Yet another racket recommandation topic

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Jubijub, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Jubijub

Jubijub New Member

Electrical CAD tools application engineer
    Hi,

First i'll answer the questions :

1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    ==> 2 days / week, an average of 5h/week ..more if there are competitions on the week ends
    2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    ==> Defensive I guess, I prefer mainly counterattacks (smashes as well as net play, no preference)..I also play a lot in doubles (I prefer beeing in the back and defend, and counterattack with a smath or cushionned shot when I can to surprise, I don't know if this technique has a name or even if this is a technique at all :D )

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    ==> I don't know...something balanced, I don't want to change every 6 months
    4. How much money do you want to spend?
    ==> not really a problem, I can afford even a ns9000 :)

Now more details :
    I've been playing every year for 6 years...I was playing an average of 5-6h/week in university club...but mainly for fun...(I never did any competition). Now I want to get more serious and start competition.

I'm tired of my current racket : it's a Wilson Titanium Quad 95 (~2U). It's a high flex shaft...I find it too inaccurate, and surprisingly, I feel like I have too much power (I make strong smashes, but I don't feel at ease at net play, especially since the racket/racket head is quite heavy). I want more control but on the other hand but I don't want to give up all the power

Concerning the grip I like thick grips that "fill" my hand...

Concerning string I'm not experienced at all in this area...so I don't know what's best for my usage

What do you recommand for that ?

2. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    Armortech 800's are good for doubles. If you can afford a NS9k, go for the type s one.
    IMO pretty much any high end racquet will be better than your current one, answer a few more questions though to pinpoint it:
    Do you want a stiff or flexible shaft?
    Do you prefer ISO or Oval head?
    Do you prefer Head Heavy or Head Light?

3. Jubijub

Jubijub New Member

That's more or less what I was thinking :)

OK that it's interresting...

I don't really know if I can answer all your questions but I'll try :

ISO or oval :
    Isometric...I prefer the larger sweet spot
    Stiff or flexible :
    mine is currently flexible, maybe too flexible...I know this has to do with power / control ...as I'm looking for something balanced, but a little bit towards more control, I'd say stiff
    Head heavy / head light :
    there I have no clue...I know this has again to do with power / control...

My goal : I want to regain some control (my current racket is way to much dedicated to power), yet I don't want to give up all the power (I don't have of smash power, I rely mainly on my wrist to give power to my smashes)

4. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    An ISO racquet that is STIFF and HEAD HEAVY would be Armortec 800 OF and Armortec 700
    An ISO racquet that is STIFF and HEAD LIGHT is the Nanospeed series excluding NS9k Type X
    An ISO racquet that is VERY STIFF and HEAD LIGHT would be Nanospeed 9000 type X
    An ISO racquet that is "MEDIUM STIFFish" and HEAD HEAVY would be Muscle Power Series, excluding MP100, which is very stiff.

go read the equipment reviews for more info

5. Jubijub

Jubijub New Member

Thank you for your answers...I think the amortec series seems to be what I'm looking for...the amortec 700 or 800 DEF seems to be quite nice indeed...