If i were to buy ONE non-badminton related item for training...

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ChocoChipWaffle, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

what should i buy? price range should be around $200 or below, and it can be something like weights or training vests etc. As long as it BUILDS my smash power or leg muscles etc. what's recommended?

2. noluckjim

noluckjim Regular Member

Student
    A coach if you can :)

Or a decent pair of shoes, assuming this is something you may not have. There's nothing worse in training than not being able to move around the court due to your shoes - sliding, unstableness, etc = not cool

wait, non-badminton? I guess my preference is to try and improve footwork over smashes - perhaps some ankle weights? Any of your suggestions can work, so long as you know how to effectively utilise them.

#2 noluckjim, Sep 18, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  3. Chire

Chire Regular Member

Skipping rope, a gym ball (or whatever it's called) that weighs 1-1,5 kg as well as an elastic band (believe me, it is of utmost importance for a badminton player to do excercises with an elastic band, I think I'll start a thread about it sometime soon).
    Cheap and effective, in total something like $20-30.

But that's not one. But then again, the cost is extremely low as well.

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

a jumpign rope and a cheap squash racket? (~30 euro's total..)
    and maybe a chin-up bar..

5. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    I'm not sure what they're called but they are like squeezy balls that go in the palm of your hand. They strengthen fingers and forearm muscles

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I know what you mean, I've got a GripII ball. is pretty difficult to sqeeze the first 2 times..after that it's all soft..

and personally: I don't think it works as well as a squash racket. the ball train your fingers/wrist to grip tightly, but slow. the squasher teaches your msucles to contract fast and hard..

7. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    ..but you can just squash the ball more slowly can't you? You might be right about the squash racket being better. I supose the advantage of a squasher is that you can carry it round and be strengthening those muscles whilst on the train/bus/walking etc

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Oh wait...With "the squasher" I meant my squash racket...silly nickname, sorry...
    well, you can try squashing the ball faster, to get the squashracket-like practise...but I can't really do it.

another fun practise is to try open&close your hand twice within a second