Does your Racket go bad? Help Please

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Boney, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Boney

Boney Regular Member

teacher
    I am a 45 yr old male back yard player, playing about 3 years, all around newbie but love the sport and trying to learn and move up to next level of competition.

My question is, I see that many here change rackets. I understand that string and grip can get tired after a while but does the actual racket change " get tired" after being used for a while ? I am embarrased to say what I payed for the racket I have but if I am going to eventually get a new one this is important to me.

Thnx for any help/comments

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. we have had member who perform stiffness tests on new and used rackets of the same model. and used rackets are measured to be less stiff than the new ones. it makes sense as the more one uses a racket, it creates micro-fractures in the composite structure of the carbon fiber, thus reducing its stiffness.

but frankly though, if you are a newbie, why worry about such minute changes? the slight difference in racket aging will not make any difference in how you play badminton. if you have fun in the badminton court, that's all that matters.

3. Boney

Boney Regular Member

teacher
    Kwun, thnx for the great info, the "if you are a newbie, why worry about such minute changes?" is a good point that I had not thought of.
    thnx

4. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Another reason people buy new rackets is that they hope to get more power (they usually won't get it because 'new' doesn't translate to 'power' directly. It's very much a hit and miss affair). A further reason is that new and most expensive rackets can impress friends and fellow players. One more reason is that the racket design/colour co-ordinates with the player's clothing. All these reasons are generally short term, and players using these reasons often buy more new rackets than they really need.

#4 CoolDoo6, Sep 7, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  5. morewood

morewood Regular Member

No but it’s a physiological thing sometimes, change the racquet and suddenly your game lifts.

6. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I am still sticking with my Aerotus 110 rackets after trying out numerous of the newer generation rackets. Maybe I am just too stubborn. I would say, find the best one that suits you, get one or two as spares.

At least I am not a sponsored player, I don't get free rackets. I have seen people changing racket every single month, that actually hamper your skill development as you have to adapt to a new racket each time you change it. Definitely not working for me.

7. morewood

morewood Regular Member

I mean by that just for any other racquet in your bag (even if its identical).

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes but isn't it the mental aspect change your game the most?:p

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

even if u r newbie, the best is to ask your club player to try out their so call newer rackets. Since you don't own it, the mental aspect shouldn't influence your evaluation. If you own a steel racket, i think a changeover to a graphite one is benefical and it isn't all hype.

10. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

except for a few members of the forum, notably JR and TL :D , most of us won't even reach the level where such a small difference will really affect our game significantly. so yeah, just get a racquet that suits you, play with it till it breaks and then get another one that suits you when that happens.

or you can be like some of us nutters who just like to collect racquets, no need to mention names, you know who you are! :p

11. Boney

Boney Regular Member

teacher
    Dreamzz, I have been playing for 3 yrs with a racket that cost more then the price of a "Happy Meal" and less than the price of "Large Party Pizza". It has a "M" on the handle and that is about it. From reading here I have learned that Improving my game with technique will advance my play farther than a new racket. I have not been able to determine yet what racket is good for me so for for the next few months I will try to figure that out, then crack open the piggy bank and purchase a real racket with its full name on it not just a letter of the alphabet.
    Thnx all for the great help.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

get a good string job first before u venture out on a new racket

13. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Then where is the logic in getting a new racket if you believe technique is what matters. The M on you racket is a W and it stands for wilson.

14. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

pure class! :D :D