How To Train For Deadly Shots? (singles)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Darma Sucipto, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

as above.. i already have all the movements and all the simple shots in singles. But the problem is most of my shots's like fast drop, cross net etc all are bad quality shot's. so how should i train if i wan to get all the deadly shots? thanks;)

2. evolution-Fung

evolution-Fung Regular Member

Clothing
    u just practise the same shot and mess around wiht it to get it correct.

3. kaitamasaki

kaitamasaki Regular Member

practise more and play more - learn when to use the appropriate "trick/deadly" shots to maximize its potential effects of deception or strategical tactics

eg dont do a cross court net when u see the opponent at the net ready to pounce on you

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I believe there are two main issues here: consistency, and basic/advanced techniques.

To become consistent with any shot you need practice. Make sure you are not practising with bad technique (consult a coach, perhaps).

But for many shots, there is more than one technique. Often there is a beginner's technique, and more advanced techniques. If you want really deadly shots, you will have to learn the more advanced techniques, which are usually harder.

For example, let's suppose you want to play a crosscourt dropshot in singles, from your forehand rear corner. Here are three techniques:

1. Angle your body crosscourt and play a simple dropshot;
    2. Play a sliced dropshot by hitting the shuttle with an angled racket face;
    3. Play a sliced dropshot by brushing around the outside of the shuttle, in an arcing motion, to slice the feathers and cork together.
    The first technique works fine, but it is not deceptive. The second technique is deceptive, and the trajectory is slightly improved because the slice adds some spin. In the third technique, the slice has much more spin so the trajectory is excellent -- the shuttle will follow a curved path, reach the net faster and "die" more at the end (dip more sharply as it passes the net).

For most players, it will be necessary to learn and practise each technique at least a little before moving on to the next technique.

So:

First, if you want deadly shots you must be consistent with whatever technique you use;

Second, if you want deadly shots you should try to learn the more advanced techniques when you feel ready. Remember, there is almost always a period where your shot quality decreases when you learn a new technique.