slicing - someone set me straight plz :D

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by macca, Sep 12, 2006.

1. macca

macca Regular Member

can anyone clarify the legalities of slicing the shuttle for me please?

The reason i ask, is simply because ive never really seen anyone do it at my club, and isnt it hitting the shuttle more than once if your racket hits the cork as well as raking down the feathers?

(I may have my terms jumbled up, i mean like, if you are cleared to, and you "smash" the shuttle, but with a slightly tilted raquet so that the shot comes off as more of a slow drop shot)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hi, if you want to know if it is legal. yes, of course, as long as the shuttle is hit by the racket in one continuous stroke, and it passes the net and it lands in, it is legal.

3. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Hitting the feathers on a serve is I believe frowned upon, but in normal play you can get an advantage (especially at the net) by using a sliced shot.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The Laws permit you to hit the feathers on service, but you must first hit the base (cork).

You may hit the cork only, or you may hit the cork and immediately afterwards hit the feathers. This is common in sliced wide low serves.

You may not hit the feathers only, nor may you hit the feathers and cork together. This law was introduced to ban the deadly S-serve, which spun the shuttle chaotically.

5. morewood

morewood Regular Member

There speaks a man who has read the rule book…….

My understanding stems from what usually happens in a league game should there be an umpire, at least 50% of the time if you strike the feathers sufficiently to make the shuttle tumble the umpire calls a foul serve.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, this is likely. Many serves that cause the shuttle to tumble are foul serves.

Note, however, that it is possible to make the shuttle tumble using a slice from left to right, which very obviously never touches the feathers. This is not a good serve, however, because it tends to pop up and flick serves are difficult.

By the way, please don't use the text formatting options in these forums just to choose a font that you like. The default font (and size, and weight) is there for a reason. Font effects may be used (sparingly) for emphasis.

7. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Sorry will have to stop cut and pasting then.

8. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

This is no longer (since May 2006) quite true, for two reasons.

Firstly, accidental double hits are now illegal (even if one continuous stroke) unless the shuttle hits both the racquet head and the strings in that stroke.

The relevant law is:

"It is a fault if ...

13.3.8 is hit twice in succession by the same player. However, a shuttle hitting the head and the stringed area of the racket in one stroke shall not be a ‘fault’; "

The purpose of this seems merely to avoid argument over whether a frame shot (which is perfectly legal) is a double hit (which many are).

This does not outlaw a slice, however, because a slice does not depend on a double hit.

Secondly the shuttle must now pass over the net, and not merely pass the net. This is because of this law:

"It shall be a 'fault' ... if in play, the shuttle ...

13.3.3 fails to pass over the net; "

I guess they changed this to get around the silly situation we have discussed previously where a player may be able to hit a shuttle around the net but lower than the net cord.

9. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    do we actually hit the feathers while slicing? i don't think i do. or maybe i did it without realising?

10. morewood

morewood Regular Member

You probably do, I know when I slice I get the feathers quite a lot.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I don't understand :confused: From what are you copying?

Yes, if you want the most extreme slices. For less dramatic slices, you can just slap the cork with an angled racket face; but for vicious, swerving dropshots, you need to brush around the cork and feathers together.

12. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Microsoft Word, its stange that it keeps the formating I know......

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

So you actually type your posts, even the very short ones, in Microsoft Word first, before copying them into the edit box? :eek:

Why not just type them into the edit box?

Perhaps this explains why quite a few posters use Times New Roman. I thought they were messing with the fonts, but maybe they are typing in a word processor!

If you are worried about losing a long post, then you can copy-paste it into Notepad or a similar text editor (note that text editors are not the same as word processors). I do this quite often; but make sure "Word wrap" is off, otherwise you can get lots of added line breaks :rolleyes:

14. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Probably does explain it. Its force of habit I'm afraid, using this and other forums I have always just cut and pasted replies, normally (on other forums) formating isnt carried across though.

15. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

I don't understand, what's wrong with using Times New Roman?

16. morewood

morewood Regular Member

I tried that last night, (in the kitchen), I think with a bit of practice time in front of the net I may have a very deceptive backhand serve where I can send a spinner to the front or crash a long serve to the backhand court. Early days yet but it wont half confuse people if I start alternating serving backhand and forehand.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If you're interested in experimenting with sliced serves and spinning serves, you may like this thread:
    http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35944

18. macca

macca Regular Member

thankyou very much to everyone that has replied to this thread :)

you have been most helpful :)

19. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Well I had a practice this week before other members turned up and I was hitting 3 corners consistently. So I gave it a bit of a go in the first couple of games, the idea being that if I mixed up my serve then its far more dificult to read. First game was a white wash as each "new" serve was either left or miss read so I had a hefty advantage before dealing with any returns. The second game was a bit closer, but I still forced some fairly poor returns of serve from my opponents, its definatley something to take further.:)

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    It's hard on the eyes with the fonts being so compressed. Best to keep to default fonts.