Zhou Mi's Controversy

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by ants, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Zhou Mi have interest in migrating to Malaysia. One of the reason is that she can still continue her dreams of playing in the pro circuit.

Before this, Zhou Mi has visited Malaysia on a personal trip. And acted as a sparring partner with Wong Mew Choo. But that trip itself has caused many reactions that she will be playing for Malaysia and it angered coach Li Yong Bo of China because of the news from the media.

Now she is playing and training on a state/provincial level after leaving the National Team of China after having some misunderstanding with LiYongBo.

The reason cited is because she is not satisfied and after being asked by LYB to "surrender" the match to another player during one of the international tournament.

The national coach of Malaysia, Yap Kim Hock however received the news regarding Zhou Mi's intention of coming to Malaysia. But he would like to know more from Zhou Mi herself.

He also understood that if she wants to migrate and play for Malaysia, according BAM's regulation as person is qualified to represent the country if he/she stays for 3 months in Malaysia.

Yap cited that he don't see any problems with her presence which will benefit the players here and the same time Zhou Mi is young and can still perform at a high level.

When she was sparring with Mew Choo during her visit in July and August, we paid for her lodging and food as well, he says.

Coach Kim Hock also says that at the meantime he can't decide on anything yet as the decision involves different parties at the same time. What he can do is to relay the new to the officers in BAM and its up to them to consider weather and decide weather the offer will be the best in BAM's best interest.

If BAM does accept the offer, i think this will definately be good for the future of Malaysian Badminton.

Ants

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Interesting news..can't wait to see new developments from this..

thanks for the news, ants..btw, mind giving us the source of this news??..thx;)
    Wow!!..what a news-breaker....If indeed she is going to move and play professionally for MAS, whoah, i can't wait to see the reaction of LYB...:eek: :rolleyes: :p ..It's *almost like* Mia moving from INA to play for another badminton-powerhouse country..:rolleyes: ;)
    BTW, when you mentioned above with the statement i've highlighted in bold, was that in reference to her losing to another CHN player??..hmm..:confused:

3. modious

modious Regular Member

I think that move will be good for Malaysia's Women team.

She's one of the few China players who actually made it to the China team so I think she can raise the standards in Malaysia.

Though I support China, it gets boring after a while if the women players on court in the finals are Chinese. ;)

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

LYB's gonna blow if this is true. ants's sources are probably very credible, hmmmm, this should be an interesting development.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think that's a story which will need some validation. The issue will need to be handled with some sensitivity. Is it meant to be an open secret?

6. kellybrooke

kellybrooke New Member

student
    How old is she? she can't have too many years left at this level?

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Why Msia,so naive, might as well be in Indonesia or South Thailand.

I'm sure she can get better deals from Denmark,Canada, Us ,HK or Taiwan or Singapore.

Maybe someone wants to marry her like Huang Hua.

8. ants

ants Regular Member

The source of the news is true from some players and my personal chat with coaches.
    In terms the "instruction"...Zhou Mi did not say which player was given the win or "priority". Probably to protect that individual. But from my discussion with various players, these "instructions" in a way is a way of life since their career depends on it thats also explains why many players don't dare to do anything about it.
    There are also matches was given away as well during tournaments which does not involve Zhou Mi.

However this issue is definately sensitive. But it can be an open secret since this stuffs are common but are not openly discussed since its SENSITIVE.

#8 ants, Sep 19, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic..

alright, thanks, ants for clarifying..;)
    Re the statement "matches were given away as well during tournaments", i can understand. My guess is, most likely it has to do with some "match fixing" within CHN's squad(esp. the women's) which was under scrutiny by the IBF abt 2-3 yrs. ago; and was publicly revealed and talked abt. If that's the case, i can understand her stance, cos as a professional athlete, she most likely wants to compete and give her best. But i also understand CHN's women's squad "dilemma" of having a stock full of talented women players; that they sometimes probably don't know how to deal with all those talents. It's quite ironic isn't it, esp. in comparison to PBSI's current situation....:rolleyes:...well, i think that's another different discussion..;)

10. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Yap, this is common in China involving not only badminton but also some other sports like Ping Pong and gymnastic. What i remember the most is the loss of Ye Zhao Ying in Olympic game Semi final due to the instructions given to her. She cried so much at the prize-giving ceremony though she only won a bronze medal.

11. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Hey guys, is "giving a match" considered match fixing? If yes and if what Zhou Mi said is true, then what LYB did was wrong. Fixing a match is the worst thing one can do in any sports. However, if this is a common practice, then I wish something can be done to stop this type of unethical behavior.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic..

..hmm, what do you think it is??..if IBF had to do some scrutiny and inquire the CHN team abt this, then it indicates??...:confused: ;)

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think we should stray away from accusing match fixing on secondary or tertiary evidence. They are serious accusations and not something we wish to be publicly started on this forum.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It is like any rumour. By the time it gets to the public it has already passed through 100 'hands', and what you get is probably very different from the truth. I think BC members should refrain from passing on such rumours. It could get you in trouble.

15. ants

ants Regular Member

No point defending any party. Anyway hope Zhou Mi can settle her issues and probably looking foward to see her on board to Malaysia.

16. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

Hmmm, she can come to Australia if she wants, we need all the help we can get, lol.

17. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

If she really has the intention to migrate and play for other country, I am sure she will have lots of choices. There are already so many ex-national players from China playing for other countries, this should not be an exceptional case.

18. zzz...

zzz... Regular Member

i thought ZM has retired from Chinese team because of her knee injury?

anyway, it will be good for malysia or whichever country she chooses to go to. all the best for her.

19. roller

roller Regular Member

Wish Singapore could poach her...

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    In our HK newspaper today, it mentions that Zhou Mi might be one of the applicants to enter HK as a resident. This is through a scheme by which people with special skills can enter and gain residency. Olympic athletes can come under consideration.

Personally, I think only sports where individuals can last a long time can benefit from a gifted athlete winning medals. Of course, in the longer term, an individual can contribute by passing on their experience.

I think the scheme was set up to attract talented individuals but not particularly with sports in mind.