coaching/private lessons

Discussion in 'Lee's Badminton Training Centre' started by ahlun, Sep 13, 2006.

1. ahlun

ahlun New Member

How much do private lessons cost? I'm going to Lee's for group lessons this fall and that's fine for now (because honestly my basics are rusty) but I'm just wondering how much private lessons would be..and how would you go about hookin up with a coach? (ie are there some that are better for the kind of player you wana be/the extent of competitiveness u wana get to.

2. asphyxiate

asphyxiate Regular Member

Private lessons are I think around $60 (or is it $40?) but the real catch is that you must be a member to sign up for private lessons (Lucky for you if you already are). I think if you do go there and express an interest in getting private lessons then they'll just find you a coach who doesn't have a full schedule. And I don't think any of the coaches cater to a specific type of athlete, they all have a hand in managing the team, if making the team is one of your goals. They'll basically just work with you on your weak points.. good luck with that :), and the money side of things :p .

3. ahlun

ahlun New Member

just realized i posted this in the mandarin's thread..my badd, shoulda been in the lee's..but iguess it's an issue thats open to wherever coaches are =P

thanks for the reply! i really don't know where i stand at this point..going to see how far i can get without having to splurge on a coach. (school's emptying my pockets as it is =/ )

in your experience, is the difference in a player who's been coached privately and say, just someone who's been playing at a competitive-but-not 'formally coached' level thaT significant? at what point would it be worthy to look for a coach?

4. asphyxiate

asphyxiate Regular Member

:p Haha, well, either way I guess, it doesn't matter since both Lee's and Mandarin have top players and top coaches in OBA. Also I think both clubs require membership to get private lessons, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, I'm guessing that you're in university, so I'll just say that I think every single top junior player definitely has invested in private lessons. I can't really speak much for say, the U23 or older category since I'm not familiar with any players above U19, however I would assume that they're people who have gone through private lessons and training at least in their younger years. If you're looking to compete hardcore and join OBA, I would highly recommend private lessons, because you'll be losing badly if you don't :eek:, though I'm not sure what level you stand at, if you've never had private lessons before and would like to compete-compete, then yes, get lessons. If its just for recreational.. I think group lessons at Lee's would be sufficient providing that you're not utter crap right now :p. In the end, I think it just all depends on how hard you push yourself. Hope this helps :).

5. mathdude1284

mathdude1284 New Member

Private lessons prices vary by coaches ($40-$60). They accept players of all levels. You have to ask them to coach you. You do not have to be a full time member to have private lessons...daytime will do. Trust me, private lessons are the way to go.

6. ksrboi

ksrboi Regular Member

Lawyer
    I think in most cases that you must get lessons in order to improve and to succeed. My situation is a little different. Since I'm not the richest person I trained myself with my own training and not ever paying for a single lesson. This is my 3rd year playing and I'm 19 now and I'm a B level player. I just got lucky in this last year and drastically improved by playing high A level players. I now play vs 1997 mens doubles canadian champ and other high level coaches. I get TIPS but no training from them so I think being determined is also a good thing. But you must be VERY determined in order to succeed without any change in your pocket. But try hard and love badminton!

#6 ksrboi, Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  7. bigharry

bigharry Regular Member

Who is th 1997 Canadian mens doubles champ?? and who else are you talking about when you say high level coaches??

8. ksrboi

ksrboi Regular Member

Lawyer
    Harrison choy and other people like effendi wijaya and alfred from a.j bujack ~~

9. kkkk1997

kkkk1997 New Member

Student
    I am looking for badminton group lessons on weekday before 12noon or after 6pm around Cupertino, mountain view, Sunnyvale or Santa Clara area. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

10. bigharry

bigharry Regular Member

None of those guys are a Canadian Champion or even close for that matter..

11. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    A common pitfall of people is to think that good players = good coaches. In reality, that is not the case. Someone who is naturally good, is not definitely a good coach. A good coach, is not necessarily the best player. So keep that in mind when looking for a coach. Switch around, and see for yourself who is best.