quick question

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by drifterXL, Sep 13, 2006.

1. drifterXL

drifterXL Regular Member

hello everyone. i joined this forum just a while back, since i started playing badminton again.

i have a cab 8200 light, and i want to get it restrung. a few months ago, i just blindly chose a BG70 Pro and had it strung at 18lbs. well the place/person that did it did an insanely horrible job. i will never go there again :( i will post pictures of it tomorrow, and you will know what i mean.

my dad is experienced with badminton, since hes been playing it forever. he says the way he can move the strings with his fingers, means they did not string at the right tension. it is very easy to just slide the strings and stuff, compared to our super old (like 6 yrs old) Iso 60, which was strung like 4 yrs ago at like, 14 lbs, its harder to move the string on that racket than it is on mine.

so when i first tried it out, it was pretty weak. now, i have weak arms. im not even gonna pretend i dont. when i tried it out, it was amazingly weak. i know i dont have the best technique, but im not full on beginner either. i used to learn from some professional that was really good.. like when i was in gr 6 or 7. learned for about a year or two, and i had developed some good technique and all. at that time, i was using the iso 60 with the stock string. then i stopped, since the teacher changed and apparently he wasnt very good. and only now i started again. so of course i am amazingly rusty.

i noticed i swing too early, and most of my shots are at the top part of my racket, above my sweetspot. but even when i put more strength into my shots, they wouldnt go very far. im standing at a bit past half on my side of the court, and my shot goes half way only. other than that its pretty much like any string. i am by no means a pro, so i wouldnt notice slight differences etc. i can still do regular shots fine.. too lazy to name them.

so in my present condition, what string would u guys suggest? i am well rounded, prefer some help on power since my arms arent the strongest. but, the highest tension i will string is 20 lbs. i have no idea what my tension is right now, but it definitely isnt 18 lbs. i have been reading reviews over and over again of the different strings. this forum is incredibly helpful.. but i cannot find what i am looking for. from what i have found, i am most likely going to use BG70 Pro again. unless someone can suggest some other string? remember max is 20lbs, so i dont think i could use high end ones like BG 80 or 85.

i appologize for the incredibly lengthy post, but felt those details were necessary.

2. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    DrifterXL, welcome to the forum.

IMO, choice of string is a very subjective. I know of people who live and die by a particular model, whilst other dislike it. There is, I'm afarid, no definite answer to your question. The best way is for you to gradually find something that you are comfortable with.

You must have come across this string chart, which although not absolute, could give you some reference points.

http://www.yonex.co.jp/badminton/feature/mp/style.html

The top of the Y axis is "Offensive", bottom is "Control". Left of the X axis is "Durability", right is "Repulsiveness".

From your post, it seems the issue at hand is the tension, not so much of the string type. So you might be right to try the same string model with higher tension (oh, and a different stringer ;) ). Once you find the right tention, then you can move on with different string model. If you are starting off with BG70, you can then use the chart as a reference to move up or down, or left and right.

Also, if you father is an experienced player, why not also seek his opinion? Furthermore your choice may also be limited with the models available in your local market.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

What is your reason for limiting the tension to a maximum of 20 lbs?

4. drifterXL

drifterXL Regular Member

ty for welcome!

the models i have available are anything really. but as i said before, i am not going to get a BG 80 or 85 since i will only string at 20 lbs max. to Gollum, the reason for 20 lbs is because that is the max string tension for a Cab 8200. i found an old thread here talking about tension on the 8200, and ppl said its kind of a fragile racket so yea. besides, like i said i am still somewhat of a beginner.. i dont need/want super high tension.

ty for chart, yes i have seen it before. from what i can see, i am probably going with the BG70 Pro again, or the BG65 Ti. and i forgot to ask, so now that the ideal string is mind, what tension? i dont know what 18lbs feel like, because the tension wasnt right. but as stated before, i want some ease of power due to my weak arms.

here are the pictures as i promised from before...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

note the size of the squares on the side, and the final main string at the very bottom.

#4 drifterXL, Sep 14, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Well, string choice is very much down to personal preference. I like Yonex BG-80, but that's just me :)

Given that you will be stringing at a low tension, you can safely choose as thin a string as you like (or not, if you prefer).

I'd strongly recommend that you string at your maximum, 20 lbs. In my view, anything below this is too low even for beginners.

6. drifterXL

drifterXL Regular Member

hmm i see. thank you very much for the replies.. it looks like i will be going with the BG70 Pro strung at 20lbs. i'll update once i get a chance to play (which is this saturday).

btw post above i meant final CROSS string not main

7. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I saw Gollum has replied. But just to share my personal preference is BG80 too and I used to string my rackets to 24lbs.

I would also suggest you try out 20lbs, which is a good starting point for beginner.

Actually if you have a chance to try different string type, you will find that at general player level, the differences are subtle. But on the other hand, you will find the differences in the tension - in terms of the effort you need to clear the shuttle and the responsiveness of the racket to where you want to shuttle to go.

Since you are moving from a sub-18lbs to a 20lbs, I would also suggest you be patience and give yourself enough time to get use to the new tension. Enjoy your game! :)

8. drifterXL

drifterXL Regular Member

ty :) just dropped it off to get it restrung, wont get it back until sunday though. oh well.. i'll just have to use our super old school stainless steel yonex LOL. and i nearly got tempted into a last minute decision to get the BG65 Ti. reading the back of the package, it had more repulsion. but i stuck with getting the BG70 Pro.. must stick to plan :p

thanks again everyone for the helpful advice!

9. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    just a quick note, if you choose BG-85, becarefull of it breaking very easily. My BG-85 string broke after 3 days and only 2 1.5hr badminton practices.. though both where intense mock tournament practices

10. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Looks like a nice 1 piece string job to me. New strings are supposed to move around easily. This is especially true for low tension. If you don't get power, it could be the tension is too high, or too low. Also strings take a session or 2 to settle down. Some strings sux at power for people with undeveloped muscle/technique. Bg68ti comes to mind immediately, Bg70pro can also be a candidate. Given the pro suffix, and assuming that wasn't a marketing ploy, perhaps you should try that string again when you have the muscles/technique of a pro. When equipment is designed with the profile a pro in mind, if you don't have that profile, you are unlikely to make best use of the equipment. As for getting power, I can offer nothing but a big grin :).