Help with a shot style please.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Boney, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Boney

Boney Regular Member

teacher
    I am a 45 yr old male, back yard player, trying to improve.

When playing doubles there is a shot that is very much my weak point and I am looking for help as to how I should return this type of shot.

Playing doubles and I am in the right { right handed player} box recieving a serve. I am standing in the box just a little forward {about 1ft} of the center of the box. The serve comes over not a high arching serve but not a line drive either. It is going to the back left corner of my box {behind my left shoulder} If I do not hit it, it will land very close to the back left corner of my box. When I turn to hit it with my back hand {I have to turn my body a lot to hit it with my back hand because the birdy is moving along} the player on the other team is just waiting and drooling for my poor defensing shot to come slowly over the net so he can smash it back at me or dink it at the net. I loose this point 90 percent of the time.
    Please make any suggestions as to what I can do to improve this shot.
    Thank you in advance.

2. evolution-Fung

evolution-Fung Regular Member

Clothing
    if u know ur oppoinent is serving to u like that alot then play a backhand defense, hold racket head up and more towards ur left shoulder if he hits it rite over ur left shoulder u can just put the racket up, if it is high serve to the same spot u can just do over the head drop/clear/smash.

3. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    What you need is a solid round-the-head forehand, and make your opponent eat his serve. From that point on, he would (i) never try such a serve again; or (ii) never be able to trouble you with such a serve again.

4. Boney

Boney Regular Member

teacher
    Great advice

Thank you both for the advice, I will try the round the head forehand.
    Thnx