Which one should I get? Yonex Mavis 350 Nylon or Aeroplane G-1130 Feather?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by mtxed, Sep 6, 2006.

1. mtxed

mtxed Regular Member

I'm a beginner - intermediate recreational player (more close to intermediate).

Which shuttlecock should I get?

a) Yonex Mavis 300 Nylon for $14.99+tax (half a dozen) at my local store...

OR

b) Aeroplane G-1130 Goose Feather for $20 flat (one dozen) from an online seller...

For option a) it would cost $2.87/per and b) would cost $1.67/per. Option a) lasts longer because of the superior durability and it's meant for more beginner-type players, but it is also more expensive in terms of price per unit... soooo... what do you think I should get? Do you think it would develop me as a better player if i go with b) so that if I do get into competitive play one day, it would be beneficial?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ideally, feather is the way to go. afterall, that's how proper badminton is played. however, as you have found out, there are other factors too, like cost. if you are a starving college student, then perhaps the better longevity of plastic is preferable.

however, other factors also come into play. what do other ppl in your gym use? do they use feathers? it will be strange to pull out a plastic birdie when everyone else around you prefer feather, and vice versa.

$20 is a bit steep for Aeroplanes, imho.

3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    If you would like to save some money.. then don´t buy any shuttles at all!! If you like to play badminton then buy the goose feather shuttles.. YonexMavis 350 is a sorry excuse for a badminton shuttle..

my 2 cents.
    /Twobeer

4. mtxed

mtxed Regular Member

I think 80%+ of the people in the gym use feather and when I went last time I only saw one person using the neon Mavis Nylon ones...

These are all in Canadian prices, so it's gonna be a lot higher than American prices :D.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    then your choice is clear: feather.

6. spinner

spinner Regular Member

ruler of the free world
    if you are a tournament player then you should play with whatever type of shuttle you are going to be using in the tournament. If you are entering a all feather tournament then it would be pointless to use nylon during practice as the two types of bird are totally diffrent. in conclusion you should have tubes of both feather and nylon.

PS feather is soooo much beter than nylon the difrence is night and day

7. Ranmira

Ranmira Regular Member

EEE Student
    I think given your circumstances, play with feathers.

8. milolo

milolo Regular Member

go for the feather. to play badminton is to enjoy the game, i don think u get much from plastic. as u hv mentioned u r more to a intermediate player, i don think u will ever enjoy playing with plastic shuttlecock.