Most common return of serve in singles.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tony Roddis, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Tony Roddis

Tony Roddis Regular Member

Hello i have a question.In singles after being served to is there a basic reply that is more common than others to start the rally off! e,g to the backhand corner etc. this question is based on your opponent starting with a serve of good quality ,high and to the rear central area of the court !I will be interested to hear your views thanks! T R.:confused: :D

2. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    I guess the first thing to say is that the high serve is not the norm in singles, or at least in mens singles. I think, and this is based om games I've watched rather than any theory, if you do receive a high serve the standard response would be a smash or drop-shot I would imagine. A high return gives your opponent the option of smashing it back at you

3. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I always serve high to save me trouble if my opponent decides to surprise drop me when I anticipate a clear or vice versa. Serving high while standing in the mid court allows me to be more ready for any shots. If you serve high and far enough, it is not easy for the opponent to smash too unless he is a very good jump smasher.

4. mandm

mandm Regular Member

i deploy same technique at my club not sure it would work if i were to play at competition level.. :rolleyes:

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A very interesting exercise would be to count which shots are played off certain serves by each player.

Han Jian vs Liem Swee King 1982. Han anticipated Liem's return of serve netshot to win a crucial Thomas Cup rubber.

Hendrawan vs Peter Gade 2001. In a world Championships final, Peter Gade served and lost serve when Hendrawan rushed into the net to drive the shuttle down for a winner. On Peter's next low serve, Hendrawan did the same preparation action but just blocked at the net. Peter was already anticipating the drive back, got caught with his weight going backwards and couldn't reach the shuttle. Very smart play by Hendrawan.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

depends on a lot of things. but mostly peopel tend to play their favorite shot (what they think is best/ a winner) because they get enough time.

for me, I'm jumping if I have enough time. then decide to do a smash/sticksmash/ fast veyr angled drop. the drop works best actually...

Though at a lower level (few years back for me)the best thing to do was clear back, to avoid being pinned at the back..

so it requires anticipationa nd insight to see/think wich shot there is to be played;)

7. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Mens singles when receiving a long serve (assuming its too long to smash) I would normally clear to the back line, however if my opponent is expecting that (and leaving a large gap near the net) a quick drop shot can be very effective.

8. Monster

Monster Regular Member

what exactly is a sticky smash? whipping the bird with it contacting your racket for longer than normal before it leaves for the opponent's ground? Like slinging/centrifuging a discus before it takes off ?

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The term "stick smash" was coined in Denmark. A stick smash is a smash executed with a shortened, forearm-only swing and a rebound hitting action, typically taking the shuttle from behind your body.

Here is a typical use of the stick smash:

You are playing singles. Your opponent hits a shallow attacking lift from your backhand net corner to your forehand rear corner. You intercept it with a block jump and hit a stick smash straight down the line. You are hitting the shuttle when it is behind your body. The smash is not very powerful, but it is steep and accurate, and it finishes the rally.

The shot is a bit of a gamble, because often you will be in trouble if the opponent returns it. But if you do it well, at the right time, then the opponent will not return it :)