Badminton Team Tryouts

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Wonger8, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Wonger8

Wonger8 Regular Member

Hey everyone, i am proud to say that i am a part of my school's badminton team, some of you may remember me saying that it was my goal during this summer. However there is one problem. A racket problem. For you see, the way you made the team was through a round robin, in the first two matches, i used my Ti-10 new version, and for some reason against the plastic shuttles i felt like i had no power compared to feather shuttles. i lost the first two matches 11-2, 11-2. I got really annoyed so i resorted to using my heavy $20 racket bought at canadian tire years ago. The results against the plastic shuttle was amazing. The strings were the factory strings too. My smashes and clears were harder too. As a result i won my last two games triumphantly 11-1,11-2. and i was told that i had made the team. Now for the PROBLEM. How did my Ti-10 lose in comparison with my 20 dollar racket. It makes no sense. Is there a great deal of difference between plastic and feather shuttle? Anywho, i hope to hear from your replies

2. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

string tensions can be a factor, if the tensions on the ti-10 are too high for you, you'll get awesome control but no power. Flexibility of the shaft is another factor, the cheap racquet might've fit your wrist strength so you can flex the shaft in your swing creating more power. generally high end racquets are much harder to use then low end ones, even if you have a pro racquet you might not be able to play like a pro with it.

3. Wonger8

Wonger8 Regular Member

Does anybody have a suggestion for string tension and string type for me? As of right now, i'm using BG 80 and its strung at 23 pounds. Thnx

4. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

what are you looking for in a string? control and power? durability? and is the current tension very high? is it like playing with a "wall", as in you swing hard but the shuttle doesn't bounce off the string bed with as much repulsion, or do you make a "pok" sound.

5. Wonger8

Wonger8 Regular Member

By far, i just want a string that allows me to have tons of power, especially against plastic shuttles (man i hate how juniors arent allowed to play using feather shuttles) also, i'm not sure if the tension is too high

6. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    Actually I'd think the tension is fine. How long have you played with Plastic shuttles using a Ti 10? If it's not long, give it a try and play with it for a week or two. It could be you're not used to the timing or the feel of plastic shuttles. Feather shuttles have a stronger impact feel than plastic shuttles, so it would be obvious it feels off.