User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default playing different level opponents

do u guys ever notice that when u play against people who are better then u u play ur best?, when u play against people who are of lesser level then u, u stoop down to their level? i always do this i dont know why

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That used to happen to me.

Then I started playing more against weaker players, and consciously polish my shots (production and placement) in these games. Now my shots are consistent whether I play stronger or weaker players.

If I had played exclusively against stronger players, I would not have the luxury of polishing my shots to make them consistent, because most of the time I would be reacting to shots rather than to execute a refined stroke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One possible reason is if you are much better than your opponent, the rally will be short/easy if you play to win, which is less fun for both. I also find myself not going all out b/c I can win w/o exerting myself. Mental slack, I guess.

One way to keep the rally going is to reduce or do w/o power shots (smash or drive). Refine your shot (tighter net shot and drop than normal, clear to tramline/baseline) is another way to deal with this.

Another way is to work on your weakness. I'm weak in smash return, so I'll play to lead a few points, than give the opponent chance to smash, etc.

I sometimes play 1 on 2 if they are weak, or half-court singles w/o me smashing to make it more challenging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evolution-Fung
    do u guys ever notice that when u play against people who are better then u u play ur best?, when u play against people who are of lesser level then u, u stoop down to their level? i always do this i dont know why
    true. since u know u can win, u just don't put any effort to it. higher level player ussually can be enticed with generous donation of feathers during the game . feather suckers!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yah but once u know u already can win its like ur level of play has dropped increasingly and ur slacking on alll of ur shots when they dont make over the net or hit the net tape, THEn u just get frustrated and loose hahahaha never happened to me before but when i play against same level people and i start making bad shots i get frustrated and i miss the birds someimtes or hit it way out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i usually play more placement and less power against weaker opponents

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play a range of opponents, from county level down to beginners and yep you will adjust your game against the beginners, for example I will play left handed (normally right handed so it feels weird) against obviously weaker opponents it makes the game more interesting for them, because lets be honest loosing 21-0 three times in a row is not how you encourage a beginner.