how do you train the reflex on taking fast shots?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Antiiies, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Antiiies

Antiiies Regular Member

student / badminton player
    hi!

i would like to ask you guy's how you train the reflex on taking fast shots?
    and leave an good return, hard for the oponent to do something good whith?

Thanks!:)

2. Antiiies

Antiiies Regular Member

Nobody understands my thread:/

3. Casper

Casper Regular Member

Student
    Not that ppl don't understand your thread, but your question is really general and it all depends on the situation too (in single it might be a good shot, but it doesn't mean in double it's a good shot). I think you have to be a bit more specific in a way that ppl can response. Plus, are you asking for how to increase or to train your reflex quicker or just react and make a good returns? Also, give some time for ppl to response, it's only been couple of hours. ^_^ Hope that will help you get your response!

4. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    play the wall in a tight space like your living room. Works for me :)

5. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    numerous amounts of defensive and offensive driving will increase your reaction time

6. kabalen

kabalen Regular Member

agreed with casper...too general...

but in general, in order to speed your reaction time, doing shuttle drills will probably help you. like your coach feeding you shuttles where he can speed up the feed or decrease depending on your reaction time. another is to have two shuttles in the air doing either driving or clearing drills with a partner. another is to do 2 vs 1, where they contantly attact you so it will increase your reaction time. an example of that is driving in the same direction 2x and on the 3rd you switch direction. there are of course many more, depending on what you concentrate on, doubles or singles play. but in general, what i just stated will usually help you get better reaction time if you practice. hope that helps.

cheers

7. BuntaMarui

BuntaMarui Regular Member

Student
    Wow :eek:
    Job well done for doing such a nice overview on how to train reactions :D 1 to 1 "pushing" also improves reaction and ur arm's reflex:)

8. kevyeoh

kevyeoh Regular Member

for me...
    hitting against the wall is the best...
    just hit the wall as fast as you can and try to return the shot which bounces back...and return it hard....and continue till u can't retrive the shots...

p/s: side question, i notice the people in this forum uses the word 'clear' as a term for a shot in badminton, is it the same as 'lob' ?

9. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    a clear is overhand, a lob is underhand, a lift is underhand from the front of the net.
    I think...

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

"Lift" is the more standard term, and applies to an underhand high shot from any part of the court; "lob" is inherited from tennis.

11. evolution-Fung

evolution-Fung Regular Member

Clothing
    some shots nomatter how good ur reflex is its hard to return like body shots if u are right handed and they shoot it at ur right hip or shoulder those are hard move to return, very unnatural movements if they smash away from u its easy to return actually reflex wise but mayb it is not as easy to return as it takes more stamina.

12. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    basicaly, if youre playing singles, dont train reflex, train footwork and correct stroke. With those you'll never need to depend on an inhuman reflex. If your playing doubles, then train your reflex by doing drive drills and playing the wall as fast and hard as you can.

13. kabalen

kabalen Regular Member

^^^

imho, there is always room to improve your game. adding a training regimen for your reflexes wont harm your singles game, it will only enhance it. remember, in singles, wise opponents do not always smash or drive along the lines, they aim for you body like evolutionfung says. and having the know how like positioning your body and racket will help return the shot better. so, i recommend to add reflex excercises along with footwork, strokes, and stamina training in singles.;)

14. zydoce

zydoce Regular Member

Student
    yes, i think it is more convenience by adding reflex exercise along with usual exercise.. so it can be our advantage when playing a game.. cheers !~

15. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    We always do driving drills as a warmup excercise before we move into clearing. You definitely get faster at it.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Living room practice can endanger ur furniture or piss off the parents. :p Suggest to do so in a more spacy place (with a higher ceiling), like a gym, etc.

17. Antiiies

Antiiies Regular Member

Thats is no problem i have a a big house. But now wenn i have testet your tips, i feel that if you do all those things you will get reflex you are looking fore. it has increased my speed in a very short time.
    THANK YOU ALL!

18. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

i just usually hit against the wall and that improves my defense and my reaction speed. if you get bored, you can go further away and practice smash if you can hit it high and hard enough.

19. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    thats not true! in a scapey high aread you can mishit a shot and still continue hitting while playing in a tight space forces ALL of the shots you hit to be really tight and fast
    about the living roo part, i did that once and my parents WRE pissed, but no funiture was hurt :)

20. lamprey

lamprey New Member

software engineer
    Ideas from other post:

Drive is a good way to improve reflex. When you do drive, also try to close-up the distance gradually until you find you have difficulty rally.

Hitting again the wall is great. To make it even more fun, try to find an uneven wall, that way the birdie is more unpredictable. If you can do this at home, just find a solid wall outside and use a squash racket and ball instead. That way, the outdoor environment won't cause too much interference and the squash racket light enough to practice badminton swings.

Additional ideas:

On the court when you practice, try these as well.
    1) Keep knee slightly bend and try to move with your front half of you sole instead of your entire foot. It should have a springy feel, a more like hoping/dashing style.
    2) Learn to anticipate shots.
    3) Footwork, footwork, and more footwork. This means you need to strength your leg. Do stairmaster or a short run after your game can build more strength to your leg.
    4) Never lose balance - that's the biggest reflex killer. You might get the first shot, but the second, third shot, etc.. become more and more difficult because you take extra time to recover your balance. Keep your body straight and balance at all time. Use your leg instead of your body to adjust your position.

Cheers