashing enough, all i did was baseline and a few drops and smashes. Just try to relax, i remember a member once suggested about listening to music that pumps you up.

    Good Luck in your next tournament.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zydoce
    Yesterday I've entered a tournament..
    My first opponent in the schedule is someone in my u's club..
    I thought I could beat him but it happened negatively..
    I was so tensed about the match, so it made me played safe only..
    I haven't smashed at all and all that I've been doing is just drop only..
    My trainer told me not to play so safe after the first match was over, but I couldn't..
    I don't know why but all my shots always went to the net..
    I've become so tensed as I was thinking that I couldn't afford to lose to a person who I could beat him easily..
    Please give me an advice as I'm going to enter another tournament this coming saturday..
    What is the proper tactic to use when in a match?
    just relax for a sec, and think. if you can beat him so easily, then why are you so pressured to play it safe? you should be on the offensive, don't be pressured if you can beat him easily. and even if you are playing against a tough opponent, never give up, play your hardest because if you don't at the end of the day you'll regret it, determination is the first step to winning. i think your just pressuring yourself way too much and giving your opponent the mental advantage so relax and focus on the game, think, how are you losing points? how are you winning points? think about those two questions and fix your mistakes and play to your opponents weaknesses.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    anywhere there are courts
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    if you are nervous or under pressure you should start with shots that you are confident with..ie. for me clear, drop, smash, lift...then once you are into the game and thoes shots are going over the net and you feel good about them try more advanced shots...slice, net spins. if they start to go into the net go back to playing safer.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Proud to be Malaysian
    Posts
    351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for your replies..
    I think I've become so tensed was because the total time that I've entered tournaments were only 2 times, including this coming saturday it'll become 3..
    1st tournament also was like this..
    The guy who beat me up; has nothing special..
    When I looked the way he played, I thought that I could win the match..
    But as soon as I entered the court, I don't know what's happened but I keep doing stupid mistakes over and over again and I was beaten up straight set with too far point left behind..
    My opponents kept smiling when we played ( of course he's smiling for my stupidness )..
    2nd tournament was also like this, I hope this coming tournament won't be the same..
    For the 2nd tournament, even the guy that I used to play single with him went to the final; but he only placed 2nd..
    It doesn't the matter he placed 2nd but the matter is he went to the final..
    He lose when I play with him, but he can go to the final..
    That's why I become so tensed and keep thinking how stupid I am..
    Every match I played in tournament, I'll make stupid mistakes..
    I've been trying to avoid doing stupid mistakes but it keeps happened..
    Even when I played double ( I also played double for the 2nd tourney ), I kept doing mistakes when I'm serving..
    If the shuttle not stuck at the net, then it'll be high; high enough to tap the shuttle..
    In my mind I keep hoping that my partner will have the serve as I'm afraid that I'll keep doing stupid mistakes.. Stupid! stupid! stupid!
    May this coming tourney, the history won't be repeated..
    Good luck to myself ! Urghh !!!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Proud to be Malaysian
    Posts
    351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spinner
    if you are nervous or under pressure you should start with shots that you are confident with..ie. for me clear, drop, smash, lift...then once you are into the game and thoes shots are going over the net and you feel good about them try more advanced shots...slice, net spins. if they start to go into the net go back to playing safer.
    I was so confident with my crosscourt drop, but in the match, it keeps stuck at the net.. That's why I'm so frustrated..

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    anywhere there are courts
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    just remember badminton should be fun so dont put so much pressure on yourself if you do that then the game looses its "funness"

    Good Luck and have fun

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    court
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Badminton is fun, play relax

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    M'SIA
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sometimes I find our opponent are able to beat us not because they are more skillful then us, but they are more relax and stable during the game. They just stay calm.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Proud to be Malaysian
    Posts
    351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I know badminton is fun..
    Everytime I play badminton, I'll keep smiling..
    It's just because of stupid mistakes that makes me so tense..
    Anyway I'll try to make myself more calm for this coming saturday's tourney..

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fifteen luv
    Sometimes I find our opponent are able to beat us not because they are more skillful then us, but they are more relax and stable during the game. They just stay calm.
    exactly the case here, they are just mentally stronger.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zydoce
    I was so confident with my crosscourt drop, but in the match, it keeps stuck at the net.. That's why I'm so frustrated..
    the more frustation the worse, just relax and hit the shot or hit a different shot that has the same or less effectiveness, i'd rather continue a rally then hit a shot that has a high percentage of me screwing it up,
    consistency > risky shots.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Proud to be Malaysian
    Posts
    351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Finally, my stress has decrease and I'd my game more stable..
    But I'm still lost as my opponents are state players..
    Both of them place 1st and 2nd for the tourney..
    Pity me as I'd with the same group with them..
    They made me so tired.. But I'd a great time enjoying the game..
    Wish to improve my skills and enter this coming tourney..

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Metro Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes indeed. Congrats on your progress.

    Make them run around the court.

    I find Lam's advice useful when I'm having a hard time with my usual attacking strokes -- take it easy, try to get time to find the groove, then strike.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Proud to be Malaysian
    Posts
    351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranmira
    Yes indeed. Congrats on your progress.

    Make them run around the court.

    I find Lam's advice useful when I'm having a hard time with my usual attacking strokes -- take it easy, try to get time to find the groove, then strike.
    It's not me that make them running around the court but it's them that make me running around the court..

  16. #16
    Regular Member extremenanopowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SG. Go for NCAP-L2 certified coach.
    Posts
    11,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As you play more and more tournament, you will be a better player. Get some role models and see how they play. emulate them if you can.
    rgds

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Proud to be Malaysian
    Posts
    351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by extremenanopowe
    As you play more and more tournament, you will be a better player. Get some role models and see how they play. emulate them if you can.
    rgds
    I wish so.. But there is only about 5 tournament per year that is organized by my university's badminton club.. Yet have to work more to improve my play..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tactics and Footwork
    By Cookies in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 3
    : 04-27-2009, 08:24 PM
  2. Singles tactics
    By Harry in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 33
    : 12-07-2007, 11:02 PM
  3. Cheaters & Their Tactics
    By Break-My-String in forum General Forum
    Replies: 101
    : 12-16-2006, 07:08 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    : 07-22-2006, 07:56 AM
  5. Tactics for Singles
    By some_one_help in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 9
    : 07-23-2005, 09:23 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •