Help with sliced drop shots please

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by tubby, Sep 12, 2006.

1. tubby

tubby Regular Member

I am coming back to badminton after a long time away from the game.

My last racquet was very heavy and i was able to do a slice drop shot (inside and outside) very easliy. All i needed to do was to get the head of the racquet moving through the shuttle at a slow spead and the weight of the racquet head would give enough power to the drop to take it over the net.

Now coming back the game i have bought a decent racquet (Armourtech 800 offensive) which i beleive has helped my game in all areas from the standard i was at before. My clears go quite easily from one end of the court to the other and I love my smash! Net play is also pretty good. However i am struggling with my drop shots. Sometimes i will hit one exactly right and it will drop inside the service line having only just cleared the net, but more often they are landing well beyond the service line and often they are far too high! It seems my margin for error with this shot is very small.

I would like to point out that i am not blaming my racquet for my bad dropshots! I know it is my technique.

I do need help with suggestions for different tips or techniques for this shot to help me get back to the consistency i used to enjoy.

The club i have joined isnt a big fan of someone using the court to practise either so prolonged experimentation with the new racquet is hard to acheive!

2. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    isn't that where raw talent comes into play..
    jking.. well without proper chance to do drills and practise.. it'd be hard
    to focus on one particular shots, i guess instead of warming up with clear before a game, u let your partner know and warm up with drops shots. just give yourself enough time to prepare the shot till u get the consistency
    back

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

just some stabs in the dark

-try to hit the shuttle higher, giving it a sharper trajectory (faster)
    -start of with less slicing, just hit it normally and get consistent, then start mixing in slices
    -keep away from high speed killer slices. There're soem player at my club that hit at 80% smash speed against the shuttle and slice it very heavily. this gives the shuttle a weird spin but is harder to control. stay away form strokes liek that till you get more consistent/confident/familiar with your new weapon:p