Make profit in stringing racquets ? not sure ...

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by Chilefeu, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Chilefeu

Chilefeu Regular Member

Student / Trainee
    Hi all,

Well i'm just back from my club, And for the first new season's day I already have 2 racquets to string ...
    This year, i'm supposed to be the official stringer of my club, but it's harder than that.

You know, 1 own shop in my town can string racquets. Since there is only 1 club (mine:)) I just wonder if I could string racquets for my club, and in the same time, earn money.

Yet, The shop where we used to string at will probably see there are less and less peoples who will come. I mean, I will string every racquets for my players whereas i have no licence to string, that is to say i'm gonna work and earn money from stringing.
    One day or another, they will know I string almost every racquets for my town (I'd say 90 % of them) and they could complain and force me to come to a kind of "trial" since my activity seems not to be legal :cool:

That's why, I would like to have your opinion about what I could do, to avoid these kind of problem :rolleyes:
    I'm not to sure however ... It's just my friend who warned me about this problem, I doubt it could happen but ... Hey, what do you think ???? :confused:

Thanks a lot for your help and answer
    Simon - :)

2. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I don't think they can take you to trial.. You just need to make sure you file this in your income taxes - although it is all in cash ;)....

Business is business...there is nothing underhanded in what you're doing. If you're providing better service then it's not your fault. In North America, you don't need to be a licensed stringer to string rackets (right? fellas?). It's a "nice to have" certificate which is mostly a requirement for professional stringers.

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i'm sure it won't come down to that, i mean, it's not like you're cornering the market (hmmm, maybe you are! :D ) but it's not like you're going to be a millionaire and it's something illegal.

i wouldn't even think about suing my stringer, i mean if i'm not happy with his service or prices, then i'll just go somewhere else and have it done.

besides, most of these people are your friends or have been recommended by your friends right?

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i heard union is pretty big in france so they might go after u because they can. Best is to check your business tax rule. Also u should get a home business license but this mean u have to pay taxes. Tax penalty can wipe out any profit u gain for years.

5. Chilefeu

Chilefeu Regular Member

Student / Trainee
    Hi all,

Thx for your help and answer,
    I will check somewhere in my town a place to have a kind of "home business license" like cooler said.

I'll let you know what they recommend to me and my what are my possibilities ...

Cheers - :)

6. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Yeah Chilefeu, watch out for those stringer unions, I hear they can be worse than the teamsters!

Seriously though, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The only real concern will be undeclared income tax, but depending on your circumstances, you may not earn enough to reach any exemption thresholds. Plus, I'm sure lots of people earn money 'cash in hand' without declaring it. The tax authorities don't have the time to chase everyone who makes a little on the side. It would be different if you were planning to make stringing your full time job, but that doesn't sound like it, especially with only one club in your area.

Good luck, let us know how it goes :)