Legs positioning when smashin

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by becoolboy, Sep 9, 2006.

1. becoolboy

becoolboy Regular Member

today, coach of mine told me tat a right hander should start off wif left foot front and rigth foot back before contactin the shuttle. yup, those make sense. but wat she told me later was a shocking finding, she said tat i should throw my weight into my right foot and step in upon contact. in other words, i should end up wif right foot front and left foot back instead. n it feels funny... any advice? mind u tat its only for smashing.

2. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    smah = scissor kick.
    start with your left foot infront then when your about to hit the birdie push FORWARD with your right foot while your left foot goes back so you do a scissor kick motion. You should be about in midair when you contact the birdie. This puts all of your wieght forward in order to return the smash return which is very likely not a baseline lift.
    your coach know what hes doing, it's supposed to be that way. Watch the hong kong open ms finals w/ lin dan smashing every secound shot and you'll see.
    jump smashes are different, both feet go up in the air for extra angle, but if returned its hard to get footwork going so only do it as an absolute win shot unless you've got pro footwork/recovery.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Actually, this basic footwork should be used for most forehand overheads. You land with your left foot behind just before your right foot lands in front.

4. becoolboy

becoolboy Regular Member

ah they all make sense now. key word scissor kick. i thought she meant step in. so its actually exchanging of legs in midair.

just another question, after contacting, left wil land be4 right does, right? so its like squating haf way down wif ur left foot.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, and the left foot will be turned outwards somewhat.

6. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    glad i could help :)

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

erm my coach told me a light variation. to be done when you're behind the shuttle are goign to smash (and have all the time in the world, optionally)
    you dó make that scissors kick, but your left leg shouldn't move back at all. your left foot stays put. this helps leverage and you're quicker to the net.

though a scissorskick smash is very common and technically correct the mentioned above is more effective when you have enough time. also good for the more ground-bound smashers

8. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i think the weight is transferred FROM YOUR RIGHT FOOT TO YOUR LEFT FOOT. the reason why your right foot ends up in front is because it naturally steps ahead to balance your body which has been pushed forward by the smash.

9. huynd

huynd Regular Member

I prefer to describe it as a weight shifting from left to right in the preparation phase. During the last swing there would be no more weight transfer. You actually land with left foot but your weight is on your right and in front. That is why after a good smash you are ready to push forward to the net.

10. Monster

Monster Regular Member

i land with my right foot on the ground after the scissor kick...hmm...feels like the wt transfer gives more weight to my right foot and lands naturally earlier.

11. becoolboy

becoolboy Regular Member

r u a left hander o right hander? if u r right u should land wif ur left, theoritically speaking

12. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    Assuming your right handed and u do the weight transfer and sissor kick..
    normally your center of mass should have move from right leg to left leg instead. so theoritically u should land on your left foot.. which make it easier to prepare for the next shot as it is more natural to start forward movment with your left leg pushing and your racket leg in front

13. Monster

Monster Regular Member

oops! after trying it out again, you are right. i naturally have my left foot landing on the ground first. i am right handed