Tan Aik Huang Article

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by jamesd20, Sep 5, 2006.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Whilst searching for other pictures in this thread:

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?p=428592#post428592

I stumbled across this article:

Wednesday, 19 June, 2002, 13:02 GMT 14:02 UK
    Malaysia's hero of '66
    By Mike Burnett
    BBC Sport Online

Tan Aik Huang may have long since packed away his badminton racquet, but for many Malaysians he is still a national hero.

Few can forget his glorious contribution in the 1966, clinching the prestigious All England title and two gold medals at the Commonwealth Games in Jamaica.

It was badminton's first appearance at the Games and Tan's triumph in both the men's singles and men's doubles events marked a dramatic improvement Malaysia's medal fortunes.

"It was the first time that Malaysia had a very good chance of winning a medal," Tan told BBC Sport Online.

"My memories are for the first time standing on the rostrum, listening to the national anthem and looking at the flag"
    Tan Aik Huang

"At the time, we were the top country in badminton, so it was a good opportunity."

In fact, Tan's medals were Malaysia's only golds in Jamaica and the nation's first golds at the Commonwealth Games for 16 years.

Nearly four decades on, the Malaysian star can still remember the joy of collecting the Games' ultimate prize.

"My memories are for the first time standing on the rostrum, listening to the national anthem and looking at the flag. It was a great moment."

Certainly, many expected Tan to win the men's singles title because of his success in the All England tournament earlier that year.

But the fact that the 56-year-old is the last Malaysian to win the coveted All England title remains a testament to his achievement.

At the Commonwealth Games, Tan carried on where he had left off in England, looking unbeatable in the singles event.

But the retired star said that the scorelines sometimes flattered his performance on court.

"My semi-final match against Dinesh Khanna of India was not easy, even though I ended up winning in straight sets.

"Then I met my own team-mate Yew Cheng Hoe and beat him in straight sets. He was not that easy either."

Tan's success in the doubles was more surprising, as he teamed up with singles opponent Yew for another all-Malaysian final.

"The doubles win was an upset, it was unexpected because we defeated the All England champions Tan Yee Khan and Ng Boon Bee."

Retired and relaxed

Having earnt his place in the history books, the formidable stroke player continued competing at the highest level for another eight years.

"I played at international level until I was 28. The pace is so fast that you can't continue much past that."

Tan returned to the game 13 years later winning several more titles on the veteran circuit, but now enjoys a more peripheral role in badminton as part of the national coaching committee.

Most of his time is divided up into looking after his family in Kuala Lumpur and attending to several businesses on a part time basis.

Although he is more likely to be seen on a golf course than a badminton court, Tan seems to have not lost any of his competitive edge.

Still in great shape, he feels that only younger players than himself can give him a decent game of golf.

"I cannot play against people in their 50s because I'm lucky and my skills are better than theirs."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/commonwealthgames2002/hi/badminton/newsid_1972000/1972663.stm

Here are some more pictures of Tan Aik Huang:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...&va=tan+aik+huang&fr=FP-tab-web-t500&ei=UTF-8

I will Upload them to the Gallery later.

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

good thing hafiz has won it since then, ending the barren run!

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Yes, Tan Aik Huang is still a national hero

Hi jamesd20,

Yes, Tan Aik Huang is still a national hero. He was truely a great Singles player for Malaysia. Back then, the All England title was the only tournament telling us who is World Number 1.

Tan Aik Huang would have been more well known if not because of that World Greatest Player came on the scene some 3 years later... the great Rudy Hartono.

In fact, I was telling/asking Wong Choong Hann at the Commonwealth Games, Melbourne 2006, if he could achieve 2 Gold Medals like what Tan Aik Huang did at Jamaica in 1966. But Choong Hann knew it would be hard for any Malaysian to achieve what Tan Aik Huang had accomplished.

Cheers... chris@ccc

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

but LCW, CCM and KKK all managed to get 2 gold medals this time, didn't they?

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Dreamzz,

Yes they did, but remember that was only 1 individual medal. Hi s was two individual medals (Singles and Doubles). I know we are talking about a different era, but it is still a great achievement.

Also I beleive WCh meant TAH's acheivements on a wider scale throughout badminton, rather than just at Commonwealths.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2 Gold from Individual Events at the Commonwealth Games

Hi Dreamzz,

I (and so was the article writer - Mike Burnett of the BBC) was referring to winning 2 medals from the Individual Events in the Commonwealth Games, not adding in the Gold won from the Team Event.

So far, no Malaysian player has won 2 Gold Medals from the Commonwealth Games' Individual Events (in the same year) since Tan Aik Huang had achieved in Jamaica 1966.

Cheers... chris@ccc

#6 chris-ccc, Sep 7, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    But thinking about it WCH cam eclose in Melbourne (2006) when he reached the final of MS and MD. He lost them both though:mad: