Stance Depends?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Crazypeetee246, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Crazypeetee246

Crazypeetee246 Regular Member

I was just wondering if the stance of receiving a serve changes based on how you play. I noticed that people who are right handed have their left food forward. However, when I play I like to have my right foot forward. I feel like I can back up farther and faster and also, my backhand side feels less vulnerable. I don't know if you guys feel the same way, but when I stand with my left foot forward, I feel like my arm movement for a backhand swing is restricted and I have to shift my shoulders. I also think its easier to lunge forward with ur left foot in the situation of a high serve. I saw a Kenneth Jonassen video, where I noticed he stood with his left foot forward.

Any insights? :confused:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  3. Crazypeetee246

Crazypeetee246 Regular Member

I read that thread, it addresses the ways to respond when ur foot stance is left foot forward. What I'm trying to ask is if its alright, or should I say...acceptable/effective to place my right foot forward.

4. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    short answer: yes, to each his own
    you're better off asking your/a coach though

5. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

It is acceptable but not effective. Firstly, when you are receiving a serve, you do not want to be playing a backhand shot if your opponent lifts it. There should be no occassion where you cannot reach for a serve with an around the head and smash it down when it is lifted to you. If there is, then you probably lack experience or physical ability or both :p

Secondly, it is not faster for you to move back if your right leg is forward because you need to rotate your body first before you can begin jumping backwards. Jumping backwards is the fastest way to reach the back if you do not have the time. Sometimes the jump will be a two part jump where the first is a medium length jump followed by a high jump to the back to reach the shuttle.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This is not a matter for personal style. If your racket foot is in front, then your stance is wrong. No professional player will ever stand like this to receive service.

When receiving a good flick serve, you need to do a block jump. You must, therefore, have your racket side already backwards.